South Shore Readers discussion

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry, #1)
Book Clubs- Past > Discussion: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 28, 2013 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 1106 comments Mod
Our September book is the novel "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce.

We will be meeting in person in Hingham on Sunday September 29th. Please RSVP on the event if you plan to attend. Event: http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/9...

You can also participate in an online discussion here in this topic.

Denise (ribeachgirl) | 127 comments This is a book in which nothing much happens. This book is (I think) a Job allegory, but instead of having faith in God, it focuses on having faith in love and in humanity. This book is endorsed by Oprah magazine. EFFING OPRAH MAGAZINE.

In short, this book is everything I generally hate.

I loved it. I read it basically straight through in one day (with a break during a layover in Dallas). Reading it straight through meant I didn't have time to consider the foreshadowing. I think some of you will easily see what I didn't. I'm not going to give anything away here. I just thought I'd share.

Glad to hear that you liked it, Denise. I haven't gotten it from the library yet.

Here's a link to the author's website, which includes some videos, reviews etc. about this book.
http://www.racheljoycebooks.com/

I started the book this morning. I am enjoying it thus far.

Vibe-wise, It is reminding me of one of those charming British films like Billy Elliott, Waking Ned Devine, Greenfingers, Saving Grace etc.

Lynn | 131 comments I loved this book. The focus is Harold's journey but I also enjoyed his wife's unexpected journey of her own and how it leads them back to each other.

I think we should all wear boat shoes to the meeting on Sunday. :D

Joanie | 492 comments Mod
Weather for Sunday looks great for sitting outside and having sangria!

message 8: by Jessica (last edited Sep 26, 2013 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Then I will be there with my Pilgrim t-shirt on to watch you drink sangria.

BTW-- i shouldn't have posted about boat shoes. Now all my google ads everywhere are showing sperry and other similar ads.

Joanie | 492 comments Mod
Jack has football until 1:00 so I'll be there about 15 min late.

Funny about the Sperrys-Harold was much more fashionable than he knew!