East County San Diego Ladies Book Club discussion

★ Book Swapping & Sharing > e-Book Sharing

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2013 11:52AM) (new)

♡ Kristina (krissy_ione) | 274 comments Mod
Many of us use various e-Readers and some of those e-Readers allow you to share your copy of an e-book with someone else. I personally am in a group of sharing books and have some that I can share with you if interested. Most of mine are mobi format (for kindle) but I can convert them to your format.

If you're interested in sharing e-books, please comment on what type of e-Reader you own, the format of books it accepts, and your email address where you'd like the book sent to (not device email address as you'll have to change settings to allow another person to send you docs).

Then, if there is a particular book you are looking for, or one that you're willing to share with others, comment on here.

message 2: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (last edited Sep 17, 2013 11:15AM) (new)

Member e-Readers

Kristina
          Device: Kindle Fire
          Format: mobi or PDF
          Email: k.1980.martin@gmail.com

Krissy
          Device: Kindle
          Email: micahkrissy2003@yahoo.com

Veronica
          Device: Kindle
          Email:

message 3: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

I have The Ocean at the End of the Lane, our September Book Club selection, in mobi and epub format to share.

message 4: by Krissy (new)

Krissy Walker | 45 comments ♡ Kristina wrote: "I have The Ocean at the End of the Lane, our September Book Club selection, in mobi and epub format to share."

I was just about to purchase this book so am I so happy that you are willing to share. I just started looking into how to share on the kindle so this is all very new to me. Thanks for starting this thread - brilliant idea!

message 5: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2013 01:28PM) (new)

Krissy wrote: "I was just about to purchase this book so am I so happy that you are willing to share...."

Yay, glad you saw this in time :). I just emailed it to you. So now you should be able to send it to your device. If you don't know how, here's some quick steps:

(1) Log into your Amazon Account
(2) Click on Your Account, Manage Your Kindle
(3) Click on Manage Your Devices
(4) Now you should see your Kindle Device Email address, copy that
(5) Forward the email, with the mobi attachment, to your Device Email Address in step 4
(6) Depending on your device, it may upload automatically to it (my Kindle Fire does once I sync it (sometimes it takes 15 min) but my Kindle 2 doesn't).
(7) If it doesn't upload automatically, then complete the following:
          (8) Log into your Amazon Account
          (9) Click on Your Account, it should load "Your Kindle Library"
          (10) After you emailed it (~5 min) you should get an email from Amazon telling you it's ready.
          (11) Click on Actions, Deliver to My, and select your device name.
          (12) Now it should have been forced to your Kindle.
           (13) You'll have to sync the kindle in order for it to be delivered.

If you got a undeliverable email, then your email isn't accepted by your device to receive documents. You'll need to add it on Amazon, Manage Your Kindle, Personal Document Settings, Approved Personal Document E-mail List, add your email address (the yahoo one).

Let me know if you have any issues.

message 6: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2013 01:34PM) (new)

Krissy wrote: "I just started looking into how to share on the kindle so this is all very new to me."

So not every book is "lendable", but sometimes when you purchase a book it says "Loan This Title" under the actions within your library. That means you can lend it one time to someone else. Also, when you purchase a book, in the book listing, it will say "Lending: Enabled" if it's a lendable copy. I don't know how it works for others, but I know the nook also has lending (though not with other devices).

Other than that, sometimes I have ARC's (Advance Reader Copies), or formats directly from the publisher/author, that I can just email to others. My online bookclub does it a lot so I can usually find someone with a copy of any "mainstream" or "popular" book that I can then pass on to others. Sharing is caring :) HAHA

message 7: by Krissy (new)

Krissy Walker | 45 comments ♡ Kristina wrote: "Krissy wrote: "I just started looking into how to share on the kindle so this is all very new to me."

So not every book is "lendable", but sometimes when you purchase a book it says "Loan This Tit..."

Love it - thanks so much!!! This is so exciting!!!!

message 8: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

:)

message 9: by Krissy (new)

Krissy Walker | 45 comments ♡ Kristina wrote: ":)"

Do you know, does it usually take a while to show up in your email?

message 10: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

the initial email I sent with the attachment? Shouldn't ... should just be like a normal email. this is your email, right? micahkrissy2003@yahoo.com ... maybe add my email k.1980.martin@gmail.com in your address book (could it have gone to spam?)

message 11: by Krissy (new)

Krissy Walker | 45 comments ♡ Kristina wrote: "the initial email I sent with the attachment? Shouldn't ... should just be like a normal email. this is your email, right? micahkrissy2003@yahoo.com ... maybe add my email k.1980.martin@gmail.com..."

Ok, mystery solved. Yes, that was the correct email, however, it seems that my husband must have been checking email as well - he put your email in the trash :( I will have a little talk with him about that :) Thanks again!!!!

message 12: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

Krissy wrote: " he put your email in the trash :("

HOW DARE HE! Please give him a lil whack-a-smack from me :)

message 13: by Krissy (new)

Krissy Walker | 45 comments ♡ Kristina wrote: "Krissy wrote: " he put your email in the trash :("

HOW DARE HE! Please give him a lil whack-a-smack from me :)"

Will do - he clearly does not understand the importance of sharing :)

message 14: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

I have The Cuckoo's Calling, our October Book Club selection, in mobi or epub format to share. Let me know if you're interested.

message 15: by Veronica, Moderator (new)

Veronica (vrvanderhyde) | 122 comments Mod
Definitely interested! I have a kindle. That's the mobi format, right?

message 16: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

Yes, mobi is kindle. What is your email?

message 17: by Veronica, Moderator (new)

I messaged it to you. Thanks!

message 18: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (last edited Apr 22, 2014 07:06PM) (new)

I have our May Book of the Month Selection, Firefly Lane, in PDF, Mobi and Epub format if anyone wants it. (I also have Book 2, Fly Away)

message 19: by Veronica, Moderator (new)

Yay! Will you send me both please? :)
Mobi format.

message 20: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

Ya, it'll be tomorrow

message 21: by Veronica, Moderator (new)

No rush. I'm about halfway through Hidden right now. My husband can tell when a book is good because I become very anti-social and stick my nose in my kindle whenever I have a chance.

message 22: by ♡ Kristina, Moderator (new)

Oooh, just read the description of that and it looks good!

PS --- I got stuck on Insurgent :/ couldn't get into it like I did Divergent. Still want to (and will) finish the series but I'm sad that I'm not as into it.

And also, I rented the Book Thief last weekend from redbox ... but after two days of not watching it I returned it. Was super excited to see it but just didn't have the time :( will try again sometime soon. Did you guys watch it?

message 23: by Veronica, Moderator (new)

It's been awhile since I read Insurgent. I remember thinking that it dragged a little. I think because so much was packed into the first book that the second seems slower. Sorry :(

Not yet! I still have it though. Let me know if you want to join us one evening and watch it.