The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BEST & WORST BOOKS OF... > Best of the Summer 2013 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17881 comments Mod
What were your favorite books of the Summer 2013 Challenge?

message 5: by Salem (last edited Aug 31, 2013 05:50PM) (new)

Salem  | 45 comments 5 star:

Where She Went (If I Stay, #2) by Gayle Forman The Latehomecomer A Hmong Family Memoir by Kao Kalia Yang I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

4 star:
Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2) by Pittacus Lore

message 6: by Janice (last edited Aug 31, 2013 10:57PM) (new)

message 7: by Bea (last edited Sep 01, 2013 07:57AM) (new)

Bea | 4095 comments My 5 star reads:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (However, I am glad I have finished the series.)
Sail (Listened to audiobook and still rated 5 stars!)
A Night Without Armor (Wonderful poetry)

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
My favorites for this season:
Still Alice by Lisa Genova The Angel's Game (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #2) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
The Time Between by Karen White - beautifully told story about sisters
The Soloist A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music by Steve Lopez - a completely unexpected find. I only read it because it had a musical instrument on the cover. Glad I did! ;-)

message 10: by Ana (new)

Ana | 356 comments My favorite this season: Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms, #1) by Morgan Rhodes -It was a great birthday present.

Other great books I read
Alien Taste (Ukiah Oregon, #1) by Wen Spencer -Ugly cover almost didn't read it.
The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

message 11: by Ann A (last edited Sep 01, 2013 10:31AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 911 comments My two favorites were Les Misérables (it took me almost the whole challenge to finish this, but I'm glad I took my time) and The Remains of the Day.

Also loved a couple of bios:
My Life So Far and Open

Too many 4-stars to list - it was a successful reading season!

message 12: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments The best book I read this challenge, and all year, actually, was The Gift of Rain. Wonderfully developed characters, beautiful location, fascinating cultures, and interesting history. I'm sure I'll reread it at some point in the not too distant future.

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen (jayebee) | 252 comments A few memorable faves:
You Are One of Them
Cinnamon Toast and the End of the World
Eleven
&
Life on Mars - A great book that I would recommend if someone rolls a poetry task in the future (like Dee - & I - did!). It's very rock & roll, and concrete, about subjects like science & technology & space & David Bowie. Not your standard boring flowery poetry at all.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments Jennifer W wrote: "The best book I read this challenge, and all year, actually, was The Gift of Rain. Wonderfully developed characters, beautiful location, fascinating cultures, and interesting history. I'm sure I'll..."

Jennifer, I read this a couple of challenges ago and loved it, too! I picked it up only because I needed a book with "rain" in the title. He has another one out that I'm hoping to get to this time around.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 967 comments I really focused on books that I wanted to read this challenge and there were a lot of good ones.

5 stars
The Book Thief
The Bookseller of Kabul

4 stars
Live by Night (and I think maybe this should be 5 stars)
Life After Life
Half Broke Horses

The surprise find:
The Copper Tale
I think I got this as a Kindle freebie. Unique story wonderfully told.

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I didn't like the Bookseller of Kabul.

message 18: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 471 comments Chris wrote: "Jennifer W wrote: "The best book I read this challenge, and all year, actually, was The Gift of Rain. Wonderfully developed characters, beautiful location, fascinating cultures, and interesting his..."

I haven't read his other one, either. Do let me know how it is.

Glad you enjoyed The Book Thief, it's one of my all time favs!

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (deja05) | 100 comments Favourite books read this summer:

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - great thriller, it was hard to predict the ending which doesn't often happen for me

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) by Samantha Shannon - loved it!

My Bluegrass Baby (Bluegrass, #1) by Molly Harper - cute story

The Time Between by Karen White - really liked this one

Still Life With Murder (Gilded Age Mystery, #1) by P.B. Ryan - loved this series

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - great book

The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron - great YA steampunk

Eon Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman - loved this one, the sequel not so much

The Last Summer by Judith Kinghorn - I love Downton Abbey so this was right up my alley

Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow - surprisingly good and a fast read

Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown - unusual but quite good

The Duke's Tattoo (The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse , #1) by Miranda Davis , The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge #1) by Lindsay Buroker - pretty good for self published books

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2544 comments We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler by Karen Joy Fowler surprised me with how good it was, as did All the Beautiful Sinners by Stephen Graham Jones by Stephen Graham Jones.

I always enjoy a chance to read Bicycles by Nikki Giovanni by Nikki Giovanni and poems of Emily Dickenson such as in Final Harvest Poems by Emily Dickinson

message 25: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 659 comments 5 stars:
Soundings The Story of the Remarkable Woman Who Mapped the Ocean Floor by Hali Felt Soundings: The Story of the Remarkable Woman Who Mapped the Ocean Floor by Hali Felt is a great biography about the woman who first discovered through mapping the mid-Atlantic ridge.

The Serpent's Daughter The Serpent's Daughter (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #3) by Suzanne Arruda by Suzanne Aruda. The third one in the series, and I really enjoyed all three of them so far.

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) by George R.R. Martin A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Great read!

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley by Alan Bradley. I just discovered that one this summer. Loved it!

I had lots of 4 star books too.