Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Off Topic > UFOs

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
Crop circles appear in my first novel, and we had a wave of them in england when I was very small that captured my imagination.

About three years ago while I was still living in england I was at home skyping with my Viking when my mum called me from the supermarket carpark. She told me too look out the window at a light, it was a frosty clear night and in my hometown in england its kind of rural and on the coast so you can see pretty many stars.

I saw it as soon as I looked out "Over in the direction of nanny's house" My room had a good scope from the left (farmland in the distance) to the right (out to sea) and we're on a hill too.

It was sparkling, there was no little blinking red light which is what I was always told to look for, and quite a bright orange. It reminded me of what a orange christmas bulb looks like when it flickers on a house in the wind. It was larger than the stars around it but there wasn't anything around to gauge distance from. However, I got the feeling it was pretty close and quite low as I regularly see aeroplanes from my window.

It hovered for a small while but it suddenly accelerated,

Mum still on the phone, losing sight of it over the supermarket building: "Blimey, that was quick!"

It shot across the sky and out to the direction of the sea at a speed that I don't think I've ever seen before.

We have a annual airshow in the town which includes tornadoes, (sometimes) harrier jumpjets and red arrows and I always (ever since I can remember) have watched it from my window as the view of the sea isn't blocked (alot of my neighbours do too, the big planes rumble our houses lol) this thing moved ridiculously fast. And it went so far that I actually lost sight of it in the distance, as it climbed higher. I've never experienced that before either.

I was angry at myself for not filming it, though I don't think my phone would have picked it up lol.

I should also mention about an hour away by car is an international airport so I often saw planes leaving snail trails really high in the sky too.

I'm not saying it was aliens, since my hometown is near american and british military bases. (we had a munitions shed explode one year and my hometown smelt like bacon for a week!)

It was a straegic military point during the second world war and was evactuated during it. Its one of the reasons we have the airshow. I also heard from a military friend that year that jets had been scrambled afew times since the russians had been 'testing british airspace' and he thought it was something to do with the oil in the north of europe.

So, I don't think it was aliens, but maybe something military. Eitherway its really interesting!

I wondered if anyone else had any stories? Have they influenced your writing?

message 2: by James (new)

James Caterino (jimcaterino) | 37 comments @Bisky Oh I wish I had a story like that! How close do you live to the area where Rendlesham Forest Incident happened in 1980? One of the all time great UFO incidents, maybe second to Rosewell in terms of fame but with even more witnesses.

I find the subject endlessly fascinating. I have read almost everything I could get my hands on and even attempted a novel with a UFO theme. The problem I had was in finding a way to get my voice into it and make it an original creation. Everything I would write came across as being too influenced by all the films and shows in the sub-genre I love; "Close Encounters", "Taken" (the mini-series starring Dakota Fanning), "The X-Files", "Dark Skies" etc. Perhaps one day I will take another crack at it if I can find the right approach.

message 3: by Bisky (new)

I tried that too! In the end I settled for a small part of my first novel, Vermillion, I'm pretty happy with that :3 (youll have to wait until its published ;] I did enter it into pitchmadness :p)

The Rendlesham forest incident happened about 45 mins away? My dads mum lives near there (lots of farmland) :3 its a different county actually, and I live closer to the sea. We get alot of odd radar anomolies off the coast :] I love love love researching it. Total guilty pleasure :3

message 4: by Bisky (new)

PS I know a policeman who lives in that county but on the coast who filmed a UFO over the sea and he got it taken away by his superiors in the early ninties :3

message 5: by James (new)

James Caterino (jimcaterino) | 37 comments @Bisky Oh cool! That is right in your back yard. Another famous UFO incident occurred just outside Pittsburgh where I grew up, Kecksburg UFO incident. The people on that area are about as down-to-earth and sincere as they come and when something crashed there on December 9th, 1965 the clean-up and cover-up that followed was downright spooky! Several families were threatened by "Men in Black" types. "Unsolved Mysteries" did a great segment about it back in the Robert Stack days.

message 6: by Bisky (new)

Its familiar! I've heard some interesting stories while I've been studying abroad. I always like them when they are local :3

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments A friend on mine and I saw a UFO when we were on a Boyscout camping trip when I was twelve or so. This was in the 1970s. We were on Mt.Pilchuk and were off by ourselves, lying on our backs looking up at the clouds near the mountain's peak. As the clouds flowed by they revealed a shape that appeared to be hovering just within the clouds.

