What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Science Fiction short story, 50s or 60s, island where children are left to grow alone and develop without input from adults

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Serendi (new)

Serendi I've been wandering through here for about a week, and in the process was reminded of this story. I remember a heck of a lot, just not title or author.

The POV character is one of a group who are observing an island where children were left to grow alone and develop their natural direction. (I don't remember any discussion of the logistics of it.)

At the time of the story, the kids are in their teens, if I remember right. They've developed a language of their own.

SERIOUS spoilers here:

(view spoiler)

I think I found it in a multi-author anthology, not sure. I read it several decades ago, and it has the feel of 50s SF, could be a bit later.

Anyone recognize it?

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Ok, I recognized the first part of it--but then you started talking about aliens, and that's when it went awry from the story that I'd been thinking it was.

No idea, but it sure sounds interesting, and when it's ID'ed I'll be searching for a copy of whatever book has the story in it.

message 3: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Badda-bing badda-bump.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2039 comments Elements of this remind me of Howard Fast's "The First Men" (aka The Trap): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Firs...

message 5: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Which in turn reminds me of parts of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End...

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Any chance it's Otherborn?

message 7: by Serendi (new)

Serendi No, sorry. My description really is pretty much the whole story - it's short. I just can't remember who wrote it or what anthology it was in. It buggeth me.

Thanks anyway!

message 8: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1323 comments Isn't that the plot for Lord of the Flies? Then again, pretty sure there weren't any aliens in that one

message 9: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Nah, in Lord of the Flies things went *wrong*! ;-)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments *Thanksgiving Bump*

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Serendi left the group, so we need to move this to Abandoned. People can still post if they want, just in case she ever returns.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Childhood's End (other topics)
Otherborn (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Arthur C. Clarke (other topics)