Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2)
This topic is about The Murder on the Links
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Christie, Agatha; Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot #2) Start Date October 28 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
Murder on the Links, by Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot #2

In Murder on the Links, Poirot attempts to unravel the grisly conundrum of not one, but two dead bodies discovered on a French golf course.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

We are open to a discussion on the type of "buddy read" this should be and the start date.

Once we start...

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reserved.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Oh. Decisions, decisions. There is a regular narrated edition of this and another that is a dramatization.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I've heard both and I really like the dramatization, but you really need to pay attention to whose voice is whose....or it can be very confusing!

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Is this one for October at some point?

message 6: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Ashley Marie wrote: "Is this one for October at some point?"

That's what we are thinking, Ash. Maybe around the same time?

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Rebecca wrote: "I've heard both and I really like the dramatization, but you really need to pay attention to whose voice is whose....or it can be very confusing!"

I see the dramatization is really, really short. Like, only a little over an hour. So, I'll probably go with the regular narration.

message 8: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments I *almost* missed this thread. LK, is the narrator good?

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments They sound pretty good, Vi. However, I was at the brick and mortar bookstore last night and just went ahead and picked up the paperback of this one.

message 10: by Bindy (new)

Bindy | 2 comments I'm new to the groups on this site and I'm wondering if there is a way to subscribe to discussions similar to how you can forums to receive updates. I've never read an Agatha Christie novel so I'm excited for his challenge!

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4867 comments Tag!

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Bindy wrote: "I'm new to the groups on this site and I'm wondering if there is a way to subscribe to discussions similar to how you can forums to receive updates."

Bindy, there isn't a way to do a blanket coverage of all similar discussions; however, Control Notifications in a Thread might help you with getting notifications for a specific thread, like this one. Also, we do try to post the link for the next in a series.

FYI: the first in this sires will be a Book of the Month this month; the discussion is here.

message 13: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4867 comments Just a forewarning, this isn't one of the best of the series. Of course, the first one wasn't either. :P

Keep reading them! :D

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4867 comments Can we do this one AFTER the read-a-thon? there are already a few buddy reads going on during the read-a-thon that are going to make things more complex haha

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Have we decided on a date that would work for everyone yet? I'm with Steven in voting for after the 19th :)

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14466 comments Mod
That's fine with me as I'm not sure I will get to this one, but I'll try!

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yes, definitely after the Read-a-Thon. Is the 28th too late?

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I could do the 29th - I'll be out of town for my birthday until the 28th. Or I could just catch up with everyone if you start on the 28th. Either way would be fine with me.

message 19: by Vi (new)

Vi | 1421 comments Oh, anytime after 26 is busy-time. Close to Diwali which means visiting time. I'll try to join in by starting early so I have time to participate.

message 20: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Oh, a Birthday Baby this month, Ash. Happy B-Day to you.

I have Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger until the 27th... then the SU...

Andreea (magicb) | 0 comments So when do we start?

message 22: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Is the 28th alright? Or do you want to start on the 27th? My book has 249 pages.

message 23: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4867 comments I'll just have to jump in when I can. My reading plan for this month is shot to heck and I'm having to retool it. LOL!

message 24: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Man-oh-man! I've had plenty of months like that, Steven.

message 25: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4867 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Man-oh-man! I've had plenty of months like that, Steven."

Yeah, it's crazy. I planned stupidly... my average book length is like 300-350 pages. So why did I plan around 6books that were 449+ pages?!

*doh!*

So I've had to drop some of the books I was thinking I'd get through... and this one is just a reread, so I'll have to get to it when I get to it lol!

message 26: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments It is like going to the Smörgåsbord; my eyes are bigger than my stomach.

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I'd prefer the 28th, as I'll be playing a bit of catch up regardless.

Hubby refuses to tell me what we're doing for my birthday, but he told me to take two days off work for some reason...which makes me think a surprise trip!

I'm so curious I'm about to exppplloooooddeeee.

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4867 comments Ashley Marie wrote: "I'd prefer the 28th, as I'll be playing a bit of catch up regardless.

Hubby refuses to tell me what we're doing for my birthday, but he told me to take two days off work for some reason...which ma..."

Come pick me up... I need it DESPERATELY! X)

message 29: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Okay, I put this one on hold at the library, so I'll jump in when I can.

message 30: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Ooooh! Sounds exciting, Ashley Marie!

message 31: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments I'm in but I'll listen to the dramatisation ,it's only 1 hour and 24 minutes:(

My library has 47 books listed under Hercule Poirot in different formats mostly unabridged audio ,expect this one!

message 32: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments Did you do a buddy read for the first book in the series?

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Ooooh! Sounds exciting, Ashley Marie!"

He's trying to out do me, I think. For his 30th I kidnapped him and took him to Canada so that we could go to microbreweries and tour the Hockey Hall of Fame (his favorite things).

Steven wrote: "Ashley Marie wrote: "I'd prefer the 28th, as I'll be playing a bit of catch up regardless.

Hubby refuses to tell me what we're doing for my birthday, but he told me to take two days off work for s..."

'Kay, we'll swing by.

message 34: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments ShoSho, it was BOM for September and it is posted here.

message 35: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Aww. Ash, that was so sweet and thoughtful of you.

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I regretted it bitterly after being forced to look at hockey pucks for 8 hours. He closed the museum.

At that point, *I* needed the microbreweries.

message 37: by ShoSho (last edited Oct 17, 2013 06:22PM) (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "ShoSho, it was BOM for September and it is posted here."

Thanks I'll check it out:)

message 38: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments **gigglesnort**

message 39: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Proposed Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters PPDQ's
Oct. 28th 01 - 08 Lisa Kay
Oct. 29th 08 - 17 ??
Oct. 30th 18 - 28 ??

Date Chapters PPDQ's
Oct. 28th 01 - 06 Lisa Kay
Oct. 29th 07 - 13 ??
Oct. 30th 14 - 21 ??
Oct. 31st 22 - 28 ??

message 40: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments My audiobook is only an hour ,so I'll listen to it on 31st ;)

message 41: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments An hour! I think you have the abridged version.

message 42: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "An hour! I think you have the abridged version."

no it's the dramatization. I've never listened to one of those before ,a new experience for me.

message 43: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Oh, I really like those. Let us know what you think.

Clare Butler | 294 comments Hi all
I have introduced a new member to the group, called Verena's from Germany, hope you don't mind. We want to read this book together but don't know which chapter list we are reading. Is this one with questions or not?
Clare

Andreea (magicb) | 0 comments I got my book! Just in time :3

message 46: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Welcome, Clare!

Yay, Andreea!

Sorry, something has come up with me and - while I read the first two chapters - I won't be able to read more and join in the discussion until after the 31st.

message 47: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments I'm only 15 minutes in but it's fantastic.I'm loving it.
It's like watching the TV show.

message 48: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 446 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "
Sorry, something has come up with me and - while I read the first two chapters - I won't be able to read more and join in the discussion until after the 31st."

Is everything OK ,LK?

message 49: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments That is so neat, ShoSho! ...Hmmm... I think I already checked my library for it, and they don't have any version of the audio. That is why I bought the paperback.

Lucky you!

Clare Butler | 294 comments Do you want me to have a go at the first set of questions? Never done it before but could give it a go

« previous 1