UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Craft and Cooking (Recipes) > In praise of the microwave

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments From the delights of supermarket-brand porridge in the mornings, to a quick egg in the evening for supper, this delightful device deserves a place in any modern kitchen.

As a bonus it might even cook your kidneys if you stand too close to it.

message 2: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Haha

you know i use the microwave every day without fail. id be lost without it. whether its to warm up my (home-made and always very tasty with the amount of crap i put in it) porridge or milk for breakfast to heating up leftovers for dinners or defrosting meat.

I also use the grill on ours to make cheese on toasts when i feel the need :P

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments My microwave is about 35 years old and still works perfectly. It's like family and has gone everywhere with me. All it's ever had replaced is a light bulb and that was earlier this year and it still worked with the light out. I'll be really sad when it conks out.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I use my microwave for nearly everything, in fact I wore it out and recently had to get a new one. Its a wonderful invention. Otherwise I would be living on sandwiches.

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments we got a new built in microwave (which sits above our oven) when we got a new kitchen. its very posh

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments I make far too many sponge puddings than is remotely healthy thanks to the microwave. Not as nice as a proper steamed one I grant you, but pretty darned tasty all the same (made a rather tasty one with Mrs E's homemade lemon curd last week, went down a treat with a blob of Gallone's ice cream).

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11359 comments When I lived at Home I thought I would only use the microwave, but turns out I rarely use it.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments I used to make a lot of sultana sponge puddings with either jam or golden syrup for my ex-hubby years ago. I thought they tasted like a steamed sponge as the microwave does sort of steam them. I don't make puddings in it now as I put on weight far too easily.
I do like making scrambled eggs in it though and I always cook my veg in it, instead of boiling, as there's so much less mess and they turn out perfectly every time.
Also like making milky coffee in it now and again and it's brilliant for Christmas pudding as you just stick it in for a few seconds instead of having it steaming away for hours.
I reheat the homemade meals like stew and curries, which I cook in batches, and have frozen, as it saves me a lot of money and time.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11359 comments Hmm, didn't know you could make sponge puddings in a microwave. I only cook scrambled eggs in the microwave, and always use it for things like tinned veg.

message 10: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments Tins in the microwave? I love a good fireworks display.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11359 comments WEll, obviously take it out of the tin, I meant things like beans and tomatoes, not fresh or frozen veg.

message 12: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments BOR-ING.

One of the great things about the microwave is its versatility. Not only can it heat things in the blink of an eye, but it's perfect for providing entertainment as well.

I even used it as an emergency bookshelf when IKEA sent me the wrong package last year.

message 13: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments I'll never forget the image (or the smell) of what a microwave can do to a bar of soap! University pranks in shared kitchens :)

If I never had a microwave, I'd probably starve to death!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11359 comments Mine has loads of crap on the top of it.

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Mine has loads of crap on the top of it."

Whilst a friend was at university, the floor below him put a crap in their shared microwave. Apparently it did not release a pleasant odour.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments The only tinned veg I eat occasionally is baked beans and tinned tomatoes that I use to go in things. Although sometimes I keep a tin of carrots or potatoes in for emergencies.
I find fresh veg tastes lovely from the microwave, even 'boiled' potatoes.
I have done jacket potatoes in it for quickness, and they're ok, but I prefer them done in the oven.
I also use it to soften things like butter and also cook my pasta in it now as it's so much easier.

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Desley (Cat fosterer) wrote: "Hmm, didn't know you could make sponge puddings in a microwave. I only cook scrambled eggs in the microwave, and always use it for things like tinned veg."

100g butter, 100g sugar, 75g plain flour, 2 and a half tsps of baking powder, 2 large eggs. Beat well and plonk in a basin with a copious amount of jam, syrup or whatever in the base and drizzled around the sides. Cover with cling film and microwave for 5 minutes ish. Beware when you take it out because although the cling film will balloon up, it'll soon sink down and squish all the air out of the sponge. Release a bit of steam and keep an eye that it doesn't try such dastardly behaviour again.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Those puddings are really good when eaten straight away. I also reheat Christmas pudding. When you can smell it its usually cooked enough!
Have you ever had sparks while defrosting prawns? God knows what they'd been eating - iron filings - from the looks of the firework display but I had to have a new part in my microwave afterwards.

message 19: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Lynne (Tigger's Mum) wrote: "Have you ever had sparks while defrosting prawns? God knows what they'd been eating - iron filings - from the looks of the firework display but I had to have a new part in my microwave afterwards. ..."

Probably all the mercury in them.

message 20: by Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (last edited Aug 29, 2013 10:06AM) (new)

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments No never done prawns as I don't like any sort of seafood.

Never heard of getting sparks off any food...sounds a bit dodgy.

message 21: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments I used to put funsize (stupid description of such pathetically small confectionary) Mars bars, Milky Ways, Dairy Milks etc into the microwave and then squirt them over ice cream (at uni of course). Most worked well in an overly sickly way, that is until Cadbury's decided to supply their chocolate in foil wrappers, something that I failed to notice...

message 22: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Now I'm fancying sponge pud!

message 23: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "Now I'm fancying sponge pud!"

