Extreme Horror discussion

Doctor Sleep

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Smith | 7 comments Anyone else very very worried this will not be good? I still have memories of staying up late as a kid reading the shining and being terrified. Part of me doesn't want to read this for fear of ruining those memories. Kind of like if IT part 2 came out haha. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (sinisterangel) | 3 comments It was slow, but got better at the end. Doctor Sleep however can not compete with The Shining!

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 9 comments This was such a shitty book, and I'm a HUGE King fan. I was so disappointed by the lack of horror; all the book is at the core is a character study of alcoholism....and not in the clever way The Shining handled it, but in the preachy holier than thou way A.A does. Also, what the hell was up with the names? Rose the Hat? Snake bite Annie? Jimmy Numbers? They sound like third rate Dick Tracy villains!

This book SUCKED!!!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (sinisterangel) | 3 comments Hahaha! I was disappointed. But I liked the little girls character. That made it easier to read. You are right though the names were cheesy. I had a hard time making it through the first part of the book because of the AA holier than though crap. Now I am a little skeptical of reading anything new by King. I have been waiting to see others reviews.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (sinisterangel) | 3 comments Hahaha! I was disappointed. But I liked the little girls character. That made it easier to read. You are right though the names were cheesy. I had a hard time making it through the first part of the book because of the AA holier than though crap. Now I am a little skeptical of reading anything new by King. I have been waiting to see others reviews.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela Alsaleem | 3 comments I actually really loved this book. IMHO, best King book ever. Mainly because he didn't go off on his usual tangents that last for pages and which he never comes back to or which never become part of the story. The characters were interesting, well thought out, and complex. The monsters were unlike any I'd seen before. While it wasn't scary at all, it was entertaining and I genuinely cared about what happened to everyone. I didn't take the AA stuff as preachy but as how Danny was dealing with his alcoholism. King did a great job of making this all part of Danny's character. I didn't see any of it directed at the reader, but more as a way to show the struggles one goes through when recovering from alcoholism and the horrors one faces when dealing with addiction. Loved it!