Rochester Reads discussion

General > Introductions!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 23 comments Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in this discussion thread. If you don't know what to say, you could:

- tell us what you do during the days (work outside the home, work from the home, go to school, etc.)

- tell us when you first fell in love with reading

- tell us about any hobbies you have in addition to reading

Looking forward to "meeting" you all!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyree) I am a remedial reading teacher for kindergartners, first and second graders in a public school. Besides reading I sew, garden, scrapbook and enjoy grandkids.

I had a little difficulty learning to read in 1st grade. My mother took us to the library often. Summers we would each check out two books every two weeks. Everyday after lunch we had to nap or rest - with our books. I read my two books then my sister's two books.Some of the places we lived didn't have TV reception and reading was our entertainment.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 23 comments Thank you for your intro, Becky! I hope you had a good timing gardening and spending time with your grandkids this summer!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 23 comments I am the Adult Program Coordinator at the Rochester Public Library, as well as a director at a school library. In my spare time, I enjoy traveling, playing volleyball and basketball, reading, and knitting (a new love for me!). I've also never been known to turn down a nice cup of coffee or tea. :)

message 5: by Marg (new)

Marg | 1 comments I am a retired school administrator (and former librarian!) now embracing a "bell-free" lifestyle!

I fell in love with reading in 1st grade when I "decoded" the word "something" before it was taught to us - and the mysteries of the letter and word combinations have captivated me ever since.

As for hobbies, it really is all about reading for me - I have hundreds and hundreds of books stacked and shelved waiting to be read, I love to visit bookstores and libraries when I travel, and I keep lists of other book titles I want to read - but haven't found yet!

The perfect day is one with nothing pressing to do - but sit in a comfy chair with a cup of coffee or tea and read - all day long -- Sheer bliss!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Matthews | 3 comments I work for Blue Cross and I work from home. Love it!! I don't know what started my love for reading. The first books I remember reading are Charlottes web and Little House On The Prairie. Now I would rather read then watch tv any day. Other hobbies I have are playing video games, taking road trips, shopping, and hanging with my daughter.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 23 comments Welcome to our group, Amanda! We are happy you've joined us!

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1 comments Hi Everyone! I am the Youth Services Director at Rochester Public Library. I first fell in love with reading before I really knew it. My mom had me surrounded by books from the time I was born. I guess I really fell in love with reading when my brother was born. I was able to read books to him that I had grown up with.

When not working or reading, I like to play with my dog, bake, play piano, and go to target :)

message 9: by Shanda (new)

Shanda Strawkas (bluescrapper289) Hi! My name is Shanda. I work at Abe's Hideout in Mechanicsburg. I'm married with 2 boys and we live on a farm.

I've always been a bookworm. Very rarely will I go anywhere without a book. Goodreads has been my favorite website for a while. My goal for 2014 is to read 100 books.

Besides reading, I love to watch my boys play sorts. Yes, I'm the crazy Mom who likes to yell. I also love to take pictures, scrapbook and watch movies. My happy places are Barnes and Noble, Starbucks and libraries. :)

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 23 comments Welcome, Shanda! I admire your goal to read 100 books this coming year--good for you! We hope you'll enjoy being a member of this group! :) Feel free to read along with any of our book club selections!

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait Hello Everyone! My name is Cait and I am the new Adult Program Coordinator at Rochester Public Library taking over for Rachel. If you have any questions feel free to send them my way! :) On a personal note... I like reading mostly Fantasy Fiction and I am currently making a strong effort to branch out and read other genres. So please feel free to suggest titles. :) Have a great day!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 23 comments Congratulations, Cait! I'll look forward to checking in on this group from time to time! :)