The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.1. Nick KY’s Tasks: The Reviews Are In!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 29, 2013 05:43PM) (new)

Sandy | 16194 comments Mod
25.1. Nick KY’s Tasks: The Reviews Are In!

In the Spring, I had the surprise of winning the Best Review and creating a task for the past summer! Now, for the privilege of creating a 25-point task for the Fall, I decided to dedicate it to the 5 past “Best Review” winners, beginning in the Summer of 2012, as well as the nominees for this Fall’s Challenge.

Read two books from TWO DIFFERENT NUMBERED OPTIONS.
Each book must have a minimum of 200 pages.
NOTE: ebooks without print versions cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook or audiobook use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

Required: Tell us which options you chose

Option 1. The Ice Princess, reviewed for Summer 2012 by Anne(Booklady).

Read any book by Camilla Läckberg OR… read any book from one of the following listopias:

Ice and Snow
Land of Ice and Snow
Hockey in Fiction - Adult Books
Required -- tell us which listopia you used and what number your book fell on it when you chose it.

Option 2. Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore! reviewed for Fall 2012 by Paul.

Read any book by Dennis O'Neil OR read any graphic novel. Books with genre “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” “Comic Books,” or “Manga” are OK too.

Option 3. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Reviewed for Winter 2012 by Chris MD.

Read any book by Seth Grahame-Smith OR…read any book with one of the following words in the title or author’s name: “Abraham,” “Lincoln,” “Vampire,” or “Hunter.” (“Hunt” will also work, as will plurals or possessives. No other variations.)

Option 4. Cloud Atlas, reviewed for Spring 2013 by Bucket.

Read any book by David Mitchell OR…read any book listed on the “Readers Also Enjoyed” feature found in the upper right hand corner of the GR main page for Cloud Atlas.

Option 5. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Reviewed for Summer 2013 by Nick.

Read any play(s) by Tennessee Williams(note that general SRC rules allow reading more than one play to reach the required minimum pages) OR…
read any book with a non-human animal on the cover. (Real or fantasy animals are OK.) REQUIRED: include the cover in your post.

Option 6. The Nominees. 11/22/63, reviewed by Stefu, Gone Girl, reviewed by Delmy, Storm Front, reviewed by Chris MD, and Light from a Distant Star, reviewed by Jennifer W.

Read any book by Stephen King, OR… Gillian Flynn, OR…Jim Butcher, OR…Mary McGarry Morris, OR…read any book by Elmore Leonard or Iain Banks(Iain M. Banks), two of my favorite authors, both of whom passed away this last summer. I will miss their work. This makes 6 authors to choose from for Option 6!

NOTE: Genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” may be used for this task.

message 2: by Nick (last edited Oct 17, 2013 02:47PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Saved for Approved Books.

For Option 3: Two Graves

For Option 5: Death Rides Again (Jocelyn Shore #3) by Janice Hamrick Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish Faeries, Elves and Goblins The Old Stories by Rosalind Kerven The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins

message 3: by Nick (last edited Oct 17, 2013 02:48PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Saved for non-Approved Books.

The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs It's a fine non-human animal on the cover, but it's not enough pages. 200 page minimum.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments ohhh good task

message 6: by Chris (last edited Aug 29, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments From Chris MD: LOL! Well, now I have a place to put the second Jim Butcher-Dresden Files book!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments i should get back to that series Chris - i've read the first 2, but then I got distracted...

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments For Option 3, using "Lincoln", could I use Two Graves? It lists Douglas Preston, but if you go to the book's page, Lincoln Child is also listed as an author. (They write this series of books together).

message 9: by Nick (last edited Aug 30, 2013 12:13PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Kate wrote: "For Option 3, using "Lincoln", could I use Two Graves? It lists Douglas Preston, but if you go to the book's page, Lincoln Child is also listed as an author. (They write this series of books togeth..."

I wondered if this question would be asked. Glad it's asked early. Since "Lincoln Child" is one of the authors, I say it is acceptable because that conforms to the wording of the task. You may want to reference this post when you make your post in the Completed Books, however.

Also, though "hovering" over the title only brings up Preston, clicking on the link shows "Lincoln Childs" as one of the authors.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

for option 2, the graphic novels, is the minimum page requirement?

message 11: by Nick (last edited Aug 30, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "for option 2, the graphic novels, is the minimum page requirement?"

The minimum page requirement is 200 pages. The moderators, in conference with those who read such things, were assured that this was absolutely doable, and I have found it to be so.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I am gonna do the following:

Option 1: The Terror Listopia list--> Ice and Snow #24

Option 6: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

message 13: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 30, 2013 02:25PM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments For option 4, I was wondering if those "readers also enjoyed" selections are likely to change? Currently I'm seeing these from my TBR:

The Line of Beauty
The Colour
Mother's Milk

Will those be OK even if the list changes?

And for Option 5, is anything from the animal kingdom OK ... birds, fish, insects, etc?

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily | 684 comments Nick wrote: "Kate wrote: "For Option 3, using "Lincoln", could I use Two Graves? It lists Douglas Preston, but if you go to the book's page, Lincoln Child is also listed as an author. (They write this series of..."

Thanks, Nick :) I'll mention it was approved here when I post.

message 15: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments I just wanted to make sure, for option 5, that it's ok to have animals along with humans on the cover?
Example: Death Rides Again (Jocelyn Shore #3) by Janice Hamrick

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Rosemary wrote: "For option 4, I was wondering if those "readers also enjoyed" selections are likely to change? Currently I'm seeing these from my TBR:

The Line of Beauty
The Colour
Mother's Milk

Will those be OK..."

