All About Books discussion

What Have You Read? > National Book Award Winners in Fiction

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11548 comments Mod
The National Book Award for Fiction is one of four annual National Book Awards, which recognize outstanding literary work by United States citizens, Since 1987 they have been administered and presented by the National Book Foundation, but they are awards "by writers to writers". The panelists are five "writers who are known to be doing great work in their genre or field." The award was first given out in 1950.
These are the winners from 1950-2012.

http://www.listchallenges.com/nationa...

How many have you read?

message 2: by Alannah (new)

Sadly it looks as though I haven't read any of these books.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I have read a few:

The Moviegoer
Herzog
Rabbit is Rich
White Noise
The Corrections
The Echo Maker
Tree of Smoke
Shadow Country

most of them where brilliant books in my opinion, infact I am tempted to make that a 2014 challenge for myself, reading my way through this list, as plenty are on my TBR anyhow.

message 4: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I don't think I've read any either (but I do have "All the Pretty Horses" to read, as my husband bought it for me - the trilogy, that is).

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments I've only read 3:

From Here to Eternity
Sophie's Choice
The Colour Purple

message 7: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13142 comments Mod
Only two!
The color purple and Invisible man, both really beautiful

message 8: by Correen (new)

Correen (corrmorr) | 9 comments I have read books by many of those authors but only 10 of the books. Perhaps I will include that in my challenge for next year.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Correen wrote: "I have read books by many of those authors but only 10 of the books. Perhaps I will include that in my challenge for next year."

That's two of us then, maybe we could read a few of them toghether?

message 10: by Alannah (new)

Correen wrote: "I have read books by many of those authors but only 10 of the books. Perhaps I will include that in my challenge for next year."

That sounds like a good idea, good luck :)

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Sadly I have read none of these as they are not under my reading radar. I got too many on my to read list to read to add any more to it.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 399 comments I hope to read Invisible Man this year but I have another chunkster to finish first, The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War. Gravity's Rainbow is on my list for someday.

I'm not sure if I'm interested in any of the more contemporary winners. I've tried The Shipping News and Sophie's Choice and they really didn't work for me.

message 13: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC | 99 comments Only eight- but I really enjoyed all of them. Perhaps I should try more of them.

message 14: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I also read 8. The ones I read were excellent. The average person read 4.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have now read 15, 6 more since my first post here in 2013. 6 in 7 years is not very good progress!