It looked for all the world like an enormous ramjet engine, though we could only see one end of the object. We had no good way to estimate the objects size but it must have been HUGE as the clouds were above the peak. It remained stationary for several minutes before being obscured again by the motion of the clouds and we did not see it again.

This sighting occurred in broad daylight, and years later after I got out of the army my friend tentatively asked for confirmation that we had actually seen the object and was quite relieved when I was able to do so.

I call it a UFO because it was unidentified, was up in the air and was definitely an object. What was it? I have no clue. It's form and ability to hover are inconsistent with any known aircraft type or any theoretical type that I am aware of.

Was it an alien spacecraft? I can't even speculate. All I can say was that we saw it and have no explanation.

message 8: by Bisky (new)

So interesting! Do you know if there had been any other sightings around that area? Sounds like a great campfire story too :3

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Nobody else said anything, but then they wouldn't necessarily, would they?

message 10: by Bisky (new)

Thats true! No one said anything about what I saw, and I put it on facebook at the time :p

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Michelle | 450 comments Mod
Once I was driving home from work at Disneyland on a very foggy night--it was like a brick--and I was driving up an overpass ramp and I see these four lights shining through the fog hovering above the ramp! I was freaking out and I was like WTH is that? The overpass curves so I was driving pretty dangerously trying to look at these lights and not the ramp or cars around (although there weren't really any other cars around, it was close to midnight).
It took about two minutes to realize the fog was so thick it was blocking out the poles to the light posts lol And that's why I thought the lights were just hovering but it was really the freeway lights xp I was thoroughly convinced it was aliens for a couple mins then I felt really stupid xp

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner There was one point while in the service, we were out in the Pacific, near the Marriana's Islands. An odd ball light streaked north to south low and fast enough to send the ship to General Quarters.

It was never identified, and the C.O. recommended that no one ever discuss it. The incident was even stricken from the watch logs. This was back in the early 90's.

message 13: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
I find those stories about unidentified objects simply fascinating.
Back in the late 70's, early 80's, my x and I were coming back home on a late summer night. I noticed an object in the sky to our left. It was smaller than the moon but a lot larger than the stars. After a while I told my x who dismissed it telling me it was probably just a big star and thus it was normal that it seemed to follow us. I argued that I had never seen a star that big but he just ignored me.
After some time, I lost sight of the object and found it to our right. When I asked him if stars could change location in the sky on a straight road, he laughed at me and asked me why. So I told him of my new discovery. He asked me to keep an eye on it since we were leaving the country road soon.
Once on the exit road near our street, he stopped to look at it. The light had turned with us. It flew passed us and then stopped.
"That's strange," he told me, so I asked him to back up, which he did. A few seconds later, the light moved back and stopped. He moved forward and waited. Once again, the light did the same. My x got spooked and hit the gas. The thing still followed us. It even turned on our street with us staying to my right.
Suddenly, the light cut to the left over the car and zoomed away faster than anything I had ever seen.
During all that time our windows were opened but we never heard any noise at all.
Only once in the safety of our house did we realize we should have stayed and see what it wanted.

message 14: by G.G. (new)

As if the other one was not enough, during the following winter, my ex and I went outside in the middle of the night (around 3AM)to play with the dogs. (Yes, we did that quite often.)
Suddenly, the whole yard became as bright as day light. The dogs yelped and ran to the house all the while looking over their shoulders and into the sky. My x and I turned to try to see what they were looking at, but all we saw was a blinding light that flew away so quickly that we both wondered if we had actually seen it. The yard immediately returned to its normal darkness, however, the dogs were restless and didn't want to stay outside with us anymore.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Wow GG that's so compelling. I would've done the same thing probably haha or maybe I would've been too shocked to do anything and just stared •_•

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Ps that second story is crazy too. It's like you're a magnet!

message 17: by G.G. (new)

@Nicole That's what we were thinking back then too because that year was eventful to say the least.

