Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Florence Nightingale

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan | 7 comments I'm currently on a Florence Nightingale kick and am having some trouble finding more books about her. I just finished In the Shadow of the Lamp, which I thought was all right, but the focus wasn't on Florence. I'm hoping to read The Twelve Rooms of the Nile next, but that's not totally in my target range either, since it's not set during the Crimean War. A Winter on the Nile is almost the same thing, but I'd read it anyway (that is, if my local library system carried it), because I'm a little desperate. Novels about Florence's work during the Crimean War are what I'm really looking for, preferably with Florence as the protagonist. If anyone can recommend something, I'd greatly appreciate it.

message 2: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Reilly | 161 comments Megan wrote: "I'm currently on a Florence Nightingale kick and am having some trouble finding more books about her. I just finished In the Shadow of the Lamp, which I thought was all right, but the focus wasn't ..."

I recently got a biography of her by Cecil Woodham Smith at a car boot sale. As it was published in 1950 I thought it would be interesting to see what biographical writing of that period was like. I haven't started it yet but I imagine it will be different in approach from any that a present day biographer would take.