Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Reading Recommendations > any good dark or tragic fantasy books

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian | 2 comments any good dark fantasy books that don't have vampires and werewolves?

message 2: by Chris (last edited Aug 28, 2013 10:12PM) (new)

Chris Galford (galfordc) Depends on the concept of dark. If you want action, and lots of blood, death and general mayhem, a lot of people on that side of things seem to take to The Half-Orcs series, by David Dalglish. Not the best writing I've ever seen, but again, if you want something that will entertain you for a little bit, it'll do the trick.

You could also turn to something like The Prince of Nothing series, by R. Scott Bakker. Some of my personal favorites, honestly. That's darker in the whole...nihilist philosophical way, with a lot of worldly and character depth to it.

There's a couple suggestions to get you started, at any rate!

message 3: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 183 comments Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

more tragic than dark...It is one of my favorites.

message 4: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Check out this thread for further discussion on "dark" and what it means to different readers. Some commenters mention examples. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 5: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 33 comments For both dark and tragic, I would recommend a classic. The Broken Sword

In the tradition of tragedies, you can see where this story is going long before it gets there, and it's darkness, tragedy, and viciousness the whole way down. I loved it.

Also, I second the works of R. Scott Bakker.

message 7: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah For something different, The Child Thief by Gerald Brom by Gerald Brom is dark and tragic retelling of Peter Pan. Forget all the other versions you know. This is not a child's book!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Jalilah wrote: "For something different, The Child Thief by Gerald Brom by Gerald Brom is dark and tragic retelling of Peter Pan. Forget all the other versions you know. This is not a child's book!"

I just picked this up from the library. I'm a bit trepidatious as I've read very mixed reviews, but here's hoping...

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephaniemark) Jalilah wrote: "For something different, The Child Thief by Gerald Brom by Gerald Brom is dark and tragic retelling of Peter Pan. Forget all the other versions you know. This is not a child's book!"

I started this and I'm not sure how far I'm going to get. A few chanpters in and it's already really dark. I'm not sure I want to scar my idea of Peter Pan :)

message 10: by Jalilah (last edited Aug 29, 2013 07:27AM) (new)

Jalilah Stephanie wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "For something different, The Child Thief by Gerald Brom by Gerald Brom is dark and tragic retelling of Peter Pan. Forget all the other versions you know. This is not a child's..."

Lol! And I have always had an aversion to the original Peter Pan but liked this book!
I don't usually like too dark, but it worked for me in the Child Thief. I think the story itself is no darker than a lot of stuff out there, but what makes it seem so twisted is the fact that Brom takes a beloved childhood character and changes him.

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 197 comments Hmm, sounds like yet another book I need to look at.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian | 2 comments thanks you all hit it on the spot I've added 4 books to my to-read list, i am already reading the warder man and really like it, so your spot on, the black company and prince of nothing sound like my kinda thing and although not my typical read i am going to give half-orcs and (dark) peter pan a shot. thanks!