The next one we are still debating on what it could have been. We're still not quite sure.

On another night we saw the same kind of light in the sky. We were a few miles from home. We stopped and waited, thinking that it might just be a plane or a chopper, although yet again, there was no sound.
After a while, the light seemed to lean towards us, illuminating the inside of the car, so bright, it blinded us. Once we could see again, the 'star' was gone.

We had other strange encounters that same year, but, unlike those three times, they could always be explained by something or another. (Or at least we want to believe it.)

Strange enough though, instead of spooking us, we went for car rides every chance we had, and since he was working shifts, we had plenty of occasions. :P

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Wow, crazy and exciting at the same time haha. I can definitely see how that would make someone keep looking for answers, I probably would. Hopefully you had a camera on you! Although to be fair, If it were me I'd probably forget to film anything bc I'd be too stunned by what's happening haha SoCal is too city-ish to take note of any 'mysterious' lights, unfortunately. So there's never any alien stories really, but it's still fascinating to me nonetheless :)

message 19: by G.G. (new)

Sadly,no,no camera. We did buy a video camera a few years later, but the lights phenomena never occurred again after that year.

message 20: by Jason (new)

Jason | 1 comments UFOs were my early childhood fear. Isn't that odd? I think it was the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind in which the little boy is taken away that caused this. So I can definitely tap down into that memory of being afraid that something might whisk me up into the sky whenever I need to write a frightening scene.

message 21: by G.G. (new)

It is strange how people perceive things differently. I don't recall ever being afraid of aliens. No matter how many movies I"ve seen about alien abductions and bad treatments done to abductees, I always regarded them as friends.
My x and I have been divorced for 18 years now, and we still talk about those days. How we could have been abducted, but we always shrug it off. If beings that powerful visiting Earth were mean and dangerous, they would have shown their true colors by now.
Of course, that means I'd probably be one of those stupid people who die quickly in those horror movies. ;)

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Hahaha oh GG I'm sure you wouldn't be the one to "die". You're too smart and I'm sure you'd probably see the signs :)

message 23: by G.G. (last edited Dec 23, 2013 09:35AM) (new)

Hahah You're right. I'd probably wait and see if someone else gets killed before I'd get closer. :>

EDITED: I mean you are right; I'd see the sign... not that I am too smart!!

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Hahaha :) smart enough to be a survivalist ;)

message 25: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) Prompted by G.G from a true stories thread I'm here to tell my tale.

One day in the early to mid 90's the whole family was in the car out for a drive. I'd been forced to go for "family time". Luckily, at least on that occasion.

So we're driving along in semi countryside not far from the suburb we lived and I see this shiny dot in the distance and say to my brother and sister, "look, a helicopter".

They try and see but because it's on my side of the car they can't make it out, and it was only the size of a pin head really, one of the ball types at arms length.

I kept watching it, bored out of my mind. It struck me as odd because it hovered around constantly. I decided it couldn't be a helicopter then, and if it was it was in big trouble, that it must be a weather balloon. Yes, the old weather balloon haha.

Then, it zipped across the sky horizontally and I lost it for a moment, found it again at some distance. It hovered about a bit, zipped back to about where it had initially been. Hovered. Then zipped off up and away. And when I say zipped, it wasn't visible to the eye. There was a brief blur where it had been, giving enough of a visual clue as to which way it had gone, then gone.

