YA readers discussion

getting to know you > Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (foreverlookingforward) | 67 comments Mod
Hey I'm Emma I LOVE to read young adult books right now I am reading Matched Trilogy Box Set by Ally Condie and I am reading the second one!

message 2: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments Hi I'm Ally and I am new to this site and I'd lobe to make some new friends!

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Hi! I'm Elizabeth, and I blog about YA books. (I haven't read Matched yet, Emma it's on my TBR though!). I'm in serious need of people I can fangirl with as I have very few friends who read, and if they do....it's nonfiction...blegh.

message 4: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hi! I'm Elizabeth, and I blog about YA books. (I haven't read Matched yet, Emma it's on my TBR though!). I'm in serious need of people I can fangirl with as I have very few friends who read, and..."

Nice to meets you what do you like to fan girl over - matched is really good you won't be disappointed!

message 5: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments I read it too which is ironic because I have the same name as the author!

message 6: by Emma (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Hi! I'm Elizabeth, and I blog about YA books. (I haven't read Matched yet, Emma it's on my TBR though!). I'm in serious need of people I can fangirl with as I have very few friends who read, and..."

Hi Elizabeth and Ally hope you guys have fun what books do you fan girl over - probably fan girl over the same things!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Most recently I discovered Sarah Rees Brennan's Unspoken and OH MY GOD WHERE HAS THAT BOOK BEEN ALL MY LIFE (not written yet, but still).

Overall I'm a huge fan of Kristin Cashore, Robin McKinley, Tamora Pierce, Deb Caletti, Philip Pullman, Garth Nix, Clive Barker...honestly my list could go on forever. So I primarily read YA fantasy, but I occasionally dip my toe into YA contemporary. You guys?

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments Hi all,

I'm Elizabeth and I go by the nickname of BonnieBay.

I've read all of the Eragon books and House of Night. I like Young Adults, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, a bit of Crime new to Agatha Christie (started to read Mom's collection and it's good).

Also, my Mom writes books about special Vampires - she's not published yet, but we're hoping she will soon...

At least she's got a website, but I'm not telling that's up to her LOL!

BonnieBay
BB

message 9: by Emma (new)

I read fantasy too and some of the others but right now very into fantasy.

message 10: by Emma (last edited Aug 31, 2013 02:49PM) (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Hi all,

I'm Elizabeth and I go by the nickname of BonnieBay.

I've read all of the Eragon books and House of Night. I like Young Adults, Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal, a bit of Crime new to Agatha..."

Nice to meet you I know a few people who like vampire books when she get published I could get them to review it for her if should would like.

I also like paranormal, romance. Not that big of a fan for crime though

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments If you want to know her website to read chapter samples. I can ask her cause she's on the other sofa, i can give you her website address, Emma.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Aww thanks that would be great!

message 14: by Emma (new)

Thanks

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments Your welcome Emma.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Ahhhh I keep seeing your name and being like...when did I write that? Good thing you've got a nickname haha! Nice to meet you BonnieBay!

I thought the Eragon series was quite good, but the first book was easily my favourite I'd say. Ehhh or maybe my second. I wasn't quite as attached to the later two, but I think it's because I had so much time between books

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments It's nice to meet you Elizabeth. I have a thing about Dragons, I've also have seen the film of Eragon, it was terrific but the downfall was that the film was not totally completed because of the writer's strike and that's not the only film that was on the writer's strike .

There was the film called the golden compass, which is also based on a book called His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) I LOVE His Dark Materials! I thought they did a fairly decent job with the movie, all things taken into consideration.

message 19: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments I think they couldn't do the another film in the series because of the Catholic church or something like that

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments I haven't read His dark Materials at all, but I hoping the film markers would do a sequel for the next book Eldest.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments Hi Ally, I like your photo. It's Dawn from the pokemon series Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl.

I LOVE that series, because of the cutest little pokemon ever. I've even got some pokemon trading cards and two NDS games of pokemon diamond / pearl versions. :-)

message 22: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments Yah! Someone who knows Pokémon I just think the picture just sums Dawn up so well! I thinks so too Pokémon diamond and pearl jab the cutest pokémon especially the bunny ones (can't remember name) I have the DS one of diamond and finished it and going to do it all over again ^_^

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments The bunny pokemon is called Buneary. I So LOVE Buneary as well the bunny pokemon is so CUTE. ^_^

That's great I've got someone who also likes bunnies Yippee.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) AHHHH I didn't notice you had a pokemon avatar!! Bahahha what a weird place to find so many pokemon fans. I actually got a nintendo ds...specifically so I could play the new games because the emulators for macs are still awful...*Shamefaced*

You should read His Dark Materials!!! They're so good! Yeah the church put up a big fuss, and I'm not surprised. To my recollection the first book isn't a big deal and could almost be a standalone, but the next two...are different. They deal with some topics some might call blasphemous haha

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments WOW I'm really surprised that there's pokemon fans as well and I'll get my chances to get my hands on the dark materials.

