Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Looking for...High Fantasy/Princess

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I just finished reading a fun book called Just Ella, which is a High Fantasy with a princess plot. I'm totally a genre mood reader, when I get into a certain genre I tend to stay in that genre until something catches my eye. Anyway, I'm looking for similar stories about a princess (although, it doesn't have to have a princess) that takes place in a fictional land. Below are some that I've read and are in that same genre...

The Seer and the Sword
Queen in Exile
Crown Duel
Summers at Castle Auburn
Mystic and Rider
Star of the Morning
Aurelia
The Goose Girl

message 2: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 129 comments Thank you so much, Kathy! Since reading Just Ella, I have been in the mood for these too, so I really appreciate it! :)

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Chrissy wrote: "Thank you so much, Kathy! Since reading Just Ella, I have been in the mood for these too, so I really appreciate it! :)"

You're welcome! I haven't read all of these and some I liked more than others. You'll have to let me know of you read any of them. :)

message 5: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Sep 19, 2013 11:31AM) (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 284 comments I'm always up for a good high fantasy princess tale. Some that I've enjoyed:

Sherwood Smith writes some great ones:
Crown Duel (I see that's on Kathy's list. I love this book - if anyone hasn't read it you're seriously missing out.)
A Posse of Princesses
Once a Princess and Twice a Prince
The Trouble with Kings

Others:
Princess Ben
Also in Kathy's list but I have to put in a major plug for this one too: The Hero and the Crown
The Goose Girl (another DO NOT MISS. The rest of the series is pretty good as well, but this first one is the best.)
Spindle's End

Not quite in the genre, but also worth mentioning because I love them:
Beauty
Coronets and Steel and its sequel Blood Spirits
The Thief and The King of Attolia (there are two more in this series but I didn't like them as well)
Princess Academy. The sequel Palace of Stone came out last year and is also worth reading.
The Blue Sword

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Tadiana wrote: "I'm always up for a good high fantasy princess tale. Some that I've enjoyed:

Sherwood Smith's:
Crown Duel"

I loved Crown Duel! Fun read.

message 7: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 198 comments I read an awful lot of princess books, so making a list has been an overwhelming thought for me. Here are some favorites that come to mind.

Ella Enchanted
Wildwood Dancing
Cybele's Secret (sequel to Wildwood Dancing)
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
The Wide-Awake Princess
Cinder
Dealing with Dragons
The Two Princesses of Bamarre
Enchanted
Snow White and Rose Red
Seven Daughters and Seven Sons

Alright, that's all for now :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ | 284 comments Kathy, I just finished reading "Summers at Castle Auburn" last night and loved it (I bought it based on the reviews here). It's a little more meaty than some of the other lightweight romances we've talked about in this group. Has anyone read any other Sharon Shinn books you'd recommend? Or any other books that you've listed in this thread that are must-reads?

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Tadiana, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've read it a few times and enjoy it each time. I enjoyed her adult fantasy Twelve Houses series, the first book is Mystic and Rider (the cover is awful), its been a few years since I've read them, but I think they were all clean, maybe mild innuendo. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard Archangel is really good. I'm not big on angels so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

message 10: by Jessie (last edited Oct 01, 2013 10:19AM) (new)

Jessie | 198 comments I haven't read anything else by Sharon Shinn either. For other princess fantasy books I highly recommend Wildwood Dancing if you haven't read that before!

Crystal (Books Are Sanity!!!) | 9 comments Thank you for this thread Kathy! I recently read Just Ella and LOVED it! I have read some of the others you listed, but some are new that I want to read. Thanks again!

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
Crystal- You're welcome! It's a favorite genre of mine. I'll try and remember to post more when I come across them. :)

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel John (racheljohn) | 7 comments I have a blog for the clean reads I find and it does tend to be a little Princess heavy! I love Princess books.

http://racheljohnreviews.blogspot.com/

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annhunter) | 2 comments Can I join the party? I consider mine low fantasy, but they do have princesses (and they're not always nice)

The Subtle Beauty (a beauty & the beast retelling, where beauty IS the beast) is free on Amazon right now.

Moonlight (a retelling of The Swan Princess) features a strong heroine with a defined sense of duty to her family, and a true north/moral compass. I confess to having an author/girl crush on her. Also, she's the mother of the prince in The Subtle Beauty.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Jepson | 1 comments I am also a Just Ella lover (though I'm a little biased as the author is my sister), and love princess novels, as well. Missing Lily is Annette Larsen's second book, and it's about Ella's sister Lylin. I also really love the book Beauty, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Ella Enchanted is a classic, as well. I read that one about once a year!
Thanks for all the recommendations!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Grass | 1 comments Star of the Morning! Lynn Kurland. Best male protagonist ever!