Curvy Girls Rock! discussion

Body Politics > Dieting

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 56 comments I am not sure if this would be the right place for this but I have been seeing a personal trainer for a month now. My goal is a size 18 and I have a long road to get there. On Monday I had to start a food journal, which means that as of Monday I am on a diet. I don't want to have to write down what I eat, so instead of lying, I am dieting. It f'in SUCKS.
I am hungry, I am bitchy, moody, did I mention bitchy? It is like pms permanently.
Last night was the worst so far. We had salad for supper which was yummy and awesome but then before the children went to bed they wanted an ice cream cone. Ice cream is my weakness. It is my go to. It is my best friend. I will say that after licking the spoon I left it alone. To turn around and see my husband suck down a bag of chips. Tipping it up and pouring the last crumbs into his mouth. And he was watching ice road truckers and my son was screaming his delight. I had to go hide in my room and try not to kill anyone.
I freakin hate this.

If anyone else is experiencing the same stuff, please place your story here.

I still think curvy girls rock, I just want to be a healthy girl at the same time.

message 2: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Healthy is so important, Sandra. It took me years to regulate my weight. I'm convinced that the only thing that keeps me on the straight and narrow now is the fact my hubby developed blood sugar issues- not life threatening, but just enough to make him loopy if he eats too much junk food. I've learned the only thing that works is to leave the junk out of the shopping trip altogether. If I bring chips into the house, I eat them. Plain and simple. If I don't buy them, I don't eat them. Perhaps it's time to have a talk with your hubs and see if he'd be amenable to some "house diet" changes...for moral support.

You have my best wishes. You can do it! :)

message 3: by Yolandi (new)

Yolandi | 1 comments Hi Sandra, I know how you feels. Im a proud curvy girl, but also decided that I want to be healthy and not tired all the time. Since Im eating healthier, Im also moody. Instead of hubby to support me, he eats chips and chocolates in front of me. The only reason Im trying to hold out is the fact that I have decided to make my dream come true to go on a boat cruise (which will happen in Feb 2014 for 14 days).

We will keep each other motivated. My goal is also to be size 18, and healthy.

Good luck! I know we can do it!!

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 56 comments My new goal is to give up the night eating. That is going to be tough because it is my binge time. I wasn't home most of last night but once I settled on the couch with my glass of water, I could hear the fridge singing to me. That evil temptress.
Good luck to you too. It would be great if we bitched to each other here to let off the pressure.

message 5: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Sandra wrote: "My new goal is to give up the night eating. That is going to be tough because it is my binge time. I wasn't home most of last night but once I settled on the couch with my glass of water, I could h..."

Night eating is the enemy!

message 6: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Allan (paulineallan) | 547 comments Mod
I have yo-yo dieted since I was 12 years old. I have battled eating disorders and I'm most definitely an emotional eater. I agree with Rosanna that night eating is the devil. I crave sugary cereal late at night. Ugh...I have two little boys who have the appetite of a desperate lion! They could eat all day and they are as skinny as a stick. I have found some tricks to keeping weight down or losing those pounds. First...find an emotional balance. Believe me I've been though years of counseling to figure this out. We eat according to how we feel. Healthy weight=healthy mind. Exercise is imperative. Walk for 15 mins a day. This isn't to melt the pounds, this is to release the dopamine in the brain which controls pleasure. It tricks your brain into not wanting food. Also...water is the key!! Drink water all day. Helps the belly to feel full and flushes out what you eat. Fiber is a must and a food journal really can be an eye opener. I struggle daily with my weight. I love my curves, but sometimes I just wish my chubby belly would not jiggle quite so excitedly! Lol. I hope these tips help and we are all here to support each other!! Hey...let's post some recipes on here too. If you've got a healthy alternative to our all time comfort foods share them!!

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Mason (goodreadscompatricia_mason) | 2 comments I'm married to a fitness buff. he goes to the gym for a hour and a half a day. I've been going (not for an hour nad a half a day - who has time to do that besides a man!). I hate, hate, hate it. I will never love to exercises - those dompaine brain thingies - I've yet to meet one.

As women we take care of ourselves last. It's hard to eat those 6 small meals aday - again who has the freaking time!

The late night eating is key - don't do it.
having said that I had lost 30 pounds last year, have gained 15 back and am trying AGAIN. When I want something I ask myself is it work ten mintues on the eliptical? Usually my answer is no, so I feel strong enough to pass it up.

Good luck - and, do it because you want to feel better, not look closer to societies view of beauty, because why girls?

CURVY GIRLS ROCK!!!

message 8: by Pauline (new)

Whoot!!! Yes we do!!

message 9: by Tory (new)

Tory Richards (toryrichards) I'm at the age where if I were lose weight it would definitely be for health reasons. I've been on the yo yo diet my whole life. All that wasted time stressing over it! The smallest I've ever been in my adult life is an 8...someone in the group said their goal is a size 18, I would love to get down to that size!

