9D 2013-14 discussion

What has your experience with reading been like?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liemberger (new)

Liemberger | 5 comments Mod
In 8-10 sentences, explain how you view reading and why you feel this way. Some questions you might want to consider when constructing your response are:

What books have I enjoyed reading and why?
What books have I not enjoyed reading and why?
Do you read on a regular basis even when you don't have to for school?
Do you think it is important to read on a regular basis?

message 2: by Dominique (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:06AM) (new)

Dominique M | 6 comments I have enjoyed reading The Last Song and A Walk To Remember because I like both of these books a lot and I always watch the movies. I have not enjoyed reading Night and The Clay Marble because I didn't like the topic of Night and I thought that it was confusing. The Clay Marble I read a few years ago in school and I thought that it was boring. I don't really read on a regular basis but I do think that it's important and I should start to read more but I just never have enough time.

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Sophia P. | 8 comments I have enjoyed reading The 5 people you meet in Heaven and 13 Reasons Why because they were both very detailed and had a great plot to them. I do not enjoy reading Night and Twilight because they were very confusing with all the different settings and characters. No, I do not read on a regular basis. Yes, I think it is very important to read on a regular basis because I can learn new things.

message 4: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy G | 2 comments Some books that I've enjoyed reading are the graveyard book & charlie st. cloud because both of them books were entertaining to me and not boring. The books kept my attention and I didn't want to stop reading. Some books I didn't enjoy reading are to kill a mocking bird & the absolutely true diary of a part-time Indian because both of them books were confusing and boring. I rarely read on a regular basis when i don't have school because I usually don't like to read to much. I think it is important to read on a regular basis because its good for your brain but I never find the time to read books outside of school.

message 5: by Alexa (new)

Alexa L. | 1 comments Alexa L. Some books that I've enjoyed reading are The Hunger Games because it has a lot of action in it and Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption because it has a lot of drama and suspense in it. Some books that I have not enjoyed reading are Night, The Devil's Arithmetic, and Number the Stars because I don't like books about the holocaust or wars. I read a lot, and I like to read, as long as I have a good book. It is important to read on a regular basis because it expands your mind and makes you smarter.

message 6: by Taylor (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:12AM) (new)

Taylor P | 5 comments I have enjoyed reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Thirteen Reasons Why. I enjoyed these books because I can really connect to the books and the characters. I have not enjoyed reading The Twilight books because they are really long and I could not connect to the characters and I thought was boring. I do not read often but I think it is important and I should start to read more often.

message 7: by Norrasia (new)

Norrasia B. | 5 comments To me reading is something that i enjoy on some days. Most of the times I read for school assignments or to exercise my brain .One book that I have read and really enjoyed was the Hunger Games. I enjoyed this book because it was very descriptive and attention grabbing. I did not enjoy the book Night due to the mood and time period. The overall book Night was very sad and depressing.I do read on a regular basis do to my parents believing it is a good brain exercise. It is very important to read daily because it will allow you to become more educated and aware of new words.

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc M | 1 comments I have read a few books last year my favorite one that I read was AL Capone does my shirts. I really didn't read books a lot until I read that book when my teachers saw me reading the book they was like "
wow Marc your really reading a book for the first time this year". Ill be honest when I'm not in school I really don't read books a lot for some reason. I think its important to read on a regular basis because it helps you to spell new words and make you read better. But I don't read on a regular basis because i really don't like reading but i should be reading everyday to help me with my reading. I still enjoy books from when i was little like cat in the hat, green eggs and ham, etc. The books i had to read over the summer I liked a lot because I got to read about the holocross. The book I enjoyed the most reading is the Al Capone book I liked it because he was a mobster an i got to read about his life an stuff. This year I'm going to try an read like three books during the school year that is one more then i read last school year.

message 9: by Tyrell (last edited Sep 09, 2013 10:07AM) (new)

Tyrell M. | 1 comments i read and enjoyed Night & A basketball book. I enjoyed reading night the most because it helped me learn about the holocaust & how they were treated. I also enjoyed reading the basketball book because he helped me learn about the legends of basketball & what records were broken. 2 books i have not enjoyed reading were twilight & Harry Potter. Twilight was very long & seem like it wouldn't end & Harry Potter was very boring from the beginning. I read sometimes when i dont have school when i am bored in the house. I read books from my home or i go to the library. It is very important to read on a regular basis so you can get smarter.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren A | 3 comments i have enjoyed reading sun of the mob because i liked the topic of this book and think it was enjoyable to read. i did not enjoy night because i didnt think it was insterting. and i dont usually read when im not in school, but i think it is important to read on a regular basis

message 11: by Nashya (last edited Sep 09, 2013 10:04AM) (new)

