The Orion Team. discussion

CONVENTIONS OF SPYING > Best film versions of books?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samuel , Director (new)

Samuel  | 4691 comments Mod
Another, simple debate topic. I'll kick off with The Bourne Films, including the made for TV one. Brilliant, complex, gritty, realistic and captured that classic Ludlum paranoia for the cold war and the war on terror.

message 2: by Tom (last edited Aug 29, 2013 09:19AM) (new)

Tom Barber | 2 comments 'Jack Reacher' was better than I expected. Aside from Cruise as Reacher, the casting was spot-on and it was nice to have a modern movie with half a brain. Soundtrack and production design were slick too.

However, here's hoping they do a reboot in a few years. 'Killing Floor' with a stubbly, bulked up Chris Hemsworth would be a good place to start. As good as some parts of 'JR' were, Cruise just isn't the character. The 5 on 1 bar-fight was the best example of that.

message 3: by Samuel , Director (new)

On her Majesty's secret service. Bad bond but the best story and the best bond girl of the entire franchise. Diana Rigg has no equal, being far more clever than most of her predecessors.

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack (jackjuly) | 145 comments I liked Hunt for Red October. It wasn't perfect but the cast and Charecters were entertaining as heck.

message 5: by Samuel , Director (new)

Agreed. Sean Connery is a blast as the Red October's Captain.

message 6: by David (new)

David Dalton | 7 comments As a Die Hard junkie, I will submit two choices:

Nothing Lasts Forever (Basis for the Film Die Hard) by Roderick Thorp , this book was the basis for Die Hard. I enjoyed the book.....loved the movie (my favorite of all time).

Then of course Die Hard 2: 58 Minutes (Basis for the Film Die Hard 2) by Walter Wager .

And while not Die Hard, still one of my favorite movies (First Blood): First Blood by David Morrell . I actually love both the book and the movie. I watch the movie at least once a year, and re-read the book every two to three years (one of the few books I re-read). I enjoy the differences between the two. Would be hard pressed to say which is better.