Books Made Me Broke discussion

General Book Talk & Discussion > Scariest Books EVER

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn, The Jaguar (new)

Jenn Harris (Reader of Things) | 830 comments Mod
What was the scariest book youve ever read? What was the most disturbing scene?

message 2: by Bailey Hett (new)

Bailey Hett I would really love people to post scary books on this discussion! I always look for scary books and never seem to find much.

message 3: by Bookishlor (new)

Bookishlor The creepiest story I've read lately was a short story in Everything's Eventual by Stephen King. The story was called The Man In The Black Suit. Read the excerpt after reading the story. It explains the origin of the story which just made it creepier!! Gave me chills. I truly believed the story after that.

message 4: by Jenn, The Jaguar (last edited Aug 28, 2013 06:50PM) (new)

I've only ever read two books that even mildly scared me, one was Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3) by Mark Lawrence , and even then I was mostly just severely disturbed. There was this really creepy violent scene that just...ugh *shudder* so wrong.

The only book ever gave me nightmares was (don't laugh)this: Triss (Redwall, #15) by Brian Jacques It was about mice and moles and stuff, and there was this scene where this two-headed snake ate this little mouse, and I was seriously freaked. I was like nine when I read it, so I guess it wouldn't scare me now. I'm still too scared to re-read it though lol.

message 5: by Jenn, The Jaguar (new)

Lauren wrote: "The creepiest story I've read lately was a short story in Everything's Eventual by Stephen King. The story was called The Man In The Black Suit. Read the excerpt after reading the story. It explain..."

Oh I've always wanted to read a Stephen King story! I hear they're super scary.

message 6: by Bookishlor (new)

Bookishlor Don't knock things that creep you out when you're young!

I hid a copy of The Three Little Pigs Three Little Pigs by Al Dempster behind my bookshelf when i was VERY young. The one image of the big bad wolf coming out of the shadows in a forest to kill the pigs scared the bejeezus out of me! I had so many nightmares.

The other books are older and called Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories #1) by Alvin Schwartz and Scary Stories 3 More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz . All of them had creepy black and white drawings like a short clip from one of the stories. There was one that was called Tailey Po or Tail-E something. It was this creature that lost it's tail and came into a child's bedroom at night because he took it or sliced it off? Anyways the image is him peering over a foot board. Nightmares!

message 7: by Bailey Hett (new)

Bailey Hett Hahaha I remember the Scary Stories books! I never really read them because the few stories I read just seemed really fake to me. I think the scariest thing is when it seems like it could be real.

message 8: by Bookishlor (new)

Bookishlor I had a lot of pets and lived in the country so creature stories seemed very real to me. ha

message 9: by Jenn, The Jaguar (new)

I had a Tweety Bird post in my room that scared the crap out of me. It was him skipping, and I swear he was coming out of the poster RIGHT at me.

message 10: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Wheaton (kimberleighwheaton) | 8 comments Lots of Stephen King & Dean Koontz books freaked me out when I was younger. It by Stephen King & Phantoms by Dean Koontz were the worst. There was a book I read when I was 10 that scared me so badly, I didn't sleep for days. I hid the book in the closet but it didn't help (like it would). Can't remember the name of the book, probably for the best :)

message 11: by Bailey Hett (new)

Bailey Hett I just read The Name of the Star and that one was good. It's more creepy than anything, not really scary. But it was really good!

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments I like books about supposedly real hauntings. Like Ghost Hunters on Scyfy: Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson have a few books out. Also, the conjouring movie that just came out is supposed to be based on real people: Ed and Lorraine Warren who have a book I just requested from my library

message 13: by Lina (new)

Lina (booksnotlovers) I've never really read any scary books. Should I?

message 14: by Jenn, The Jaguar (new)

Of course! you've never truly lived until you've seen a scary movie and read a scary book.

message 15: by Lina (new)

Lina (booksnotlovers) Asch's Anti-Paradigm (JennTheAwesum) wrote: "Of course! you've never truly lived until you've seen a scary movie and read a scary book."

But I hate scary movies. I've only seen one or two in my life. I'm afraid I'll be just as afraid of scary books.

message 16: by Bailey Hett (new)

Bailey Hett I just try not to read them at night.

message 17: by Lina (new)

Lina (booksnotlovers) I just remembered, I've read one! De dødes tjern by André Bjerke (Translated to The Dead One's Lake - or something along those lines). It's a Norwegian classic.

coconutsnbutts (♫ נєѕѕι¢α  ♪) | 201 comments Mod
Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire wrote: "I guess the scariest would be Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake. Its not scary but the most disturbing part was when Anna killed Mike by tearing him in half. Eww"

Please tag your spoilers!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) "The Shining" by Stephen King was one I really liked. "The Tommyknockers" was a bit frightening too. Stephen King is my normal go-to for horror, but John Saul is another author I choose when I want to be scared. For thrillers, I go for Dean Koontz.