Beatdom discussion

What are you reading this now?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (beatdom) | 62 comments Mod
I'm reading Turning the Tables by Stephen W. Palmer.

message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim Gause | 4 comments Vanity of Duluoz

message 3: by Ralph (new)

Ralph | 2 comments Maggie Cassidy

message 4: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Mcdowell | 7 comments The dharma bums

message 5: by David (new)

WOw. Everyone's reading Kerouac!

message 6: by Bérénice (new)

Bérénice (uhfoxy) | 1 comments No, I read Harry Potter, ahah

message 7: by Nevada (new)

Nevada McPherson | 4 comments Just starting to read The Beat Hotel.

message 8: by David (new)

David Corvine (davidcorvine) | 8 comments Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler getting a strong sense of Alain-Fournier and Kafka.

message 9: by David (new)

Nevada wrote: "Just starting to read The Beat Hotel."

That's the Barry Miles book, right? What did you make of it?

message 10: by Sanne (new)

Sanne | 1 comments Have finally worked up the courage to start Infinite Jest, about two years after purchasing it.

message 11: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Villalobos (charlievilla) | 1 comments I'm just starting Big Sur and half way thru Book of sketches.

message 12: by David (new)

Sanne wrote: "Have finally worked up the courage to start Infinite Jest, about two years after purchasing it."

I got stuck into it a couple of yrs back, but never really made a dent in it. It was on Kindle and the "you are 0.00000% way thru this book" notes made me frustrated.

message 13: by Johnny (new)

Johnny D | 11 comments Just started Naked Lunch again, found it un-readable on my last attempt

message 14: by David (new)

John wrote: "Just started Naked Lunch again, found it un-readable on my last attempt"

"Un-readable" is a common observation, but with the right eyes, it's an enjoyable book. Do let us know how you get on.

message 15: by David (new)

David Corvine (davidcorvine) | 8 comments After a very long interlude I'm re-reading Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.

message 16: by Stephane (new)

Stephane | 1 comments Does Hubert Selby Jr qualifies as Beat.
Been going through 3 of his works and so keen about his writing.

message 17: by David (new)

Stephane wrote: "Does Hubert Selby Jr qualifies as Beat.
Been going through 3 of his works and so keen about his writing."

It's tough to define Beat, but by some definitions he would be included. We're looking at including something on him for the next issue.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nikolopoulos (stephanieniko) | 8 comments Nevada wrote: "Just starting to read The Beat Hotel."

Great book! There's also a documentary about it.

Burning Furiously Beautiful The True Story of Jack Kerouac's On the Road by Paul Maher Jr.

message 19: by Nevada (new)

Nevada McPherson | 4 comments David wrote: "Nevada wrote: "Just starting to read The Beat Hotel."

That's the Barry Miles book, right? What did you make of it?"

I liked it very much! I've read about the Beats' travels in America (mostly Jack's) so learning about Ginsberg's, Burrough's and Corso's Paris experience and the work it inspired was very interesting.

message 20: by Nevada (new)

Nevada McPherson | 4 comments Stephanie wrote: "Nevada wrote: "Just starting to read The Beat Hotel."

Great book! There's also a documentary about it.

Burning Furiously Beautiful The True Story of Jack Kerouac's On the Road by Paul Maher Jr."

Thanks for letting me know, I will check it out. I also look forward to reading Burning Furiously Beautiful!

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Scown | 4 comments Naked lunch it is for me

message 22: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Kim | 4 comments East Hill Farm by Gordon Ball - very good

message 23: by Haley (new)

Haley (goodreadscomhaleymariee) | 4 comments post office- Bukowski

message 24: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments Beatdom No. 14

message 26: by Jackson (new)

Jackson Kim | 4 comments Jason, I don't believe this letter was published. Have you read the Salon article on the letter?

message 27: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 35 comments Yes Jackson, thought it was being released and thought the above book was the one. Realised it was published years ago. Interesting article.

message 28: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments David wrote: "Dream Story by Arthur Schnitzler getting a strong sense of Alain-Fournier and Kafka."
They based "Eyes Wide Shut" on "Dream Story," or I'm pretty sure. It really is a surreal book at the dawn of psychoanalysis and impinging fascist takeover.

message 29: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments Nicole wrote: "Naked lunch it is for me"

It's for everyone, an All-American novel!

message 30: by Seth (new)

Seth Kupchick (goodreadscomseth_kupchick) | 41 comments David wrote: "Sanne wrote: "Have finally worked up the courage to start Infinite Jest, about two years after purchasing it."

I got stuck into it a couple of yrs back, but never really made a dent in it. It was ..."

Yeah, I just checked "Infinite Jest" out of the library and I'm having a very hard time with it. I acknowledge Foster's great with sentences and words, but it's daunting. He made books hard again.