2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Julia: 30 books in 2013

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Julia (new)

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I've only read two books by John Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath (forced to read and didn't like it) and The Red Pony which is surprisingly alright for a small book by him. Have you read any other books by Steinbeck?

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) My absolute favorite of his is Of Mice and Men. The friendship of Lennie and George is one of the most poignant relationships in all of literature, imho.

Several films have been made of this novella, but my favorite is the 1981 version with Robert Blake as George and Randy Quaid as Lennie.

The Pearl is another good novella by Steinbeck; I think, for me, his shorter works are more powerful than the novels. I loved The Red Pony as well.

message 5: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments Adriana wrote: "I've only read two books by John Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath (forced to read and didn't like it) and The Red Pony which is surprisingly alright for a small book by him. Have you read any other b..."

Welcome, Julia!

Adriana, my suggested Steinbeck is East of Eden, which is one of my all-time favorites. I too really liked The Pearl, though it's a downer. Haven't read Red Pony yet...I'll add it to my TBR list!

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Thanks Julia and Kaitlin! Of Mice and Men I think is the one that I recognize the most other than Grapes of Wrath. I should give it a try. I don't see how The Pearl can be a downer which worries me... East of Eden sounds insane. I like it (:
Are his only settings farms??

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliastrimer) The Pearl is set in Mexico--more like a fable. Wikipedia says:

"The Pearl is a novella by American author John Steinbeck, published in 1947. It is the story of a pearl diver, Kino, and explores man's nature as well as greed and evil. Steinbeck's inspiration was a Mexican folk tale from La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico, which he had heard in a visit to the formerly pearl-rich region in 1940.[1] In 1947, it was adapted into a Mexican film named La perla. The story is one of Steinbeck's most popular books and has been widely used in high school classes."

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments i loved The Pearl when i first read it!