9C 2013-14 discussion

What has your experience with reading been like?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liemberger (new)

Liemberger | 5 comments Mod
In 8-10 sentences, explain how you view reading and why you feel this way. Some questions you might want to consider when constructing your response are:

What books have I enjoyed reading and why?
What books have I not enjoyed reading and why?
Do you read on a regular basis even when you don't have to for school?
Do you think it is important to read on a regular basis?

message 2: by Erin (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:11AM) (new)

Erin K | 1 comments Over the past years i became more of an independent reader.I haven't always like to read nor choose to read books on my free time. But as I matured reading became more enjoyable for me. I usually like to read books that are dramatic, or romantic. my favorite book is safe haven because it is a good love story but also very dramatic and nerve wracking. I think its important to read on a daily basis because it not only improves in your knowledge but it also gives you a much wider vocabulary.i personally don't like to read but sometimes when i have nothing else to do i will. I try to read books that keep my attention which is hard because i have a short attention span. I don't like books about history i find it to be very boring except when the topic is about the Holocaust.Besides love stories,stories about the Holocaust keep my attention.

message 3: by Alena (last edited Sep 06, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

Alena C. | 5 comments To me reading is very important and it can be very fun and contain well life lessons that can be use. Books that I have enjoyed reading are books by Lisa Schroeder. I like her books because they are poetic and and romantic. The book that I really like is "I Haunt You, You Haunt Me." This book is about a girl who's boyfriend, Jackson, died in a car accident and he comes back in a ghost form and just so he can make her feel happy,calm and to tell her he really loves her and to tell her to move on and its okay. I'm not really into historical book, so far and Night is my least favorite book because it is boring and not interesting. To me historical books are not interesting because it can really happen. I love to read for fun and mostly on my free time. Yes I do think reading on a regular basis is important i read at least two books a week in the summer, but during school about one a week.

message 4: by Sha'qur (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:04AM) (new)

Sha'qur | 1 comments Ever since I've been reading I really only like one book, and that is "The Hunger Games". I liked it because it was competitive. I didn't like the giver. It was too long. No i don't read on a regular basis. Reading isn't my best topic. No I don't think its important.

message 5: by Raeanaw (new)

Raeanaw | 3 comments i really don't like reading. i don't like reading because i get bored with things easily. So, when im supposed to be reading i'll get bored i'll get on my phone instead.i dont read on a regular basis because i can never focus. i dont think its important to read on a regular basis. But, if you give me a book to read ill will be open to try it

message 6: by Haneeah (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:03AM) (new)

Haneeah R. | 2 comments Some books that I enjoy reading is Malcolm X Autobiography I enjoy Reading It because it was interesting and exciting.Another book is The Year Of The Crackhead Mom.I do not enjoyed books that are long.I also dislike enjoy books that are not interesting.I do not read outside of school.I Do not read outside of school because I don't think it's that important.Reading can be fun for others but sometimes I feel it's a waste of time.Sometimes you need to know how to read.For example,you need to know how to read for the P.S.S.A.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 1 comments I believe reading is good for you but I really don't like reading because I get bored fast. I have enjoyed some of the Bluford High books. I've enjoyed them because they can get you thinking and you will understand what the book is talking about. I don't enjoy books that skip ahead. What I mean by that is like when a book is in a certain month then be like 5 months later; because it gets confusing.

message 8: by David (last edited Sep 06, 2013 10:08AM) (new)

David L | 4 comments i enjoy reading when its a horror or sports book because i can get in to it and not get bored.
i enjoyed reading 13 reasons why because it was suspenseful.i do not read on a regular basis because its hard to find books that im actually interested in.
i think it is somewhat important it keeps your brain active.my experience with reading has been ok based on the books i have read. only some books i have read actually were intresting. alot of books have nit intrested me at all.

message 9: by Ariyana (new)

Ariyana | 3 comments I enjoyed reading The Skin I'm In. I liked it because I could really relate to the main character and how she felt. All the books I read I enjoyed, but I don't read on a regular basis. Sometimes I read, but not often. I do think it's important to read though, but reading isn't that assuming to me.

message 10: by Dynasha (new)

