Horror Aficionados discussion

Live Girls (Davey Owen #1)
This topic is about Live Girls
Buddy Reads > Live Girls - Ray Garton (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (last edited Aug 29, 2013 04:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Hi everyone,

Starting a buddy read of this on Monday 2nd September. If anyone would like to join please feel free to add to the discussion and I'll add your name.

So far it's:

Mehmet
Kate
Addy
Walter

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments As I noted elsewhere, I read this one for Charlene's Shelfari group not too terribly long ago, so I could join in the discussion.

Addy | 4989 comments If I can borrow it, I will join. I have alot on my plate, so if I get it, I may be a little slow. I've been wanting to try garton, especially ravenous:)

Mehmet | 1217 comments That be good Walter sure be good to get a great discussion going. This be my first Ray Garton novel, so am really looking forward to it. Hope you be able to join Addy :-)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Addy, I have a Kindle copy I should be able to loan.

Kate | 3520 comments Addy wrote: "If I can borrow it, I will join. I have alot on my plate, so if I get it, I may be a little slow. I've been wanting to try garton, especially ravenous:)"

I'll add your name, Addy.

Kate | 3520 comments Walter wrote: "As I noted elsewhere, I read this one for Charlene's Shelfari group not too terribly long ago, so I could join in the discussion."

Do you want me to add your name, Walter?

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Sure Kate, I'll join in.

Kate | 3520 comments Great. :)

Mehmet | 1217 comments This should be a fun buddy read. :-)

message 11: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. Awesome! Thanks Walter! I'll pm you my address.

Mehmet | 1217 comments wooohooo its time :-)

message 13: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Ill be starting tomorrow.

Mehmet | 1217 comments I started book, but i will slow down my reading till you start Addy. Anyone else started ?

message 15: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments No yet, but will try and get the first couple of chapters read.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Ok kate, i be reading tonight when i finish work. I also read a couple of chapters.

message 17: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I'm only 10% and so far the beginning has really taken off! This could be good!

Mehmet | 1217 comments I am on page 50 and have to agree Addy, the book gone into action mode laymon style ! Enjoying the book so far :-)

Mehmet | 1217 comments What can i say the book has hooked me, I like the progression of the story and it has some interesting commentary mixed in. Sparsely but there never the less.

message 20: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I'm not very far in but enjoying it so far. Davey's first visit to Live Girls was certainly an experience.

message 21: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Yes it was Kate...lol. I'm about 20% in and I'm mainly reading this one and one other book so hopefully I can get a good chunk in. I'm really enjoying myself. This is my first Ray Garton book and I'm pretty happy so far.

message 22: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I agree Mehmet. I'm totally hooked!

message 23: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I'm at 31% and really enjoying the story. I like Davey but he's obviously hopeless when it comes to woman. (view spoiler)

Mehmet | 1217 comments I am 48% and wondered if anyone else thought that the changes going through davey are a sort of metophor for drugs ? I am enjoying the book lots, although Ray Garton has stuck some nasty bits in the story !

message 25: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Hah, I enjoy the nasty bits. ;)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Its just Ray Garton mixes the horrible bits so well into the story that to be frank they shock me and made me cringe :-O especially one particular scene between
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments What did u all think of Anya's performance at the Midnight club? Pretty strange.

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I did think WTF when I read it. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Lol! I totally agree. I felt the same way.

message 30: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments (view spoiler)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Yeah the dance scene in the midnight club was weird. The whole club is very deranged :-C

Mehmet | 1217 comments Wow finished the book last night and was impressed. It was a great twist on vampires and loads of fun. loved Ray Garton vision of the red light district and clubs being used at bases for the evil deeds.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I remember my first trip to NYC back around 1980 or so, and Garton did an excellent job of nailing the ambience of the time.

Mehmet | 1217 comments Was New York really rough in the 80s Walter ? its not really portrayed as a friendly place in 80s films and lit.

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I can't say that my one week-long visit gave me much in the way of unique insights, Mehmet. All I can tell you is that it seemed to me sex was being sold just about everywhere I turned. Got chased out of a bar by some guy, manager or owner, never figured out why.

I went with some folks to a Broadway show, and I remember opening the door to the theater for a young woman struggling with an armful of packages while everyone nearby pretty much ignored her. I remember the look she gave me, as though I'd just sprouted a third eye in the middle of my forehead. She turned out to be one of the actors in the play, and when I spoke to her later, I was surprised to learn that that simple act of courtesy stuck out in her mind. So yes, I'd say the city had a bit of an edge to it back then. :)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Thanks Walter, its just nice to hear from first hand experience. Reading is one thing but even one week visting a place helps you learn something no matter how small.

message 37: by Karl Hexean (new) - added it

Karl Hexean Sumner | 2 comments Just saw this: http://www.gofundme.com/48o4vc Seems that Mr. Garton is having medical trouble and needs help.

Such a fun writer- cool to see that his fans a rallying to help. :)

message 38: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments The meet between Benedek and Davey is getting really interesting.

message 39: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments For a vampire book this is really good. I almost feel something for Anya though I don't know what it is...pity or maybe sadness.

message 40: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I'm at 43%, really enjoying it. Addy, I like the interaction between Benedek and Davey too. I like Benedek's character.
Maybe I haven't read enough of it yet, but the only person I really feel sorry for is Casey.

message 41: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I think we're at the same spot. I'm at 43% too. I guess maybe I wonder what her back story is. Did u get to the part where Davey finds an album?

message 42: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments No, not yet.
I like the multiple POV of the story. I'm hoping for a bit more back story on Anya as well. She's certainly an interesting character.

message 43: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments Mehmet wrote: "Its just Ray Garton mixes the horrible bits so well into the story that to be frank they shock me and made me cringe :-O especially one particular scene between
[spoilers removed]"

Ok that scene made me go 'ewwww'.

message 44: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I'm at 52%. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I'm hoping to get in a few chapters tonight:)

message 46: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I can't remember Cedric from earlier? I know I'm having a brain fart. What part did he get killed?

message 47: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments The prostitute who gets killed mentions him.

message 48: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Oh ok. I'll have to go back and see.

Mehmet | 1217 comments I missed that part too ! When Cedric name was mentioned i thought hey i know that name. My favourite character is Casey.

message 50: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 3520 comments I like Casey too, she's got balls!

« previous 1