I can't be sure when I'm going to get it but if I do, I'll let you know, okay.

message 26: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments I didn't think there would be pokemon fans on here just all book fans

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments You'll be surprised what you can find out from people online.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Yayyy! You'll have to let me know what you think - they aren't high fantasy like Eragon. It's a pretty unique world building, so I'll be interested know how you feel about them

I've found that a lot of book lovers are also anime/manga lovers too. Are any of you interested in either of those?

message 29: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments I am interested in those are you familiar with "death note" I am in the middle of watching the series but my brother told me how L dies which I think is kind of mean :(

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) AHH! That's terrible for spoilers haha. I actually had to stop watching it...it gave me nightmares...I'm such a baby!!!

message 31: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments Ha ha I almost stopped myself I saw one or two of the ones near the end so I started to watch it from the start and I sort of found it hard to get into because I know it is more exciting - does that make sense

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments I like only anime not the manga books, because I've never read them at all. The examples of tv series that are kind of like manga is Sailor moon, Pretty cure, Mew mew power and pokemon.

message 33: by Ally (new)

Ally Rose Bailey (Allyrosebailey) | 10 comments Oh I loved new new power but it never showed to series after that one when she was meant to meet that guy and she runs after him - can't remember name of the episode -dubbed in English

Death note is a manga book and t.v. anime series and two film versions but most people don't like them

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments I've seen all two seasons of mew mew power, one season on TV and the 2nd was from the Youtube.com I got to see what happen on the ending of the first season.

There was an anime film called Dragonball Evolution that was a good film, also I've seen the first season dragon ball tv series that was good and the now dragonball z Kia I'm not into it now.

message 35: by Emma (new)

My sister when we were younger (about two three years ago) was looking through the child's part of t.v. oD and came across technology Dragon ball one and started to watch it and ended up in for a of laughter - and after all this time I still have no idea why

message 36: by Elizabeth (last edited Sep 03, 2013 02:06PM) (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) I didn't know there were film versions of Death Note! Are they live action? I never really got Dragonball, but I think I'm in the minority on that one.

Have any of you read/seen Skip Beat? It's MY FAVOURITE EVER and is actually the reason I started reading manga. I also loved Fruits Basket - it was the reason I started watching anime! I tend to like shoujo but with great lead characters...not wimpy save me I'm so weak and pretty and virtuous leads (I'm looking at YOU Black Bird! And yet I still read it...). Although I read plenty of other genres as well.

Have any of you read Hana Kimi or Tokyo Crazy Paradise? Those are pretty fantastic as well, and Hana Kimi has anime I think? And a live action show that was quite good. I watch a bit of Korean/Japanese dramas as well....any of you into that at all?

Speaking of TV, what do you guys like to watch? Sorry I just downed a cup of FANTASTIC FRENCH PRESS COFFEE. It's making me a bit excitable...and chatty...

message 37: by Emma (new)

Yeah they are live action. My sister knows what website they are on and I can post a link - when she tells me- no I haven't read any of those - but I want read those type of books but it will just make my reading list ten times more long!

I don't watch that much t.v. as I used to but I like these:
· How I met Your Mother
·The Big Bang Theory
· Pokemon - it had to be mentioned
· The Great British Bake Off - when it's on
· Friends

That is it really. Oh and death note - not sure it counts though cos it's on DVD not sure if it was aired in the UK

message 38: by Emma (new)

I was like that today very hyper for no reason - my teacher's were not impressed - apart from the head of the group

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) I LOVE HIMYM!! Surprisingly Ted and Robin are my least favourite characters, and the show remains a favourite. And Friends is a classic (that makes me feel old, but it's true).

I'm a huge fan of any show by Joss Whedon - Buffy, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc. I'm also really into Once Upon A Time which is a FANTASTIC show. It's a really complex retelling of classic fairy tales. This is a horrible way to describe it...you should look it up, I expect someone else has a nice summary haha

What's the head of the group? Do you have like a team leader for all teh teachers?

message 40: by Emma (new)

We have like are form reps (that's two students) then we have (form captains - my best friend and someone else) then we have register people (people who get the register - which is me and someone else) then we have our from tutors(people who register us) then we have a year helper (person who does the register if form tutor is not there) then we have head of group/year (which you go to if you need help with something and they organise day trips out and is in charge of everyone that is mentioned)

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Wowwwwww

Oh wait I guess that is SORT of like our student council? In any case your school sounds way more organized than mine was haha

message 42: by Emma (new)

Well it's private so

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Ah well that could definitely be why haha

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments I've watched Buffy tv series and the film of buffy and the vampire slayer, but with a different girl playing as Buffy and friends, but there sometimes funny and only when I'm in the mood.

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Oh god I never watched the movie hahaha. I've heard some funny things about it. Did you ever watch the spin off of Buffy? It follows Angel.

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (bonniebay) | 27 comments I'm not sure if I've seen it or not, but I have seen the series of Angel.

My GOSH he was soooo handsome I felt like I was going to melt into a tiny puddle, LOL.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) I know right?! I liked him better before he turned into a man though (like the first of two seasons Buffy), then he got all broad and super muscular. I think most people probably it when he got all super muscular - I just happen to have weird taste in boys haha

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (hitchhikerbooks) Hi Zeina, nice to meet you!

message 49: by Emma (new)

Hey there Zeina nice to meet you - I love your name btw- and I hope you have fun talking about stuff

message 50: by Emma (new)

What sort of stuff do you write

« previous 1