Multiculturalism in YA,Fantasy, Sci FI,Paranormal and fun books ;p discussion

Boots and culture ;p

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Taking Henry's advice and creating a thread about boots ;p

Definitely for the chuckle factor but still...

Boots can also be a cultural thing. My boyfriend is not Latino or black. He doesn't quite understand why timberlands are a cultural norm in my community :p

To me they're just boots. I own them in wheat, pink, black, grey and navy. To him they're work boots or hiking boots, but in essence I wear them like one might wear dc martens.

Any takers? The fountainpendiva ;p I know you'll follow suit.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 115 comments I grew up with my dad wearing cowboy boots. I started wearing them in high school and got "the looks" but I always thought they were cool. Then I started wearing Docs in college because they looked great with boho skirts. I was a punk-goth-metal-riot grrl back then, LOL.

Right now I own one pair of black Justin cowboy boots, a pair of distressed khaki ones, a pair of Ariat engineer-style boots, my Uggs and of course, my twenty-eyelet Docs. Oh, and a pair of vintage Victorian granny boots.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never thought to wear cowboy boots :p

Which is funny because I'm originally from the south( though many have argued with me that Florida is not truly the south).

I love combat boots, but I've hardly every found them comfortable. I blame my bad feet XD

I used to be able to wear all types of shoes, but for whatever reason, my feet just aren't having it. I remember owning a pair of silver platform boots in high school XD when I think about it I probably looked tacky. But I thought was so bad ass back then. Lol

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm ashamed to admit that I admired dc martens because I loved Hanson growing up. They were so expensive though, I always wondered why something most people whom hit up consignment shops(me included) wore such expensive shoes XD

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a few pairs of zodiac boots in my early 20s. They're really western inspired, but full on cowboy boots...I just don't have the feet for them, lol. I kinda miss my zodiacs but my feet don't :p

@guinevere I remember those dreadful silver boots. We looked like moon men, lol.

All I really play around with now are equestrian, timberlands and one pair of combat boots. But gotta say nuttin beats Timbs!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

@ the fountainpendiva with the mention of Victorian boots, I totally remember owning a pair. I wore them until the caps fell off. They were so cute and went with the look I was going for at the time, which was the band leader/ring leader/military look. I swear I thought I was fly!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love equestrian boots. I think they compliment most people :) my calves have grown so I have to be weary.

I like the look of granny Victorian boots, I just don't think I have the confidence level to make them work. I tend to love them on others, which is with reason. Some things that are signature to @ Libertad I feel so silly in XD

message 8: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) I'll be wise and stay out of this one (for now) :)

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 115 comments In high school I went through my punk phase which meant safety-pinned party dresses paired with combat boots. Being a nerd basically afforded me the chance to dress however I chose, though I really loved the social commentary of punk too. Then I went through my Def Leppard phase--Union Jack t-shirt a la Joe Elliott and ripped jeans. I hung out with the stoners because they were a lot smarter than they let on and accepted me as a non-stoner metalhead.

Much of that fashion sense followed me through college, though I went through a Josephine Baker/androgynous phase as well.

Being nearly six feet, it took me a long time to wear any heel over three inches. With wedge heels back in vogue, I'm back to rocking my boho Victorian look. Found a cute pair that are five inch heels and they're sooo comfortable!

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 115 comments There's a company that makes these absolutely killer Steampunk boots that I have been fiending over. They're totally Victorian but are embellished with all sorts of gears and stuff. I really want those boots! I have an Edwardian tea dress that would look smashing with them.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow six feet huh? Wish I had that type of height :p

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 115 comments As a kid, I hated it. I was pretty awkward. And that myth about black people having "natural" rhythm? Uh, couldn't dance if my life depended on it *grin*.

message 13: by June (new)

June Collins (junecollins) | 2 comments TheFountainPenDiva wrote: "As a kid, I hated it. I was pretty awkward. And that myth about black people having "natural" rhythm? Uh, couldn't dance if my life depended on it *grin*."

Other peoples expectations! I'm an aussie (Australian) but I don't end every sentence with "Right, mate" and I don't have a pet kangaroo...I will throw a shrimp (or a steak) on the Barbie though. LOL.

message 14: by June (new)

June Collins (junecollins) | 2 comments TheFountainPenDiva wrote: "There's a company that makes these absolutely killer Steampunk boots that I have been fiending over. They're totally Victorian but are embellished with all sorts of gears and stuff. I really want t..."

LOVE any Edwardian look.