Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

AUTHORS' CORNER > Chronicles of a Hero Series

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.G. (last edited Aug 29, 2013 04:31AM) (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments This comment originally posted on another thread by Jaime Buckley Jaime Buckley :

Well, I have enjoyed the Spiderwick series, Percy Jackson and now my little girls are reading Artemis Fowl (which I want to try myself).

If you're up for a fun/funny epic adventure, you might try the Chronicles of a Hero:
Prelude to a Hero (Chronicles of a Hero, #0.5) Race to Til-Thorin (Chronicles of a Hero, #1) Trench Wars (Chronicles of a Hero, #2)

Or stick with gnomes for adventure and mystery:
Demoni Vankil (Hobin Luckyfeller's Fieldguides, #1) Bloodsticks A brief history & practical application (Höbin Luckyfeller's Fieldguides, #2)

Note to parents: Race to Til-Thorin does have a chapter that is intense where the enemies fight for leadership. Here's what a reviewer on Goodreads said:

I LOVE this book!

There were some times that I had to put it down. The way Buckley writes his descriptions, when it comes to violent encounters--I felt like I was right there. It was almost creepy!

I cringed. I looked over my shoulder.

...I think I even ducked once.

Also want to say that I have not laughed so hard in a long time. I don't KNOW how long it's been. Just when the tension is about to make my heart pop, Chuck or Dax or a situation will pop up and make you laugh.

So refreshing.

I'm planning on buying anything you put out next Mr. Buckley...just make it soon, ok?

Pleeeaase?

I'm a protective parent, so I wanted to state that up front.

message 2: by D. Robert (new)

D. Robert Pease (drobertpease) I LOVE Artemis Fowl -- except for the Atlantis one :-( I'll have to check out the Hero books.

message 3: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Welcome to the group, Jaime, and I'll have to check out your Chronicles. I'm always on the lookout for funny adventures -- is anyone else getting tired of dark dystopia already??

message 4: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Buckley (wantedhero) | 23 comments M.G. wrote: "Welcome to the group, Jaime, and I'll have to check out your Chronicles. I'm always on the lookout for funny adventures -- is anyone else getting tired of dark dystopia already??"

Thanks so much M.G. and D.. Glad to be here.
YES,....I'm so tired of the overwhelming doom and gloom that seems to drag on. Though my books do have intense elements, the focus is on overcoming challenges and lots and lots of humor...

The wizard straightened his top hat, then tapped his dragonhead walking cane on the curb before stepping down into the runway. “Wait—you didn’t even look at me!” he complained. “How am I supposed to act the part, woo the ladies, intimidate the men, unless I look my uber best?”
“Uber?”
He adjusted his bow tie, flashing a sly smile. “Outstanding. Supreme example. Coooool.” He flicked an eyebrow at her, “Like my tie? Bow ties are cool. Manly. Debonaire.”
“It’s pink.” Lili helped him across the runway, following the handful of pedestrians. “You look fine for a person of your age and profession.”
“Pink? I thought it was just a cheerful red. Hmph!—should have worn my glass-…” Chuck stopped abruptly on the other side. “Of my age and profession?! What kind of remark is that? You call that encouragement?” He rolled his eyes, “For goodness sakes child, why don’t you just tell me the embalming fluid’s taken well!”
“I didn’t mean…”
“These clothes weren’t cheap you know!” he leaned closer and smiled, “And you look lovely, by the way…”
Lili’s cheeks flushed. “Why…thank you, Ch—”
SEE—I got style! That’s what it’s going to take to pull this off…a keen mind and forked tongue. But do I have the clothes to match the wit? The charm, lumous, atractivo, séduction? That’s what we need here. Charm and focus! There’s no way we will ever…Oh look!” he squealed, “A penny!”
He squatted down and scooped the copper relic from the ground.
Lili sighed.

We need more happy! Hope! Laughter and wonder that sparks the mind and encourages youth to reach for a brighter future!!

That's why this lot has such an important job.

@ D. I talked to my daughter last night and she said she stopped reading them because of the language... Said even though it didn't bother her too much, she didn't want it going into her mind.

...I gave her ice cream.