The next night on the news there was a report on people in the suburbs having seen lights in the sky that previous night. So it had come back.

message 26: by G.G. (new)

@Jim, all I can say is that we had practically the same experience, and I stick to what I said: It was something alien. (Check message number 13)
The thing is, someone else I've met online told me the same thing and we didn't live at all in the same area. My encounters (more than once) were near Montreal Quebec, and hers were somewhere in the western part of the US if I remember right.

message 27: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) @ G.G. Yeah I read them all. I honestly don't know what it was and don't claim to. I just love that guys hair and the meme, lol. I watched that series for a bit too. He is one interesting cat is all I can say.

Whether government tests, humans from the future/past, extra terrestrials, it certainly was no widely known conveyance back then or now twenty years later. That's what intrigues us the most though isn't it? The not knowing. The possibilities.

Once we know how the magician gets the rabbit in and out of his top hat it ceases to be magical.

We'll still have that guys hair though LOL

message 28: by G.G. (new)

LOL yeah I love the picture too!
And you're right. One day maybe everything will be explained and the fun will fade away. I still prefer to believe we saw the real thing, true or false. Let me believe in the magician and the rabbit! Pretty please! :P

message 29: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) Haha. Nothing up my sleeves...

message 30: by Karey (new)

Karey I was five.
Waiting in the car, while my parents went into a Chinese food restaurant for takeout. This was in 1970. Kids waited in the car just fine.
We drank out of hoses too, but that's a different story.
Above, a roar.
Not sonic.
Not airplanes like the time grandpa took me to the airport to watch the airplanes take off--something else from the 70's that is now banished thanks to monsters with guns.
Anyhoo...it was getting dark. Lights from businesses were on.
And above, the roar became louder.
Looking out the window, a monstrous round thing...with lights in blues, reds, yellows....going round and round...

And then, it was gone. Just....gone.
People were pointing.
My parents rushed into the car.
The car jerked a few times.
Later in life, I realized his nerves were causing him to do something that kept stalling the car.
'Dad, there was this thing in the sky--"
'It was a helicopter.'
"No, dad, it wasn't a hell--"
"IT WAS A HELICOPTER!"
I silenced.
Never spoke of it again.
Time marched on. I forgot all about it.
Fast forward to late 70's.
Close Encounters of a Third Kind.
Looked like a lame movie.
Nothing else on. Parents out. I'll watch this to stay awake.
And when the UFO makes its first appearance--I sat forward.
And cried.
Teeth chattered.
Memories flooded back.
It was the exact replica of what I'd seen.
It wasn't until alllll these years later that I've realized: whomever made the special effects for that UFO, had they seen the UFO that long ago night, and that's what they used the basis of their design on??? Because these UFO's were more like a top with the underside multicolored bright--BRIGHT lights, not the traditional grayish saucers.
Things that make you go, hmmmmm....

When stationed in Germany, my daughters and I saw cigar shaped UFO's all the time. They were rather common there. Wonder what's up with that.

message 31: by Karey (new)

Karey That picture is awesome. In this house, we LOVE Ancient Aliens and the sub shows 'crazy hair' is in.

message 32: by G.G. (new)

@Karey Those movies producers have to take their ideas from real facts they heard from people, so I'm not really surprised.
What a terrifying event for such a young kid. No wonder your sub conscience tried to make you forget...until you saw that movie.

message 33: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) Yeah I bet they looked at as many accounts as possible when they were planning the effects and whatnot.

What I find surprising is all the different types. Lights, no lights, saucer, spinning top, cigar, etc. Is Earth an intergalactic roadhouse, or is it just the different governments of the world, different designs?

"Did you see? Japan's got a horseshoe one now with cup holders and seat warmers."

@Karey haha yeah crazy hair has been around the block a few times huh?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giorgio_...

message 34: by Karey (new)

Karey Well....HE'S busy, ja?

message 35: by Cem (new)

Cem Bilici (cembilici) I know, right? Makes me wonder if he's ever had his own experience. Maybe that's why his hair is like that. Electromagnetic interference lol.