All About Books discussion

Reads & Challenges Archive > Abi's 2013 Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) I'm going for quite a modest aim (well in comparison to the rest of this group, anyway!) of reading 30 books this year. My list so far is:

1. When God Was a Rabbit *****
2. Half of a Yellow Sun ****
3. Boy: Tales of Childhood ****
4. The Age of Innocence ***
5. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ***
6. Q *****
7. A Study in Scarlet ***
8. Heft *****
9. I Was Told There'd Be Cake ***
10. The Devil's Star ***
11. Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity ***
12. On the Road ***
13. Gone Girl ***
14. Sea of Poppies ****
15. Them: Adventures with Extremists ***
16. Safe House ***
17. Swimming Home *****

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Great list! Good luck.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Nice choices :) I see that you really liked Q - I'll have to look out for that.

message 4: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) Yes I really did - I'd definitely recommend it! I'll be honest and say that I was actually drawn to this book by the cover (I've got this copy - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...) and barely knew anything about the storyline. Initially I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it because of the subtitle 'A love story' and the fact that I don't like romance fiction, but I found it to be a really smart and witty read. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that the protagonist/narrator was a male character but I'm not really sure!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Abi wrote: "Yes I really did - I'd definitely recommend it! I'll be honest and say that I was actually drawn to this book by the cover (I've got this copy - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...) and b..."

Sometimes books we don't have any expectations of turn out to be the best! Maybe you should nominate it for fiction book of the month sometime.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments uh, I am quite excited about the fact that you've rated Swimming Home 5 stars, as this has recently made it onto my TBR list.
Shame that I Was Told There'd Be Cake didn't live up to it's title ;)