Art Lovers discussion

Cool Websites

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments I just found a website that I think we might find interesting. I know several people have posted findings in other threads (and I'm not sure where they are) but I want to dedicate this thread to sharing websites we might find interesting.

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Check this one out! It's great if one can't actually see a desired museum or work of art for one reason or another. You're 'virtually' there!

http://www.google.com/culturalinstitu...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather wrote: "Check this one out! It's great if one can't actually see a desired museum or work of art for one reason or another. You're 'virtually' there!

http://www.google.com/culturalinstitu......"

Very nice!

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments In reading this article, I discovered that UNESCO preserves intangible cultural assets like festivals, religious processions and the like.
http://hyperallergic.com/81220/eight-...

"...This October is the 10th anniversary of the General Conference of UNESCO adopting the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, although the list itself was started in 2008, and between 2009 and 2012, 167 elements were added to the Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, as well as 31 on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding, which are those things more in danger of disappearing. The most recent additions include Ecuador’s Panama Hat, Buddhist chanting of Ladakh in India, Romanian Horezu ceramics, Bedouin poetry chanted by men traveling on camelback, and the Dancing Devils of Corpus Christi in Venezuela. ..."

A human tower at the Concurs de Castells in 2012 (photograph by Joan Grífols)

Here's the UNESCO site with countless links to videos you can explore:
http://www.unesco.org/culture/ich/ind...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ed thank you for sharing that! Love it.

message 6: by Dvora (new)

Dvora I live in Catalunya and I can tell you that the Catalans were very happy and proud when UNESCO gave their sport, castells, this honor. It is one of the many things that sets Catalunya off from Spain, of which it is a part, but from which it wants its political independence. Castells (human towers) vs. bullfights. Very telling of the difference between the two cultures. Thanks for posting this, Ed.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Dvora, my other cat looks a lot like your cat. Yes that is quite a cultural difference.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Dvora wrote: "I live in Catalunya and I can tell you that the Catalans were very happy and proud when UNESCO gave their sport, castells, this honor. It is one of the many things that sets Catalunya off from Spa..."

You're welcome!

message 9: by Liesbeth (new)

Liesbeth Heenk (goodreadscomliesbeth) | 27 comments Hi there! the coolest website ever, if we are talking about art and art-related matters, is

http://www.vangoghletters.org

There you find ALL of Van Gogh's letters online. Free! You can do an advanced search if you wish to know about sunflowers, for instance. Apart from the fact that he was a great artist, his letters can be counted amongst the best in world literature. Enjoy!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Liesbeth. He was a fascinating man.

message 11: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 101 comments Liesbeth wrote: "Hi there! the coolest website ever, if we are talking about art and art-related matters, is

http://www.vangoghletters.org

There you find ALL of Van Gogh's letters online. Free! You can do an adva..."

This is wonderful!! The two-volume set of his letters that I purchased years ago was hard to find and well worth the price, but it's wonderful that the letters are now so accessible.

message 12: by Liesbeth (new)

Liesbeth Heenk (goodreadscomliesbeth) | 27 comments Yes, so pleased the Van Gogh letters are online and FREE! I use them all the time, and have the feeling one gets to know him better and better.. They are such a wealth of information! Enjoy!

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Wow, I haven't been on in a few days, THANK YOU Leisbeth for posting this site! It is wonderful! I bookmarked so I could have quick access. I want to read them all! I have quite a few books on Van Gogh, including Dear Theo, but I haven't read that one yet. I'm looking forward to all of his correspondences. Thank you again!

message 14: by Liesbeth (new)

Liesbeth Heenk (goodreadscomliesbeth) | 27 comments Glad to be of any help! I am very much in favour of world literature such as Van Gogh's letters being freely available online. Many years ago, when I was doing my PhD on Van Gogh's drawings I wasted an entire year by typing up relevant parts of his published letters in a word document.. Luckily those days are long gone! I must say I also have many of his published letters, but for quick references the online letters are absolutely perfect.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice to see you Heather!

message 16: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Thank you! Sorry I've been absent, had a few things come up. But nice to be back and see the group is coming along just fine!

message 17: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Liesbeth, how wonderful that you did your Ph.D. on Van Gogh's drawings. He is one of my favorite artists (Rembrandt is the other) but Van Gogh has a special place in my heart because of the troubles he had in his life and the beautiful character he seemed to have.
Liesbeth wrote: "Glad to be of any help! I am very much in favour of world literature such as Van Gogh's letters being freely available online. Many years ago, when I was doing my PhD on Van Gogh's drawings I waste..."

message 18: by Liesbeth (new)

Liesbeth Heenk (goodreadscomliesbeth) | 27 comments I agree, Dvora! Van Gogh is such a fascinating character! I wrote and did research on both of your heroes; Rembrandt as well as Van Gogh.

'Beautiful character' however, is not what I'd call Van Gogh..! Do read his biography if you can. His oeuvre is fantastic, but he is certainly not a man I would have loved to meet..! I am currently writing on Van Gogh and women. A disaster as you can imagine, especially if you realize that art always came on the first place..

message 19: by Dvora (new)

Dvora I have read several books on Van Gogh including Hulsker's Vincent and Theo Van Gogh, the recent Naifeh/Smith biography Van Gogh: The Life, and others. I didn't mean to say that I would want to meet him -- he definitely had his problems. But in spite of that I think he had a beautiful spirit or soul.
Liesbeth wrote: "I agree, Dvora! Van Gogh is such a fascinating character! I wrote and did research on both of your heroes; Rembrandt as well as Van Gogh.

'Beautiful character' however, is not what I'd call Van Go..."

message 20: by Liesbeth (new)

Liesbeth Heenk (goodreadscomliesbeth) | 27 comments If you read the Smith/ Naifeh biography you definitely read the best, Dvora!

message 21: by Dvora (new)

Dvora Yes, it was excellent. And now I get continually annoyed when someone says he committed suicide. Liesbeth wrote: "If you read the Smith/ Naifeh biography you definitely read the best, Dvora!"

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Heather wrote: "Thank you! Sorry I've been absent, had a few things come up. But nice to be back and see the group is coming along just fine!"

It's a very nice group. Glad to see all is well with you.

message 23: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 101 comments Liesbeth wrote: "Glad to be of any help! I am very much in favour of world literature such as Van Gogh's letters being freely available online. Many years ago, when I was doing my PhD on Van Gogh's drawings I waste..."

That was not time wasted!!

message 24: by Liesbeth (new)

Liesbeth Heenk (goodreadscomliesbeth) | 27 comments You might be right, Albin..!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not wasted time it's valuable information.

message 26: by Liesbeth (new)

Liesbeth Heenk (goodreadscomliesbeth) | 27 comments .. you obviously don't know the way I am typing..!