Do it! Crack open a fresh jar of lemon curd and dollop on some clotted cream or dairy ice cream once you're done. It's your duty as a citizen! (and send some to me also)

message 24: by Lynne (Tigger's Mum) (last edited Aug 29, 2013 08:41AM) (new)

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I've had some white chocolate and some blackcurrants go whizz bang as well! (I did take the foil off) and someone suggested it was impurities in the kitchen paper can do that but I didn't have paper in with the chocolate. I don't put unsuitable plates in so I'm baffled. Husband suggested the prawns had heavy metals in them. I don't care - I didn't eat them.

message 25: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments My neighbour cooked an aubergine in the microwave and forgot to stab it. It exploded like a purple Gremlin.

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments Talking of those sponge puddings when I was a kid we had one for pudding and as it was put down - I bent forward and sniffed the lovely treacle syrupy smell. Dad was strict on table manners and he gave my head a push down and I really burned my nose in the treacle. I had a blister on my face , Ma gave him hell and sister refused to eat it, Oh happy days. Child cruelty!

message 27: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments When I was still at work we had a microwave to warm up our snacks (new). The boss wouldn't let anyone use it until he had a go first. He got a packet meal and popped it in for the correct time. BUT he didn't pierce the film, it exploded, food everywhere and him feeling like a right twit. Got that right anyway.

message 28: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Palmer | 255 comments Our microwave is disgusting. I've tried to poach eggs in cups so many times, the explosions have created eggy stalactites on the roof.

message 29: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I hardly ever use our microwave except for popcorn and heating milk when I have ready brek for breakfast

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Nicola wrote: "Our microwave is disgusting. I've tried to poach eggs in cups so many times, the explosions have created eggy stalactites on the roof."

Gross.

Time to buy a new one, I'd say.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I thought you were supposed to clean it after each use?

message 32: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Palmer | 255 comments Gingerlily - Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish. wrote: "I thought you were supposed to clean it after each use?"

Surely that defeats the object of microwave meals being quick?!!!

Just need to find my ice scraper if I'm going to clean it! The light's just stopped working too, so I can't see the mess unless I look closely. Maybe it is time for a new one :P

message 33: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments apparently a mug of water with lemon juice put in the microwave to create steam is good for cleaning it. All you have to do it wipe it down

message 34: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Palmer | 255 comments I'll try that! I might give the eggy, lemony soup a miss afterwards, though.

message 35: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments Sometime back I'd use the timer on the microwave for when I was cooking things in the oven. One day I'd pressed cook instead of timer. The only thing to cook in there was some spill of something. 15 minutes later, hubby came downstairs coughing. I have no sense of smell so I didn't smell it burning, but on looking up I could see the smoke at the ceiling. Ooops. That was ruined.

Another bad experience was in work one day cooking soup in a bowl. I'd taken it out half way and stirred it, then took it out when it binged, but didn't leave it and stuck my spoon in. BANG. It exploded massively and I had a burnt hand and had to clean the walls and everything. I was in shock so had to go home as I kept bursting into tears (big girl's blouse or canny afternoon off? - not telling).
It's called superheating and if you don't see bubbles on anything that comes out of the microwave, then don't stick anything in it. I'm still nervous now and if I'm cooking a packet soup, I'll bang it a bit to disturb it. Or if I'm going to stick a spoon in I'll have a piece of kitchen towel over it.

message 36: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments Joo, your stories just go to show how dangerous life can be for us suburbanites.

I remember when an email went around at work about the danger of superheating liquids in the microwave. I actually thought it was a joke as it read like something from The Onion.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah. I googled 'do not microwave'

I'm shocked that the list is so short!

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2011/03/...

message 38: by Joo (last edited Oct 04, 2013 03:00PM) (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments I would always always stir my tea big time if I'd put it in the microwave to warm it up. I give that a bang on the table top first nowadays.
They are definitely scary things. When I warm up my lunch in them (like chicken curry or bolognaise) you can hear it popping and exploding and the lid or cover is covered in it.

message 39: by Joo (new)

Joo (jooo) | 1636 comments I so want to microwave a grape now :D

Lynne (Tigger's Mum) | 5862 comments I use Lakeland Microperf cling film - its brilliant, it already has tiny holes in and it tears off as its pre-perforated. That boiling over of drinks can give you a really nasty surprise. I make jam in mine (deliberately) its terrific and doesnt boil over funnily enough.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I used to make Rice Krispies treats in my nuker all the time on the island. Brilliant for melting marshmallows but you've gotta be careful and keep taking them out to stir them as they expand really quickly.

Haven't made any here as Rice Krispies cost €10 a box!

Bloody redickalus.

message 42: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Grapes - I don't think you can make raisins this way. Your grapes will ignite, even though they are mostly water. It's a decent way to see the state of matter known as plasma, but you can ruin your appliance once the water from the grapes evaporates.

That Ignite gets everywhere

message 43: by Andy (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments I made French toast in the microwave at the weekend. 'Twas not good.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Can't see that working Andy. Nope.