My problem is that I learned a long long time ago if I don't have it in my head, nothing is going to make me lose weight. No diets, fasting, pills, nothing! Unless I've made up my mind. That's how I went from a size 22 to an 8, and I managed to keep it off for a few years. How did I do it? I ate all day long, but in bite size portions. And I was never hungry! But like someone else said, who has time to eat 6 small meals a day? It's also hard to make yourself eat when you're not hungry.

My other problem is that I'm short! LOL So now I don't obsess over it anymore. I actually feel pretty good, except for some health issues that aren't weight related.

message 10: by Marli (new)

Marli Pretorius (marlipretorius) | 6 comments I have been on so many diets that I have lost track of what I use to weigh and where I was originally going. It was unhealthy I have actually scared my self so. Got to a stage where I refused to eat and lost 20 kg (44pounds) in 6 weeks.

Thanks to some wonderful people in my life that got me on the right track two years ago. I have lost weight naturally and have kept it of.

The amount is not that huge but it is a step in the right direction. Eating healthy and being active is one of the secrets. Lots and lots of water.

I was at one time a size 26 and last week I bought some clothes and I am now a size 20. Would love to be a size 16 again one day.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 56 comments Congrats marli
I am still working on going down one size.

So the training is going great, I love her. She is so cute and bubbly. Today we worked on legs. Last Thursday she actually made me jog. I have not ran since jr high. So after much cursing and threats, me threatening her, I did it.
She took a photo of me today which I hope never sees the light of day.

message 12: by Pauline (new)

So...ladies...2 chocolate covered Krispy Creams are sitting in a box tempting me on the kitchen counter. Finally I asked my boys if they would please put me out of my misery and eat them. They hesitated, but did it for mom! Lol.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 56 comments Way for them to take care of their mom.

I have been a horrible bitch. My husband is warning people before they get close to me. This is 10 days without pop and chocolate and I am on the rag. He is about ready to make me live with my trainer.
I am so cranky and I can't control it, just snaps out. I hope it gets better soon.

message 14: by Marli (new)

Marli Pretorius (marlipretorius) | 6 comments Sandra wrote: "Way for them to take care of their mom.

I have been a horrible bitch. My husband is warning people before they get close to me. This is 10 days without pop and chocolate and I am on the rag. He i..."

Only advice I can give you there is to find a way to concentrate that bitchiness towards something else like I got all defensive and irritated with my friends. They kind of made me go hit a punching bag. With every hit I had to say what was bothering me. like hit bag - I love chocolates but they make me gain weight. hit - I hate the taste of the food cause it has no spices (I know it is a silly example but it kind of help me smile again and people weren't that afraid to get near me.) It doesn't stop the craving but is great way to relieve the gathered tension.

message 15: by Pauline (last edited Dec 05, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

So...I've lost 9lbs so far. I made a promise to my dad before he passed away that I would get healthy. Lab work came back okay. So that's positive. I've found some great lower cal recipes for my fav foods. My husband and two boys haven't been able to tell the difference yet and have been eating everything. :) I'm shocked that I lost anything because the meds I'm on tend to make people gain weight. I'm hopeful this is going to help my heart get healthy. Is anyone else out there trying to take some pounds off to improve their health?

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 56 comments For the update: I am still exercising and dieting. I have not had pop since end of August. I am trying to be very good but not counting calories or anything. So far I have lost 35lbs and 22.5". I am now below 300 lbs for the first time in over 10 years. And my underwear falls down. Very uncomfortable. But worth it.

message 17: by Pauline (new)

That is sooooo awesome!!

message 18: by Blaque (new)

Blaque (blaqueoutentertainment) | 9 comments My problem with "dieting" is that it's usually temporary. Every time you diet you set a goal... and then what? I experienced all the same issues you had with moodiness and fatigue. So I finally just decided to stop "dieting" and just change my lifestyle... There's something that works for everyone but what I found that works for me is eating clean. I find I'm not moody or fatigued. My family hasn't really noticed the changed except that there's way more fresh food in the house and a whole lot less canned food. And instead of using pre-packaged items when I want a "snack" or dessert I make it myself from scratch that way I have complete control over what ingredients going into it.

message 19: by Pauline (new)

Tyanne, that is a great idea. My family hasn't noticed the change either. My older son has discovered that he LOVES pears!

message 20: by Pauline (new)

Sarah wrote: "i yo yo majorly
at the moment i'm a size 18
but at my biggest i was a size 24
i honestly eat well but i eat to much of it
my biggest is problem is the time of the month, means i eat everything co..."

I load up on carbs!!