Dynasha T. | 5 comments Reading is fundamental even if sometimes you don't like to read you always need to in order to know what you have to do in most cases. We may not read a book everyday but everyday we do read. When reading you sometimes can find out things you never knew. It expands your brain and open of doors you would of never thought of. I have enjoyed reading Homeless Bird, Walk two Moons, All Quiet on the Western Front, and many other books. I have not enjoyed reading A Single Shard, Walk to water, and its probably more but I can't really remember. If a book is not enjoyable I would not like reading and if its not mandatory I will not read it. Reading is not my favorite but I don't hate it I usually ready for school, but sometimes I will read on my own. I do think you should sometimes read, but i don't think you have to read everyday.

message 11: by Danielle (new)

Danielle D | 4 comments I really enjoy reading because I can take a break from reality and read what I enjoy. I feel this way towards reading because I always try my best to find enough time to read because it makes my brain work and I also like reading books about life situations that could relate to my situations in life itself. For example, go ask alice was a very good book with an abundance of lessons about treating yourself with care and not doing drugs.

message 12: by Alexis (last edited Sep 11, 2013 09:59PM) (new)

Alexis G | 5 comments I like reading, but only certain books. They have to be books that grab my attention and are interesting. The books that are the most interesting to me are fantasy, biography and horror. Books that are most relatable to me are self help like looking for Alaska, and go ask Alice. Another book that i like was 5 people you meet in heaven, because it seemed realistic the way it was written. I would enjoy reading a lot more if there were more books relatable to me and that i feel like i could put myself in that persons situation. For example, books that i have had in past summer readings were badly written, confusing, annoying, and over all just boring.

message 13: by Sita (last edited Sep 12, 2013 05:11PM) (new)

Sita S | 5 comments I don't see reading as a bad thing because in the past all my English teachers have picked great books for the class to read. I'm more of a person who takes people recommendations because when I usually pick books on my own they're usually boring. I like a variety of book genres so I don't really care what type of book it is just so long as it is interesting. I don't read in my free time I only read when I'm assigned to. My favorite book is "A child called it", it's about Dave's experience as a young boy being Physically, mentally abused and starved by his mother while his brothers and his dad stood back and watched. I like reading this book because it's a book I can sympathize with. I don't think you should read on a regular basis maybe reading atleast 2 books a year is good enough.

message 14: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Hernandez | 2 comments I have enjoyed reading Holes because it has a great rising action. I don't enjoy reading non-fiction especially Lewis and Clark Expedition. No i do not read at regular basis. I do think so you can get better at reading your reading level.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex Rondon | 1 comments To me reading is very important. I believe it's important because it helps you build your vocabulary. I like to read books that make it easy to create mental images. One of my favorite books I have read is The Giver. I like The Giver because after every page it kept me thinking what's going to happen next. My least favorite kind of books are biography's and historical books.

message 16: by Naeem (new)

Naeem S | 3 comments To be completely honest, I'm not much of a reader. I've only read books that have been assigned by a teacher and none have really caught my attention.

message 17: by Naeem (new)

Naeem S | 3 comments One book that I read was a good book though. It was called 'Football Nightmare'. It was a 'goodread' because, football is my favorite sport and I could really connect with the book and get into it. I rarely read on a daily basis unless for school or told so. I do believe its important to read on a daily basis I just don't. Its been a while since I read a 'Football Nightmare' and that was the only gokd book I read so after that I kind of lost interest in reading period. That has been my experience reading books pretty much.

message 18: by Victor (last edited Sep 08, 2013 10:55AM) (new)

Victor K | 5 comments I ocassionally enjoy reading books, but most of the time I read when I am told to wheter I am in school or out of school. I rarely read books because they didn't intrigue me as much as it does now. The books I enjoy reading are the books that consist of action and adventure. For example "War Heroes: Voices from Iraq" is a book told by veterans in the conflict that happened in Iraq. They give readers a feel of what it was like to be over seas in Iraq. The books i have not enjoyed reading are books with a very long series such as the Harry Potter literary series. I did not enjoy those books because it was too much for me to grasp and enjoy. I do beleive it is important to read on a daily basis, it helps expand your vocabulary and your own opinion about things and books.

