Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

WILL THE MOVIE BE A FLOP OR A BOX OFFICE SUCCESS?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Deborah Okay so after watching the trailer, I'm a little worried about how critics and everyone who hasn't read the books will take it. I mean, it looks a little like Hunger Games and it's obviously trying to take the spotlight for the next big thing. But as some of us have seen, The Mortal Instruments tried to do just that and, surprise, surprise, it was panned by the critics and isn't bringing in the cash they thought it would. In my opinion I think Divergent is much better than HG, but will it be another flop in the theaters?

notyourfriend I think it MIGHT end up a flop.... but it might end up really good.

Bailey Hett I think it really depends on how good the explanations are. They need to explain where Tris comes from in Abnegation to really make the movie make sense. All book to movie transitions are tough because there is so many details in books.I really hope it turns out and is successful, but it probably won't be. Too many other distopian novels are being turned into movies right now.

Josh Thomas As long as Veronica Roth doesnt sell out like Lee Child did with his Jack Reacher series i think it will be good. They need to stick to the book and use actors that could actually portray the characters they are supposed to be. If they do that and stick close to the book i think it will be great.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

This book needs to do well or the fans who read and enjoyed the books will be unhappy. This book must have been very hard to put into a movie, with wanting to honor it but at the same time make it work as a movie. So I think that it will not be a flop.

Deborah Elizabeth wrote: "This book needs to do well or the fans who read and enjoyed the books will be unhappy. This book must have been very hard to put into a movie, with wanting to honor it but at the same time make it work as a movie. So I think that it will not be a flop. ..."
City of Bones, I Am Number Four, The Host, and Beautiful Creatures were obviously "good" books as well but they all did horribly in theaters. I'm not saying it might be a flop, but their is a big chance it will since it's too similar to Hunger Games.

Bailey Hett I don't feel like the writing style/theme of this book was like the hunger games. But, i do think it will come across very similar in a movie format. Kind of disappointing that people probably won't give it as good of a chance.

message 8: by Ayesha (last edited Aug 29, 2013 01:24AM) (new) - added it

Ayesha I won't judge until I watch the movie...I'm excited for it. Hope it'll end up being really good, the trailer is promising.

Deborah wrote: "City of Bones, I Am Number Four, The Host, and Beautiful Creatures were obviously "good" books as well but they all did horribly in theaters. I'm not saying it might be a flop, but their is a big chance it will since it's too similar to Hunger Games."

City of bones really?! Wasn't the book already awful and plagiarised? I really didn't expect it to become a hit from the start. I don't find any similarities between THG and divergent except that they both belong to the same genre and have female protagonists.

Bipasha I HATE THE FILM TRAILER, and shailene and theo as well, but there is a big chance dat the film does go well owing to the AWESOME storyline. 70% chance it will do well.

message 10: by Izzy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Izzy As someone who hasn't read the book and doesn't know what it's about, I must say that they trailer seems really confusing. Based on the trailer, I wouldn't want to watch the film.
I felt the same about Mortal Instruments trailer and Beautiful Creatures trailer -- felt completely out of the loop and had no clue what the story was.

I didn't know what the Hunger Games was about either but just by watching the trailer, I knew that the characters were going to be involved in some sort of battle to the death. There's a definite narrative (by using the character's dialogue), an explanation, of what the film is about and what it will promise.
Now based on the trailer, I would want to see the film.

In order for a book to movie adaptation to do well, it must stand on its own so that everyone will know what it's about. I think some production teams are purely relying on those who've read and liked the books, assuming that they will make up the numbers when that's just not the case.
From a financial point of view, they're more likely to succeed if they stick to the movie audience -- those who have very little idea on what's going on in the book market. Film buffs and even movie critics will have more money and more sway on making a movie a hit or a flop.

Elizabeth I think the movie will flop because it's hard to show the seriousness of their situation with just dialogue. And eve after reading the book, the trailer was confusing.

Courtney Davis Izzy wrote: "As someone who hasn't read the book and doesn't know what it's about, I must say that they trailer seems really confusing. Based on the trailer, I wouldn't want to watch the film.
I felt the same ..."

Thank Goodness i read the book because if I hadn't I wouldn't want to see the movie either!!so I completely agree with you on the fact that the trailers don't explain anything at all about what the story is about and just confuse people

versa Hm... I'm not sure. Some of the actors were not how I pictured them, but then that's 'movies-on-books,' am I right? xD
I read about the development in EW, and it seems like it's going along great (even though the same thing happened with both Percy Jackson and City of Bones, and I disliked both of them).
So, after the move comes out, someone tell me.

Amber I have been wondering how it will do in theaters also. I think it will do better than Beautiful Creatures, The Host, and City of Bones but not reach any near where the Hunger Games is right now.

Natasha Most books that were made into movies besides harry potter and the hunger games flopped really hard, which is kinda sad because i loved mortal instruments and even i have to say that the movie was an epic FAIL. I just dont want divergent to flop which after seeing the trailer is likely because the actor playing four is 29 years old when he is supposed to only be 18, you can practically tell by looking at him that he is nowhere near 18 years old.

Lilly Santiago I'm leaning more towards flop since majority of the people that watch the movie will be people who read the books and since they most likely read allegiant...well u can figure that out. Besides if people are boycotting the movie now imagine what will happen when it his theaters but you never know it can still be a success.