Pakistani Readers discussion

Random > Sci-fi discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Time Machine possible or impossible?

Give reasons whatsoever you think.

message 2: by Maira (new)

Maira | 5852 comments Mod
if i start working on it than it is possible. ;p

on serious note. there is only one moment when you can go back in time but it is temporary and inconsistent also known as dreams.
other than dreams there is no other way because time is never constant enough for man to catch it and go back in time. because first you would have to achieve the task of stopping time for making a time machine. if that can be done than yeah a time machine is a kick start for many other possibilities.

message 3: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Well said Maira "Time machine is a kick start for many other possibilities"

In over dreams we maybe can see the past but one can not change any thing in dreams. The next thing is that stopping time might be too far from now but there is one thing that we do ever day...we slow the time by speed:

"The faster you go, the more time seems to slow down" Albert Einstein

I guess that is way it is said any thing that travels with the speed of light will lose its mass or will travel into another dimension.

message 4: by Maira (new)

you have seen the situation form a very positive point of view. :P like "the glass is half filled not half empty"

message 5: by Hasan (new)

Hasan | 36 comments Travelling into the future is possible; that is, it is possible to travel through space-time in such a manner that time would pass slower for you than those residing on Earth.

message 6: by Zenab (new)

Zenab Ch | 2099 comments Mod
Contact! Jodi foster.

message 7: by Maira (new)

Zenab wrote: "Contact! Jodi foster."

her movie panic room is awesome. :P

message 8: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Hasan wrote: "Travelling into the future is possible; that is, it is possible to travel through space-time in such a manner that time would pass slower for you than those residing on Earth."

I guess bro you are right because the Theory of Special relativity stats that:

1-The laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion relative to one another (principle of relativity).
2-The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or of the motion of the source of the light.

Which means that time dilation will also affect on speed of light you see the time in space moves slower but it can be the other also the other way time in space moves faster for us. Its to paradox to think but in shout if anyone speed in space is equal to speed of light which will lead us a certain point thus at over return to earth the time will be somewhere in future.

message 9: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Maira wrote: "you have seen the situation form a very positive point of view. :P like "the glass is half filled not half empty""

Ya maybe that is why a great man said a very positive thing "Life is simple solid all the way through"

message 10: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Maira wrote: "you have seen the situation form a very positive point of view. :P like "the glass is half filled not half empty""

Ya maybe that is why a great man said a very positive thing "Life is simple solid all the way through"

message 11: by Rao (last edited Oct 17, 2013 08:25AM) (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Can molecule also multiple like germs do?

message 12: by Osama (new)

Osama (0042) | 257 comments One can disprove the possibility of time travel by a simple paradox:
If time travel were possible, we'd know it because there would be time travellers traipsing all around the globe, arriving from some other point in time.
This, of course, assumes that the structure of the temporospatial continuum is linear. Theoritical physicisits nowadays subscribe to a variety of theories that propose that the continuum isn't linear (your string theory and parallel universes).
On a slightly unrelated note, has anyone here read the Sci-Fi classic Behold the Man by Michael Moorcock? It totally blew my mind. The subject matter is a bit prickly for the religious blokes, so read it at your own risk.

message 13: by Osama (last edited Oct 17, 2013 06:39AM) (new)

Osama (0042) | 257 comments Rao wrote: "Can molecule also multiple like grams do?"

I think not (assuming the grams is a typo for germs). Conservation of matter, and all that.

message 14: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Osama wrote: "One can disprove the possibility of time travel by a simple paradox:
If time travel were possible, we'd know it because there would be time travellers traipsing all around the globe, arriving from ..."

That is very gratifying answer to a very obnoxious question! I think the prospect of this notion has long been a myth and to unfold the reality behind is a bigger myth. Lets talk theoretically then-if the continuum is not liner then time is divided in various hours which rather very obtuse but thinkable. On the other hand (like I said before) that departing of a point of time to and returning back to the future is also close to time travel which is I assume called Einstein-Rosen Bridge. Thanks of recommending the book will surely read it.

message 15: by Rao (new)

Rao Javed | 713 comments Osama wrote: "Rao wrote: "Can molecule also multiple like grams do?"

I think not (assuming the grams is a typo for germs). Conservation of matter, and all that."

Then can the size of molecule be reduced 0_o
Like I read a time ago in a magazine that an in coming day the one kilobyte will be possessed of uncountable megabyte which will give the boon of excess memory in computer. So lets envisage that a atom possessed of various molecules then can they multiple.

message 16: by Osama (new)

Osama (0042) | 257 comments If the continuum isn't linear, then of course time travel is possible. Provided that you can find a traversable ER bridge, or wormhole, as I prefer. In that case, time travel is all but useless because you won't be changing the history of your own reality-just going to another parallel universe. Let's not forget that this discussion is entirely hypothetical-there is no scientific evidence of existence of wormholes.

message 17: by Ali (new)

Ali Shahzad | 17 comments In my opinion for a time machine to work you need to travel faster than light. According to my understanding an object with a positive rest mass cannot even be at the speed of light. At most it could be made to approach near to speed of light but that alone would require enormous amount of energy. So i think FTL isn't possible in a general sense. However If the fabric of time and space could be bent then we may have FTL. As the expansion of the early universe was faster than light. So we know that there isn't a speed limit for the fabric of universe.

If i remember correctly i read somewhere about a subatomic particle that has traveled back in time but then again the world of quantum physics is strange.

What do you guys think about Aliens i mean there existence is probable. Any one had any contact :P

message 18: by Naoman (last edited Nov 07, 2013 07:51AM) (new)

Naoman Saeed (naomansaeed) | 5 comments you can technically travel to future. but you cant go back. and we should be thank full to Allah that past can't be changed otherwise you know what happens in sci-fi when bad guyz go back.

by the way i m currently reading

A_Brief_History_of_Time

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Behold the Man (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Moorcock (other topics)