Janet Evanovich Book Group discussion

Stephanie Plum Series > Takedown Twenty!

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 222 comments Mod
On sale November 19th. Here's an excerpt to tide you over:
http://www.evanovich.com/2013/08/read...

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 53 comments I just can't wait!!!!! Especially for Morelli.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Twenty books in the series...impressive. Can't wait to laugh.

message 4: by Alison (new)

Alison (duckula) Thanks for the link, just read Chapter 1, a great start to my day! Can't wait to read the rest....

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 53 comments If the rest of the book is as funny as what I have read so far, I can't wait.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments I have just completed my hold request for this book with my county library system. I was really surprised that I could place a hold 2 months before release.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (veiland) | 6 comments I refuse to get excited. The giraffe is ridiculous. Going after a Mob Boss? Jeez. And the last time I got excited by Steph/Ranger banter, I ended up with Vordo, i.e. the only step between Steph and Lula was money.

Not excited. returning to fanfic. FanFiction is MUCH better.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Soon soon soon! Working side by side with Ranger and Grandma? This book is going to be hilarious.
Did ya'll get the latest newsletter in the mail? There's a Takedown Twenty event in Sacramento I'm thinking about driving up to.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments I am #56 on the reserve list at my library. I can't wait!!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Anita wrote: "I am #56 on the reserve list at my library. I can't wait!!"

WOO HOOO!!

message 11: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (tvaddictedbookworm) I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this book is really terrible. In fact, I think it's the last one I'm going to read. But you can read it and judge for yourself.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments Sheri wrote: "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this book is really terrible. In fact, I think it's the last one I'm going to read. But you can read it and judge for yourself."

If that is the case and I don't doubt that it is, than Janet Evanovich needs to bite the bullet and end the series. Choose Ranger or Joe and decide what Stephanie will do when she finally grows up.

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark Birchall (goodreadscomgabbi) | 8 comments Just finished eleven on top and was disappointed in comparison with the earlier stuff . Far to many contrived slapstick moments not enough thriller element.

message 14: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (tvaddictedbookworm) Sheri wrote: "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this book is really terrible. In fact, I think it's the last one I'm going to read. But you can read it and judge for yourself."

Anita, I totally agree with you. I wonder if she has someone else writing her books for her, similiar to what James Patterson does.

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments Janet Evanovich has such a rare talent for blending humor, romance and a little suspense. I hope that she is still writing her own stuff. There is simply no one who does it better.

message 16: by April (last edited Nov 24, 2013 10:20PM) (new)

April | 2 comments I'll start reading this one next week. I have no expectations at this point, will see what happens.

message 17: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 4 comments I love this book and I can not put it down. Stephanie and ranger are making me hot and but then Morelli is hot also. But which one does Stephanie pick. Must read more and I will find out.

message 18: by Tracy A (new)

Tracy A (tracypixel) | 9 comments I haven't gotten it. Waiting to find it cheaper. sadly no library ever I am and even the ebook costs almost R300!

can't wait to read it though. But do agree that the books at becoming a bit predictable.

message 19: by Ange (new)

Ange Costantino (ange0806) | 1 comments i actually listen to the audiobook, had that on reserved at the library. i listen to it in one work day. couldn't pause it at all. The mixture of Humor, Romance and suspense, is great.. i'm sad i finished it already but i can alway read the book now

message 20: by April (new)

April | 2 comments Started reading this yesterday. It's okay so far. Not as funny as the first few, but still a nice easy read. Like I said before, no expectations.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Not finished yet but this Lula quote about Ranger from page 56 still has me giggling. "That man is so hot I could butter him up and eat him like a ear of sweet corn."

message 22: by Nicole (new)

This book is cracking me up!

message 23: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Drake | 5 comments 6 copies of Takedown 20 at my local public library, all taken out of course, and I'm still on the waiting list for 1 of them. Must be very popular!? I have all the #'s thru Notorious Ninteen in my private library collection. Had about 50-50 PB's & HB's, then this past Saturday, found 6 more of the hardbacks at the New Cumberland Library's twice a month used book sale. I prefer to have HB's in my collection, and will replace the paperbacks when I find them. I know, I know, it seems that most people want PB's. My mother used to carry around the old paper grocery bags full of romance novels whenever we went to the Cape May or Wildwood beach when I was young. I realized that it was easier for her that way to carry greater numbers of the books at one time. Also, I'm not an eBook kinda guy, so you'll never catch me buying or reading from someone else's electronic book pad thingie.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Gregory wrote: "6 copies of Takedown 20 at my local public library, all taken out of course, and I'm still on the waiting list for 1 of them. Must be very popular!? I have all the #'s thru Notorious Ninteen in my ..."

Nice collection! I have most of the Plum series in hardback as well. It's the only hardback series I've kept as I've moved back and forth across the US. I'm not really an ebook kinda person either. I did just get an iPad Air so I've been curious about trying an ebook. Alas I'm currently reading a hardback copy of Me Before You by J. Moyes. I can't put it down!

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1 comments I reluctantly joined the eboom world and was surprised that I really like it. I still get all the Plums in paperback eventually but I get them initially on my kindle.

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments I placed my library hold in September and just got notice it is in. On my way now.

message 27: by Kriss (new)

Kriss | 3 comments Victoria wrote: "I refuse to get excited. The giraffe is ridiculous. Going after a Mob Boss? Jeez. And the last time I got excited by Steph/Ranger banter, I ended up with Vordo, i.e. the only step between Steph and..."

