All About Books discussion

Non-Fiction > Travel Literature

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Aug 29, 2013 03:41AM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments A place to talk about and recommend your favorite travel-books.

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I think this qualifies as a travel book - Sailing Alone around the World. Here is a map of Joshua Slocum's route in his sloop Spray:

map of voyage

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments LOL, well if that doesn't qualify I don't know what will! Are you enjoying it?

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "LOL, well if that doesn't qualify I don't know what will! Are you enjoying it?"

Quite a lot, surprisingly.

message 5: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13217 comments Mod
WOW!

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments This looks very interesting, Leslie, glad you are enjoying it.

message 7: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments About to read W. G. Sebald's The Rings of Saturn. Just thumbed through the book and it really looks interesting.....

message 8: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Reading Bruce Chatwin's The Songlines. It is both informative and entertaining.

message 9: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz | 1001 comments A while ago I read For Fukui's Sake: Two Years In Rural Japan by Sam Baldwin, about a man that left England to spend two years teaching English in a tiny village in Japan. Very interesting indeed, particularly as I rarely see anything much mentioned about Japanese life outside of the big cities.

message 10: by Gill (last edited Oct 02, 2014 09:55AM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments 1936... On the Continent

Is free on UK kindle at present. It seems to be a fascinating insight into European travel in an earlier age.

message 11: by E.A. (new)

E.A. | 155 comments When ever a travel I always take the book thats been hiding in the back of my book case. Helps me remember why I got in teh first place.lol :P

message 12: by Linda (last edited Oct 03, 2014 11:43AM) (new)

Linda Before we travel, I read as much as I can about specific places in numerous travel guides and find it really adds to my enjoyment of what I'm seeing. For our recent four weeks in England, I read about specific places AND the families: Blenheim Palace, Castle Howard, Chatsworth House, Beatrix Potter, etc. After the trip I read more about specific people I found especially interesting: Countess Rosalind of Castle Howard and Duchess Daisy of Warwick Castle. When we went to Italy for four weeks, I read several books on art so I'd have a better understanding and appreciation of what I was seeing. I'm always astounded by how much I don't know.

message 13: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Has anyone read A Walk Across America? I read it quite a few years ago, but I thought it was really good. I'd like to read more of his books, but I never seem to be able to find them in charity shops.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda You might be able to find them at www.betterworldbooks.com for a great price with usually free shipping. I've found so many books there that I couldn't find anywhere else, including out of print books. It's free to join and you're given several options and prices for most books. Every purchase benefits their Literacy Program, so it's a win win. Good luck! Another option is www.abesbooks.com but they usually charge 3.99 shipping. Good luck!

message 15: by Beholderess (new)

Beholderess | 17 comments Going to read The Journals of Lewis and Clark. Travel journals are not my usual genre, so that is going to be interesting

message 16: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Beholderess wrote: "Going to read The Journals of Lewis and Clark. Travel journals are not my usual genre, so that is going to be interesting"

I think that will be fascinating,

message 17: by Beholderess (new)

Beholderess | 17 comments It sure looks like it will, although grammar being optional at the times makes reading somewhat difficult

message 18: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 364 comments Mod
Has anyone read Barthes' Travels in China? It looks really interesting.

message 19: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Rowena wrote: "Has anyone read Barthes' Travels in China? It looks really interesting."

Not I but it looks interesting. I like travel books but I think my next one will be Black Lamb and Grey Falcon as it is sitting on my shelf tempting me...

message 20: by Petra (last edited Oct 14, 2015 07:04PM) (new)

Petra | 3248 comments Dhanaraj wrote: "Reading Bruce Chatwin's The Songlines. It is both informative and entertaining."

I'm glad to hear this. I have this one sitting on my shelves at home. Let me know what you think, Dhanaraj....I may have to get to it soon. I have looked at it a few times but never picked it up.

LOL!...I just saw the date. This is an old post. However, if you still have thoughts on the book, I'd be happy to hear them.

message 21: by Rowena (new)

Leslie wrote: "Rowena wrote: "Has anyone read Barthes' Travels in China? It looks really interesting."

Not I but it looks interesting. I like travel books but I think my next one will be [book:Bl..."

That looks amazing!!! Such a huge book too. Will follow your updates closely when you do read it.

message 22: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments @Petra: We had that book as our group read once. Unfortunately, the group was not active then. But the book is an intefesting one. Chatwin has a way of writing that is very engaging for a travel literature. Some accused him of diverting the details to suit his thinking. Once I heard that I lost interest in it.

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3248 comments Dhanaraj wrote: "@Petra: We had that book as our group read once. Unfortunately, the group was not active then. But the book is an intefesting one. Chatwin has a way of writing that is very engaging for a travel li..."

Thank you. Sounds like an interesting read.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I am really enjoying My Great, Wide, Beautiful World by Juanita Harrison which gives an informative and entertaining account of her travels from the USA through Europe and the Near East in the 1920s. Archive.org has a digitized version available here. It's a fascinating travel diary.

message 25: by Hales (new)

Hales | 314 comments I am currently reading Cold: Extreme Adventures at the Lowest Temperatures on Earth I am enjoying it but I do question why anyone would subject themselves to the temperatures that he and his team do.

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Just finished this and liked it very much: Far & Away: Places on the Brink of Change: Seven Continents, Twenty-Five Years Great collection of travel essays.

message 27: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments That looks very interesting, Jenny. I'll have a look for it.

message 28: by Rowena (new)

Jenny wrote: "Just finished this and liked it very much: Far & Away: Places on the Brink of Change: Seven Continents, Twenty-Five Years Great collection of travel essays."

That looks excellent, Jenny!