YA readers discussion

Book talk > what is your favourite book?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 67 comments Mod
My favourite book changes all the time right now it would have to be Matched by Ally Condie

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Bahahha it's like asking me what body part I would be most ok living without!

I'll at least limit it to my favourite books I read this year, so Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (oh my god this has to be the best book I will read all year. There is no way any other book can topple how AMAZING this book is). Followed by Linked by Imogen Howson, and the Graceling trilogy which I finished this year.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Bahahha it's like asking me what body part I would be most ok living without!

I'll at least limit it to my favourite books I read this year, so Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (oh my god this has..."

I know how you feel my mind goes blank of all the books I've read or I just love them all so much so I tend to go with the one that I loved the most in the past few months

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Most of my favourite books were ones I grew up with - like Harry Potter, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy, anything by Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley, or Madeleine L'Engle (Robin McKinley's Shadows in on netgalley AND I WANT TO BE APPROVED SO HARD! I don't have a large following on my blog though, so I'm thinking it's unlikely :( but you never know!). What are some of your other favourites?

message 5: by Emma (new)

I also enjoyed the hunger games trilogy, the zellie wells trilogy and the soul guardian series oh the list could go on

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments My favourites are as follows Harry potter only book form, The Kane Chronicles, Percy Jackson series, The hero's of Olympus series, House of night, Disney W.I.T.C.H, The Chronicles of Narnia series only film, some history books and last one of the favourites but might be more coming LOL is Agatha Christie's Poirot.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Whaaaaaaat you didn't like The Chronicles of Narnia books?!? The movies are pretty good though, I'd have to agree. I've never heard of Disney W.I.T.C.H. - what's it about?

I don't know the Zellie Wells or Soul Guardian books either, what are those about? And of course I'm with you 100% on The Hunger Games. What did you think about the ending? A lot of people hated it, but I thought it was PERFECT. There seriously couldn't be a more perfect ending for the trilogy!

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments WHAT I didn't say that I Didn't like the Chronicles of Narnia books. I just haven't read them yet, because I've only WATCHED THEM first before I had gotten the books.

Now about the Disney W.I.T.C.H the best way to get to know about them is to go to this website: http://www.disney.co.uk/Publishing/Wi... or this one: http://www.clubwitch.com.au/ okay will that help you. If yes or no just let me know,okay and your welcome.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Ikr this is the first book in the zellie wells trilogy Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1) by Stacey Wallace Benefiel and This is the first in the soul guardian series Marked (Soul Guardians, #1) by Kim Richardson

message 10: by Emma (new)

Marked has quite a bit of mixed reviews I think this book series is a love it hate it thing like marmite

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) HAHAHAH I forgot you weren't American! I was like...how does she know what marmite is?!? Marmite is disgusting. But the smell of it makes me nostalgic, so I always thing I like it, slather it on my toast. And then proceed to hating it. It's a vicious cycle I can't break.

@Elizabeth - OHHHHH! I was about to make lots of sad faces hahaha. You should read them when you get a chance. They're definitely middle grade rather than YA as there's no romance to speak of, but they're a fun read.

I'll be checking all the links when I get a chance to sit down and read!

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) The Soul Guardian series looks like it is TOTALLY up my alley! And the Zellie Wells trilogy looks quite good as well. The W.I.T.C.H show looks cute! I don't watch anything not on Netflix or Hulu though as I am suuuuuuuper lazy when it comes to TV!

message 13: by Emma (new)

Well I could be if I wanted - some times I slip in to the ascent when I'm acting bad idea when you are meant to be a pretty much English girl who is articulate not posh

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) So you act then?

message 15: by Emma (new)

Yeah I do in fact last summer I got my first big role! Haven't been doing much since then but I have to auditions lined up on on Tuesday/Friday - with school - and an audition for a show which all of TH money that is made will go to charity! (Children in need)

message 16: by Emma (new)