Nashya S. | 2 comments My view on reading is that its a very important thing life because you might come across words in life that you will need to learn how to read. I have enjoyed reading " The Outsiders" because it was very intersting book to read. But i havent enjoyed reading Anne Franks because it wasnt enjoyable book but i did enjoy watching the movie. No i dont read on a daily basic a less a book is intersting. But i do think its important to read on a regular basis because it get kids more better with bigger words.

message 12: by Courtney (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Courtney | 6 comments I like reading because it fuels my brain. A few books I have read were very confusing and it was hard to keep track on what was happening. I do read on a regular basis because I find books that I know I will enjoy or I read books that others suggest. I think it is important to read on a regular basis because it allows you to become smarter because it feeds your brain and makes learning easier. I mostly read funny and mysterious books. I have enjoyed the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan and the Heroes of Olympus. Fantasy and Fiction books are also my favorite.

message 13: by Scott (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:55AM) (new)

Scott P. | 5 comments One book that i enjoyed reading was "A CHILD CALLED IT". I enjoyed reading a child called it because it shows how a young child was abused by his own mother. I also loved this book because things like that can happen in real life. One book that i didn't enjoy was harry potter because it felt like it was never going to end. It felt like it was to much going on. When im not at school i read sometimes, it depends on if i really like the book or i have to read it for school. It is good to read on a regular basis because when you read you are exercising your brain. Reading can make your brain smarter and stronger. That is why its good to read on a regular basis.

message 14: by Larry (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:58AM) (new)

Larry S | 1 comments The books I have enjoyed reading was Monster and The Hunger Games. I've enjoyed reading those two books because they were entertaining to me. The books I have not enjoyed was Romeo and Juliet and Twilight. I didn't enjoy them because Twilight it was boring to me and the plot didn't make sense to me. I didn't enjoy Romeo and Juliet because it was a poem and it was about a love story and I don't like those type of stories. No I don't read on a regular basis when I don't have to for school.It's important to read on a regular basis because it improves the way you read.Also it works your brain and make learning easier.

message 15: by Taylor Y (new)

Taylor Y | 2 comments I view reading as a brain exercise . I feel this way because there are different lengths of book just like there are different pounds for weights and when we read longer books are brains gets smarter, just like when we lift heavier weights we make our muscles stronger. I have read the child called it series . I enjoy reading it because it held my attention and it was a true story . The child called it was about child abuse and i have never been abused or known anyone who has been but i like this book because at one point i was into psychology. I don't read on a regular basis. I'm a picky reader. I think its important to read everyday cause say u read all school year then all summer u don't you basically made your brain strong just to let it go weak. There is no point.

message 16: by Datwont (last edited Sep 09, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Datwont | 1 comments i feel as though reading helps you exercise your brain and make you think more. i like to read books i can relate to , i can makes pictures in my head of what the plot look like i like to feel the book. i have not enjoyed books that are boring also books that have no meaning to them. i like books that could teach you a real life lesson something i can learn from. i read books on the regular if i find ones that interest me and gets me wonder whats going to happen next. yes i think its important to read on the regular its keeps your brain thinking i read whenever i have free time.

message 17: by Hope (last edited Sep 09, 2013 10:05AM) (new)

Hope C. | 2 comments I have enjoyed reading quite a few books like Night,Beautiful Creatures, Marked, and Because of Winn-Dixie.I very much enjoyed these books because I like to read and it doesn't take TO MUCH to get my attention. I like to read, as I said but there is a lot of books I had to read for school that I didn't enjoy much.Some I didn't enjoy were books that held to much information and to much to remember. I like to read so much that I actually do read on my own time whether it be a magazine or book Ive been enjoying.I think that it is very important to read not only because it helps with a persons vocabulary but people can learn a lot from books. You can read a good history or science book and know a few more things when you go to class the next day. People should read all the time to learn more and extend their imagination.

message 18: by Sophia (new)

Sophia P. | 8 comments Dominique wrote: "I have enjoyed reading The Last Song and A Walk To Remember because I like both of these books a lot and I always watch the movies. I have not enjoyed reading Night and The Clay Marble because I di..." Wow Dom, The Last Song is a very good and detailed book. The movie was also great.

message 19: by Dominique (new)

Dominique M | 6 comments Sophia-rose wrote: "I have enjoyed reading The 5 people you meet in Heaven and 13 Reasons Why because they were both very detailed and had a great plot to them. I do not enjoy reading Night and Twilight because they w..."
Soph that was a beautiful paragraph, I completely agree with your reading choices and opinons, go girl.

message 20: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 6 comments Alexa wrote: "Alexa L. Some books that I've enjoyed reading are The Hunger Games because it has a lot of action in it and Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption because it has a lot of drama and suspense in ..."
I liked the Hunger Games, too. It was really interesting.

