All About Books discussion

Non-Fiction > Psychology & Sociology

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments A place to talk about your favorite Psychology and Sociology books.

message 2: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 364 comments Mod
Memories, Dreams, Reflectionsby Carl Jung is a wonderful book. I learned so much from it.

message 3: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) My favorite nonfiction book of all time is The Alphabet Versus the Goddess: The Conflict Between Word and Image. It explores the advent of written language, and how it coincided with the transition from matriarchy to patriarchy, polytheism to monotheism, and holistic thinking to linear thinking. It's a work of theory so it's not necessarily a perfect book, but it's fascinating to explore the subject with the author.

I'm big into gender studies so if anyone's got recommendations, let me know!

message 4: by Rowena (new)

Hi Shannon,

That book looks right up my alley, thanks!

I've read quite a few good feminism books: Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism, and Cinderella Ate My Daughtercome to mind.

I've just started reading Sexual Politics and it looks like it's going to be an informative read.

message 5: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) Thank you for your rec's as well!

message 6: by Greg (last edited Jul 03, 2014 07:34AM) (new)

Greg | 7488 comments Mod
Rowena wrote: "Memories, Dreams, Reflectionsby Carl Jung is a wonderful book. I learned so much from it."

Rowena, you might want to check out Jung's book Dreams as well. I read that one a few years ago and found it fascinating!

message 7: by Rowena (new)

Greg wrote: "Rowena wrote: "Memories, Dreams, Reflectionsby Carl Jung is a wonderful book. I learned so much from it."

Rowena, you might want to check out Jung's book Dreams as wel..."

Thanks, Greg! Adding it to my list:)

message 8: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11717 comments Mod
Psychology has always been something that has interested me but I find some of the books I've read confusing. Can anyone recommend something that I might be able to understand?

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7488 comments Mod
Alannah wrote: "Psychology has always been something that has interested me but I find some of the books I've read confusing. Can anyone recommend something that I might be able to understand?"

Alannah, the Jung books are fascinating (I love them!), but they are pretty dense and occasionally laden with terminology. I suspect they're not what you're looking for as a starting point. Have you thought about getting started with a standard Intro to Psychology textbook? If the terminology is what's making the other books confusing, reading one of those might be a good way to lay some groundwork. I wish I could recommend a specific one; maybe someone else can recommend a good one.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Alannah...have you ever read Blink ? It's fun and interesting.

message 11: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Alannah wrote: "Psychology has always been something that has interested me but I find some of the books I've read confusing. Can anyone recommend something that I might be able to understand?"

Have you tried the OUP's Very Short Introduction Series? They are very good, short and easily readable. They also give you some lists of books for further reading. You can find an introduction to any subject on earth. And there are also introductions to major figures in any of the academic fields (Freud or C. G. Jung included). Try it. See the link: https://www.goodreads.com/series/5445...

message 12: by Charbel (last edited Jul 06, 2014 05:31AM) (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2667 comments Alannah wrote: "Psychology has always been something that has interested me but I find some of the books I've read confusing. Can anyone recommend something that I might be able to understand?"

I like books by Pierre Daco. He's a psychoanalyst so his books do get a bit technical, but they're very very good. Though I don't know if you can find his books in English.
If you want something informative but not technical, then I recommend something by Malcolm Gladwell, most of his books have a lot to do with psychology and sociology. Try Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, or my personal favourite Outliers: The Story of Success.

message 13: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) I second Charbel's recommendation of Malcolm Gladwell! He explores really interesting subjects without ever getting technical or dry. Outliers was great.

If anyone's interested in neurological disorders, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks is amazing! Not just for the subject matter but for the engaging delivery of his writing.

message 14: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7488 comments Mod
Shannon Noel wrote: "I second Charbel's recommendation of Malcolm Gladwell! He explores really interesting subjects without ever getting technical or dry. Outliers was great.

If anyone's interested in neurological dis..."

I've read Oliver Sacks before and found it tremendously engaging!

message 15: by Noel (new)

Noel Brady (noel-brady) Greg wrote: "I've read Oliver Sacks before and found it tremendously engaging!"

Isn't he great? I recently bought his book, An Anthropologist on Mars: Seven Paradoxical Tales, and hope it's just as good.

message 16: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'm very interested in psychology and read quite a lot of psychology books. I'm reading The Buddha and the Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, and Online Dating at the moment, which is a memoir about the author's experience with Borderline Personality Disorder. I find it extremely interesting. I'm very interested in finding out how other people's (and my own) mind works.