I believe if you mention the date you found it on the "Readers Also Enjoyed" the mods will accept it. But I need to double-check that, and it might be next week before I can get back to you.

For Option 5 any animal which is not a human person is O.K. Bird, fish, insect, platypus, dragon, etc.

message 18: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Valorie wrote: "I just wanted to make sure, for option 5, that it's ok to have animals along with humans on the cover?
Example: Death Rides Again (Jocelyn Shore #3) by Janice Hamrick"

Totally fine!

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "I am gonna do the following:

Option 1: The Terror Listopia list--> Ice and Snow #24

Option 6: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn"

Looks good.

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Bea wrote: "Option 1:
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time from Ice and Snow list #56

Option 3:
Hunter's Moon"

Good Choices.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Nick wrote: "I believe if you mention the date you found it on the "Readers Also Enjoyed" the mods will accept it. ."

Yes indeed, just like the genre listings. When you choose a book, simply make a note for yourself of the date you checked the "also enjoyed" listing and include that info in your post if it's not there any more. Same goes for genre listings - make a note of the date you found the genre on the book's main page and if it's no longer there when you post, include the info in your post.

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Sandy wrote: "Nick wrote: "I believe if you mention the date you found it on the "Readers Also Enjoyed" the mods will accept it. ."

Yes indeed, just like the genre listings. When you choose a book, simply make..."

Thanks Sandy. Coolness!

I am going to be offline until Tuesday, so I'm glad to get that squared away.

message 23: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments Hi Nick! Does a faerie, elf or goblin count as a non-human animal? Faeries, Elves and Goblins: The Old Stories

thanks!

message 24: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 111 comments I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused! Is it two books from each option or two books in total?

message 25: by Susan (last edited Sep 02, 2013 09:52PM) (new)

Susan | 672 comments For option 5, having a non-human animal on the cover:can it have human and animal on the cover, such as

Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish

Thank you-

ETA-I see you already approved humans and animals together on the cover in a previous post. Just making sure if this specific book is okay.

message 26: by Nick (last edited Sep 03, 2013 07:16AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Claire wrote: "I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused! Is it two books from each option or two books in total?"

Sorry for the confusion Clare. You read two books total, and they must be from two DIFFERENT Options. Each book must be at least 200 pages. If you use the "two plays" option for page total (in Option 5) they must add up to at least 200 pages, and that only counts as "one book" according to the SRC general rules.

Is this clearer?

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Susan wrote: "For option 5, having a non-human animal on the cover:can it have human and animal on the cover, such as

Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish

Thank you-

ETA-I see you already approved hum..."

It's good!

message 28: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Bekka wrote: "Hi Nick! Does a faerie, elf or goblin count as a non-human animal? Faeries, Elves and Goblins: The Old Stories

thanks!"

Watch out for the mods to step in here and counterargue with me. But if they don't, I'll go ahead and "OK" fairies and elves as non-human animals, even though they are "humanoid." My instructions do not say "non-humaniod," they say "non-human," and I must abide by the instructions as they exist in the task.

So your example is OK.

I'm not exactly sure what a "goblin" is or how they relate to "ghosts" -- but "ghosts" in my opinion are human spirits and therefore would not be eligible for this task. But if you've got a fairie, an elf, and a goblin, you're fine.

message 29: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 111 comments Nick wrote: "Claire wrote: "I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused! Is it two books from each option or two books in total?"

Sorry for the confusion Clare. You read two books total, and they must be from two DIF..."

Brilliant, yes, thank you, I just wanted to make sure before I picked my books :)

message 30: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments Nick wrote: "Bekka wrote: "Hi Nick! Does a faerie, elf or goblin count as a non-human animal? Faeries, Elves and Goblins: The Old Stories

thanks!"

Watch out for the mods to step in here and counterargue with ..."

Thanks, Nick! I appreciate it!

message 31: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Option 1 - Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (Land of Ice and Snow Listopia, #2)

Option 3 - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

message 32: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1 - Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (Land of Ice and Snow Listopia, #2)

Option 3 - Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith"

Hi Claire,

If these are your choices for books to read for this task, they are indeed wonderful choices!

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise | 213 comments I'd like to read The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery for Option 5 - Non-Human Animal on the Cover. There is a small bird in the lower right corner of the book. Okay?

message 34: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Hi Denise,

It looks like the bird is a logo for the publishing company. But since I did not disavow such a thing, and it is a non-human animal on the cover, it works. BE SURE, however, to mention when you post that the book was approved in this message.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Thought I better get approval for this very non-human animal for Option 5:

The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

message 36: by Pepperypepper (new)

Pepperypepper | 14 comments Just wanted to get this approved for Option 5 - Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins
(it has a cat in the background)

message 37: by Nick (last edited Oct 17, 2013 02:47PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Hana C wrote: "Thought I better get approval for this very non-human animal for Option 5:

The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs"

Oops! Not enough pages. Not approved!

message 38: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Pepperypepper wrote: "Just wanted to get this approved for Option 5 - Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins
(it has a cat in the background)"

Approved!

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 17, 2013 12:28PM) (new)

Thanks Nick- only I'm dumb because I forgot that I needed to have >200 pages. Oh well- pretty sure there were never any Calots in the glass menagerie anyway :-)

message 40: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments And I feel dumb too, for not noticing the page numbers.