I Read Therefore I Am discussion

Daphne du Maurier
This topic is about Daphne du Maurier
Monthly Author > September 6th. Daphne Du Maurier - What are you Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee (last edited Aug 29, 2013 04:45AM) (new)

Lee Let us know which books by, about or featuring our monthly author,Daphne du Maurier, you are thinking of reading here:

Here are some ideas:

A selection of Novels and Short Stories

The House on the Strand
Rebecca - on 1001 list
My Cousin Rachel
Frenchman's Creek
Jamaica Inn
The King's General
The Scapegoat
Mary Anne
The Birds
Don't Look Now

Some Biographies
Daphne Du Maurier- by M Forster
Daphne du Maurier: A Daughter's Memoir
Daphne du Maurier and her Sisters: The Hidden Lives of Piffy, Bird and Bing

Daphne - a novel featuring Daphne Du Maurier

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee Time permitting, I hope to read The Birds, Don't Look Now and Daphne.

message 3: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 1486 comments Mod
I'm definitely reading The Birds and Other Stories, if I get time I want to read one of the biographies and maybe The House on the Strand. Would love to read Daphne too if I can find a copy.

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (theelliemo) I'd like to try The Birds and Rebecca. Because I haven't got enough TBR already ;)

message 5: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments I was going to read Rebecca as I really enjoy it but that seems silly so I'm going to read Don't Look Now instead. If I have time I'll read another but not sure what.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Awww- nothing silly about rereading something you love - the opposite of silly infact :o)

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee Ellie wrote: "I'd like to try The Birds and Rebecca. Because I haven't got enough TBR already ;)"

Really envy you reading Rececca for the first time, Ellie -you're going to love it!

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Lee wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I'd like to try The Birds and Rebecca. Because I haven't got enough TBR already ;)"

Really envy you reading Rececca for the first time, Ellie -you're going to love it!"

Rebecca just has to be one of my all-time favourite books! Hope you enjoy it, Ellie!

message 9: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments @Lee , it seems from the site, messages, bookshelf whatever it is, that the Daphne du Maurier Companion is our read of the month. Is it? Or are we still reading anything written by her?

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Sorry Hilary - I thought that, that might be a bit confusing - It's still everyone's personal choice of Daphne Du Maurier read. I'll remove the picture :0)

message 11: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 41 comments I'll be reading My Cousin Rachel and possibly The Rendezvous and Other Stories collection. Got both of these from my local library and intending to take them away with me for holiday reading, as I will be away for a short break with no internet!!

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee My Cousin Rachel is on my to acquire list - hope you have a nice holiday :0)

message 13: by Laurel (new)

Hope you enjoy them Maureen - where are you off to?

message 14: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 41 comments Thanks Lee and Laurel
I'm off to Normandy to a cottage we rented last year and loved it so much we decided to go to the same place again. It's on a farm, but next to the village, so it's calm and peaceful but not too isolated and about 2 miles from the Normandy WWII landing beaches.

message 15: by Laurel (new)

That sounds lovely! Hope you have a good time :)

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee My boss just got back from a holiday in Normandy - he had great weather and lots of excellent cheap wine - here's hoping for the same for you :0)

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee I'm looking forward to this - my last choice - Don't Look Now and Other Stories arrived yesterday Yay!

message 18: by Joy (new)

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 175 comments I went squirrelling around charity shops today and bought The Loving Spirit

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee Hadn't heard of that one before - sounds good.

message 20: by Laurel (new)

Oh dear, I had to buy a copy of the Iris Murdoch book as the library didn't have a copy and while I was on the Awesome books website I 'accidentally' bought The House on the Strand and Daphne as well! Oops ;)

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee bad luck Laurel :0)

message 22: by Hilary (new)

Hilary | 2082 comments Those fingers just have a mind of their own!