And I also sing

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) That's awesome!! What role/play/musical was it? I'm assuming you do musicals as well if you sing

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) And what two are you auditioning for?

message 19: by Emma (new)

At school I'm doing The Wizard of oz - so I need to be amazing auction to get a good part or I'll end up as an munchkin :s - and in my theatre group (were I get the auction thingy for children in need) we are doing Frank n' Steve (a Frankenstein based but it faces problems like teenage depression and stuff like that)

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Wizard of Oz as a play or musical? I've not heard of Frank n Steve. (which surprises me, because as a musician I'm pretty good with my musicals). It sounds really cool though I'm going to have to look it up! What are some of your favourite plays/musicals?

message 21: by Emma (new)

The musical I guess? Last year I was in the play version of Larkrise to Candleford.

I like not a massive fan of musicals myself which is kind of ironic! But whenever my family is in London for a while we go see a musical! I absolutely adored Wicked and I loved (the first one I saw) we will rock you which was amazing! In our local theatre I saw foot lose with my friends and some of my teachers when I was at my dance school when I was younger were it! And we'll at Scholl we basically do musicals every year the first one I did was fiddler on the roof then a musical version of a midsummer night's dream the Aladdin then the king and I then hairspray! At my old acting group thingy (stagecoach) I was in camp rock , honk , cats,a Rold daul thingy (can't spell today), we did a grimms brother story (the one when this guy says death can be the g is farther) hairspray and one or two others

Which is all really ironic as I'm not a massive fan of musicals what are your favourite?

message 22: by Emma (new)

That took forever to type out

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments I'm good at singing at my time in high school I had done solos, group choirs, singing during a Joseph and the technicolour dream coat musical and some Christmas shows and I've done a bit of comedy acting in drama class at high school.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Yay we have such a musical group!

I'd have to say my favourite musical is Aida. If you haven't heard it, the original cast starred Adam Pascal, Heather Headley, and Sherie Renee Scott, and they are all absolutely phenomenal - particularly Heather Headley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1t6W2...

That's a song that showcases all three voices, although there are better songs for more impressive solo stuff. If you listen to the song at least listen until the third voice enters so you can hear Heather Headley because she is AMAZING.

Into The Woods is probably a close second to Aida (fairy tale retellings!! But really, the music is wonderful). I also really love Godspell, Rent, and like a billion others now that I think of it. I'm not hugely into the music of The Last 5 Years, but the concept behind it is really unique. I think they might be doing a movie adaption, which is pretty interesting.

What voice types are you?

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments I'm mostly into choir kind of like Sister acts 1 and 2.

Also I had two solo songs of Robert burns first on My hearts in the highlands and yea banks and braes of bonnie dune, if I've got that correct. Does are the voice types I know and did.

Also I like the songs from Anne the little orphan girl, who gets a new family in the end.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) You know, the only songs I can remember from Annie...would song singular because the only one I remember is Tomorrow hahaha. I haven't seen it in ages!

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) I don't know either of those - who are they by?

message 28: by liv (new)

liv (femmefataie) Alice In Zombieland

message 29: by Emma (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Yay we have such a musical group!

I'd have to say my favourite musical is Aida. If you haven't heard it, the original cast starred Adam Pascal, Heather Headley, and Sherie Renee Scott, and they..."

No idea I can do anything my friend is always like I want your voice you can sing anything it Not that great especially for auditions you need the perfect song that can show off your voice

message 30: by Emma (new)

Oliviah wrote: "Alice In Zombieland"

My friend wants me to read that book!

message 31: by liv (new)

liv (femmefataie) It is such a good book can't wait until the next one been waiting for what feels forever

message 32: by Emma (new)

I know how that feels waiting for a book there is a book I really want to read it's not coming out till late October!

message 33: by liv (new)

liv (femmefataie) What book also the one I am waiting for comes out in October too

message 34: by Emma (new)

Altered (Crewel World, #2) by Gennifer Albin