Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

16 views

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments Paranoia, from the Joseph Finder book has been released and is in theaters.

A boss blackmails one of his young employees to spy on a rival company.

In this high-stakes thriller, Adam Cassidy (Liam Hemsworth) is a charming, blue collar guy trying to get ahead in his entry-level job at Wyatt Telecom. But after one costly and illegal mistake, Adam is confronted by ruthless CEO Nicholas Wyatt. He won’t turn Adam in under one condition: Adam must agree to infiltrate the competition as a corporate spy. Adam soon finds himself packaged for success, surrounded by glamorous boardrooms, expensive cars, and a life he only dreamed of. But behind the scenes, Wyatt is pulling the strings – stopping at nothing, even murder, to win a multi-billion dollar advantage. Realizing he’s nothing more than a pawn in his boss’s ruthless game, Adam’s only way out – is to go in deeper.


message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Hey Barry and Sherry, any interest in seeing this? I think we've all read the book.


message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14289 comments Barry: Paranoia It should be quite entertaining, and the cast is quite strong: stars Liam Hemsworth, Gary Oldman, Harrison Ford, Lucas Till, Amber Heard, Embeth Davidtz, Julian McMahon, Josh Holloway and Richard Dreyfus. I heard it didn't fare well at the box office so far or at least in the first weekend.
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/18...
I read it years ago and liked Adam Cassidy from the start but was afraid to get too attached as it became clear he was going to have to do some pretty unsavory things in the name of corporate espionage in order to keep himself out of jail. The changing nature of his situation really got to me - this was a fast moving novel, even as the tense situations made me very jumpy as I read.


message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I want to see it too.Harrison Ford is on it.


message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3589 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Hey Barry and Sherry, any interest in seeing this? I think we've all read the book."

Sure. Am in Seattle but when I get back...


message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Okay, will send you an email.


message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments I'm game for this.


message 8: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments It always sounds like fun when you guys get together


message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Kinda like a Three Stooges movie.


message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments Sherry's husband always comes, It is fun.


message 11: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Not only am I sad about not being close enough to join this party, I do not think I have read this book!


message 12: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments I haven't read the book either. Dan and I are in the same state but not close enough for a movie date lol


message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "I haven't read the book either. Dan and I are in the same state but not close enough for a movie date lol"

Well, I confess there is travelling involved when the three of us get together. We're about 2 hours apart. But it is well worth it!


message 14: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Barry wrote: "I'm game for this."

Only if you promise to behave.


message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14289 comments Definitely worth it! I am 18 hours 26 minutes away to drive to Boston! (that could be worth it too, but I would be late to the movie)
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Well, I confess there is travelling involved when the three of us get together. We're about 2 hours apart. But it is well worth it! "


message 16: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments ...Only if you promise to behave.

Behave how?


message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Well, we could meet at Sherry's house in CT and cut a couple of hours off the trip, Ann!

Ann wrote: "Definitely worth it! I am 18 hours 26 minutes away to drive to Boston! (that could be worth it too, but I would be late to the movie)
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Well, I confess there is travelling invo..."



message 18: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments 18:26, good to know, I have a motorcycle meet near Nashville I'd like to try to do next summer. Ambitious trip though, so I'm thinking 50/50 it will happen.


message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Just saw the movie, it's good.


message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14289 comments Sounds like quite a ride!
Then maybe we can meet for a movie in Nashville! Sidecar, Carol? Sherry? ;)

Barry wrote: "18:26, good to know, I have a motorcycle meet near Nashville I'd like to try to do next summer. Ambitious trip though, so I'm thinking 50/50 it will happen."


message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Not if Barry's driving! That man is a maniac!

Ann wrote: "Sounds like quite a ride!
Then maybe we can meet for a movie in Nashville! Sidecar, Carol? Sherry? ;)

Barry wrote: "18:26, good to know, I have a motorcycle meet near Nashville I'd like to try to..."



back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Paranoia (other topics)