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Sophia P. | 8 comments Marc wrote: "I have read a few books last year my favorite one that I read was AL Capone does my shirts. I really didn't read books a lot until I read that book when my teachers saw me reading the book they was..." I really liked that book, I read it in the 6th grade.

message 22: by Taylor Y (new)

Taylor Y | 2 comments Dominique wrote: "I have enjoyed reading The Last Song and A Walk To Remember because I like both of these books a lot and I always watch the movies. I have not enjoyed reading Night and The Clay Marble because I di..."
a walk to remember is one of my favorite books. very interesting paragraph. i would say i like the book last song but i only read 5 pages so guess that's why i got a b-

message 23: by Dajhe (new)

Dajhe P. | 4 comments I have several books that I enjoy reading. But my favorite books; like ones i actually enjoy reading are all apart of the Bluford High Series. One book from The Bluford High Series that I can read over and over again is called " The Test ". The Test is my favorite book because its about teenagers , going to Bluford High School and it tells about the good things and bad things that comes along with being a teen and attending high school . I also enjoy this book because I love the whole idea and cause of the book. I also love the theme and the plot of the passage. I enjoy reading plenty of books but they have to be interesting and I could tell by the little summary on the back of the book!! I will not read a book if i dislike the summary on the back. But otherwise I love to read !!!

message 24: by Yiana (new)

Yiana S | 4 comments I have enjoyed reading several books, but "Night" and "Thirteen Reasons Why" were my favorite because they were both mysterious ,very detailed and I could relate to the characters. I have not enjoyed reading "The Giver" because it wasn't interesting to me, it was boring. I don't read on a regular basis, I read whenever I have time. I do think its important to read on a regular basis.

message 25: by Pity (last edited Sep 10, 2013 02:58PM) (new)

Pity Inthavong | 2 comments I think that reading makes your vocabulary grow and you become smarter. I enjoyed Flowers for Algernon because it was a story about 2 different but similar characters that had brain functions. I also liked a book about Michael Jordan and how he got taller as a kid. I really dont read much but only if I think its interesting. I think reading is important though.

message 26: by Moleena (last edited Sep 09, 2013 01:36PM) (new)

Moleena H | 4 comments To me reading is something that's really important because it can really help you with your vocabulary and you can learn lots of new things. I personally am not someone who likes reading, I lose interest in books really quickly. A few genres that I like to read are, suspense, horror and humor. A couple books that I have enjoyed reading were Down A Dark Hall and Thirteen Reasons Why. I've enjoyed reading these books because they were suspenseful, they made me really wonder what was going to happen next. I was also able to create a mental image of what was going on, in both of these books. Some genres that I do not like to read are non-fiction books and biography's. A book that I have not enjoyed reading was Lord Of The Flies because I did not take an interest in it's plot. I don't usually read on a regular basis but I do think it is important to.

message 27: by Ibn-tahira (last edited Sep 09, 2013 01:44PM) (new)

Ibn-tahira | 2 comments Two book I enjoyed reading are Journey to the center of the Earth and Flowers for Algernon. I enjoyed Journey to the center of the Earth because it was full of suspense and you never new what was going to happen next. I enjoyed Flower for Algernon

message 28: by Khadijak (new)

Khadijak | 4 comments My overall experience with reading was for the most part good.Books I've enjoyed was Out of My Mind by Sharon M.Draper, The story of Three Significant girls, etc. I've enjoyed these books because they are uplifting books that also seem realistic. Some books that I haven't enjoyed are books like Bitten by Pamela Nagami , although this book is very realistic it wasn't a book of my interest. I used to read on a regular basis and that was because of school. Every semester there was a certain target we were supposed to meet while reading. That's what pushed me to reading, but besides that I don't read much. I do believe it is important to read on a regular basis and that it does help with vocab itself.