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve B.. | 3 comments Reading is important to me, because without reading we would have little knowledge. I cant say I read all the time, but when I do I enjoy the book. Reading increases many things, like knowledge, and it helps you get a better imagination. Unlike movies books don't always show you things as the author makes them out to be, you must imagine them yourself. I don't like to admit this but, I used to only read when I was told to. Until last year I basically hated reading until I read "Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Cases". I enjoyed the mysteries, and the brilliance of Sir Author Conan Doyle. reading is now something I enjoy. occasionally I will just read when I am bored now. I guess reading has influenced me in was. such as making me a better speaker and things of that nature.

message 20: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Gonzalez | 5 comments I used to like reading as a child but then as I grew I started to get bored of it. I don't like reading on my own unless I've heard really good reviews from friends that have the same taste in genre as I do in books. I have however liked the books that my teachers have assigned me in the past 3 years. Just starting to read the books weren't easy for me cause I already have a difficult time reading and also I didn't have a choice to read it anyway but as soon as I got to the middle of each book I realized just how much I started to find an interest in them. A book I enjoyed reading would have to be Thirteen Reasons Why because it definitely makes me feel as if I am actually in the story and I could feel the emotion in every word written. When I was in the 6th grade, my guided reading book was Word Eater. I didn't like it at all! I didn't understand any of it, I'm not sure if it was because I just wasn't paying much attention to the details of the book or if I just genuinely didn't like it but it didn't make any sense to me. I think reading is super important but I don't believe it has to be done on a regular basis.

message 21: by Bernard (new)

Bernard C | 1 comments In the past I didn't like to read not even a little bit. My mom had force me to read many books when I was young because of how much I didn't like to read. But the more my mom did, the more I have like reading and when those happen I realized how important reading is. You have to read many things during the day like the street signs, stores, texting, and when we are on Facebook. The book that I have like the most was “Call it Courage” by Armstrong Sperry and the reason I like this book is because I can really relate to the main character Mafatu. I also like this book because of the way he had stood up and prove that the people had made fun of him, just because he was the only one that was afraid of the water from the chief and father. The book that I had hated the most out of the books I have read is night because of the confusing time changes and how little he did anything but what could you have done at that time accept did what he did.

message 22: by Sal (new)

Sal E | 3 comments For me, the books that i love reading are mostly sports books. Sports books keep me entertained instead of bored. I really don't enjoy reading biography books because they just don't keep interested all the time. Outside of school, I don't really read because i have practice for sports and when i get home im too tired, but in school i read everyday. It's very important to read on an everyday basis because you learn more and more every time read a book.

message 23: by Anthony (last edited Sep 12, 2013 05:02PM) (new)

Anthony V | 2 comments I view reading as one of the most important things , but I don't really enjoy it as much as I do with other subjects. I'd rather watch a movie version of a book than to read it .I feel this way because it gets really boring after a while. The books I've enjoyed reading is How to Eat Fried Worms and Diary Of A Wimpy Kid because they both have a well-written story. Usually I would enjoy a book with a nice story line . The books I've not enjoyed reading is A Shore Thing and Twilight because there's too many things going on . No , I don't read on a regular basis . I think it's somewhat important to read , but not on a regular basis.

message 24: by Romeo (last edited Sep 12, 2013 06:25PM) (new)

Romeo O | 4 comments I do really like reading books. The only time I really read a book in the summer when it's assigned for summer reading, or when a teacher assigned it to the class. I don't like reading because it's boring to me but still important in life and school, I don't like it cause some books were just not interesting to me. I do have a few books I do enjoy like "Monster,13 Reasons Why, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, and Friday Night Lights". I like all of these books because it had action and suspense. All these books kept you wanting to know what happens next. But my favorite one is "Friday Night Lights" not just because it's my favorite movie and it's about my favorite sport but because it is real and is based on a true story. It didn't have a happy ending because in football you win some you lose some, in other football books most of the teams always wins the championship which don't always happen. Books I don't like are "Night, and Speak" I don't like these kind of books because it's boring and depressing mostly the whole book.It has some suspense in these book but most of the whole time the main character is sad.