Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

General Discussions > Must Read Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mateholion (new)

Mateholion Cabela | 4 comments I am new to the genre of graphic novels. I have started reading a few titles and now i m really hooked to this genre. I did a little bit of research on net and was able to compile a list of graphic novels I think i must read. I will welcome your suggestions regarding which books i missed and which books i shouldn't have added to this list. The list is not in any chronological order.
Here's the list:
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Sandman
Bone
Sin City
Preacher
From Hell
Transmetropolitan
The Walking Dead
Fables
Y: The Last Man
Saga
Persepolis
Maus

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (metermouse) | 50 comments Welcome to the GN/comics genre! You're going to love it here (:

What books have you read so far that you liked, or what are you interested in, to get an idea of your tastes?

message 3: by Mateholion (new)

Mateholion Cabela | 4 comments I have read The Dark Knight Return, V for Vendetta and Watchmen.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 289 comments That's a very strong list, covering most of the traditional suggestions.

I second I Kill Giants and Usagi Yojimbo, and would also add Kingdom Come and Astro City.

For All Seasons and Secret Identity are two great Superman stories to check out.

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 345 comments Josef wrote: "Here is a goto list of recommended classics

my personal recommendations are:
Blacksad
Nextwave
All-star Superman
I kill giants
Chew
Saga
Usagi Yojimbo
Super Crooks
League of extraordinary ge..."

Awesome list! I'm actually doing something similar with making a chart of all my favorite graphic novels I've read over the years. Hopefully, I'll be able to post up!

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Jacques (thomasjacques) | 2 comments You have prepared a strong list; I hope you enjoy "V For Vendetta," which is a truly powerful work.

I would add one other to your list: "A Contract with God, and Other Tenement Stories" by Will Eisner.

message 7: by Mateholion (new)

Mateholion Cabela | 4 comments I have read V for Vendetta and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the suggestion of A Contract with God.

message 8: by Reign (new)

Reign (ExChef100) | 10 comments As far as classics go, it's hard to beat Alan Moore's Swamp Thing series (5 volumes).
For a darker twist, Ben Templesmith is my favorite:
- Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse
- 30 Days of Night
- Welcome to Hoxford