Absolutely agree! I got excited, and was left with a meh feeling. It was funny, but not as funny as usual, the story line a bit fuzzy on the side and I was missing Ranger!!! FanFiction much better for me. At least the writers there agree with me and put in more Ranger :)))

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 5 comments I kinda liked this one. I mean there was a brief second where I was getting tired of the series but then I thought to myself "really? We all know what we are getting with her books. Why be so serious and negative?" So it was cool. Not spectacular. But honestly I didn't expect spectacular. Oh and I may cause a fight with this but....ranger is starting to give the creep vibe. With the 3 trackers and the "babe"...hang up. That would drive me crazy. :/

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments Victoria, Kriss and Jessica all have this one right on (except for Jessica's creepy Ranger vibe). Takedown Twenty was not a good as the other 19, but, it is better than almost anything else and still a very entertaining book. We all are expecting way to much. I think Ranger will eventually be the one Stephanie chooses. I am definitely Team Ranger. What is FanFiction?

message 30: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 1 comments Oh Anita, Fanfiction with where all your Ranger dreams can come true. Try fanfiction.net (search under Books, then Janet Evanovich, then filter for preferred characters-like Ranger and Stephanie).

message 31: by Toni (new)

Toni Cooper | 1 comments Anita wrote: "Victoria, Kriss and Jessica all have this one right on (except for Jessica's creepy Ranger vibe). Takedown Twenty was not a good as the other 19, but, it is better than almost anything else and st..."

I finished the book last week & was not impressed. It is definitely lacking from the beginning books. I'm still not sure what the giraffe had to do with anything. Either Evanovich needs to step it back up or end the series.

message 32: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments Takedown Twenty did not have near the level of humor as past books. That was always the element I loved about the books. It also was a bust for romance. The only element that remotely worked was plot and even that was very thin. The giraffe (view spoiler)

message 33: by Nicole (new)

This book reminded me of an old discussion thread we had on the movie/show. I can't help but think this series would make an amazing TV show!

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments The central plot of all the books, not quite all together NJ bond apprehension heroine with a love triangle and two heros - yea, it would make a great TV show. Much better than a lot out there now.

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Anita wrote: "The central plot of all the books, not quite all together NJ bond apprehension heroine with a love triangle and two heros - yea, it would make a great TV show. Much better than a lot out there now."

Wouldn't it? With Lula and Grandma! Sure to clean up at the Emmys.

message 36: by Dorrie (new)

Dorrie Kaetzel (Dorrie61) | 3 comments I said that a few posts ago also. It didn't make a good movie because the books are longer than a movie can do. But I also think it would make a good series, but it's hard to think who would play the parts...

message 37: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments If you take a really good book and try to make it a movie, it just doesn't work because they end up cutting to much. Who would you cast right now? That is a good question and will be debated endlessly because the ideal was always Sandra Bullock and the Rock.

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim Thompson The only role I would recast is Morelli.

message 39: by Dorrie (new)

Dorrie Kaetzel (Dorrie61) | 3 comments Yeah Daniel Sunjata is hot..Kathyrn Heigl was ok, but her accent kept going back and forth. I can't think of who to put as Morelli out of the actors that are out there..

message 40: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 53 comments Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum #20) by Janet Evanovich Just started in paperback

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (ebab) | 53 comments Stephanie Plum, bonds bounty hunter is after Sunny Sunucchi, or "Uncle Sunny" and also Morelli's real Godfather. Uncle Sunny is wanted for running over a guy twice, murdering him. Salvatore is known for his mobster heaviness. But, family is family, no matter how notorious or criminal they are. And Grandma Bella is not happy with Stephanie trying to capture a family member, so she continues to give the "evil eye" and cursing her to hell. Ranger is hiring out Stephanie to find the killer for old ladies who play bingo together. She's working side by side with Ranger and Grandma Mazur. How many cars of Rangers are demolished in this book? Lula on the other hand is trying to befriend and help a giraffe that keeps popping up in Trenton. The book is pretty much like all of the others. The same old with the men in her life, her getting shot at, exploded at, etc. Other than the story of Sunny and the giraffe, the books need to get some new edge to them. Maybe its time for Stephanie to grow up, settle down or settle out of both "man" relationships and move on. There were some funny parts, but nothing that made me laugh so hard I nearlty wet myself like the first few books. It's too bad, but getting boring now. The series has lived its life and needs to be put out of its misery.

message 42: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 286 comments Yes, I agree, Stephanie needs to grow up. But, since she isn't getting any older - who cares? The books are funny and entertaining and Stephanie can stay 30 something forever as far as I am concerned. Well, as long as it takes Ranger to come to terms with his past and realize that Stephanie is his future.

message 43: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 12 comments I love the books, I still find them hilarious, but the thing with Morelli is kind of getting old. I mean they're on again off again, and even when their seeing each other they might of been other people but neither of them seems too bothered by the thought, or are even sure since they never really discuss it. Other than that I think the series is still great entertainment and good for a laugh.

message 44: by Sinthu (new)

Sinthu murali  | 1 comments i love both ranger and joe,but best alpha male of the book goes to ranger ,i finished all twenty books ,i felt in some of the later books ,the plot is missing ,but still the series in the top of my laugh out loud books ..i 'm waiting for the next one ....