THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Wattpad Experience

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Chandler | 41 comments Has anybody used Wattpad (sp?). It was recommended to me by another GR teen novel writer who is getting great response. I'm considering it at some point.

Also, I noticed the authors there have great covers. Does anybody know where they get them? Does Wattpad had stock covers? I can't find any info on their sight.

Jo

This side of Forever

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Vespia (cynv) | 33 comments I just heard someone else mention Wattpad as a great marketing tool but I haven't heard much else about it.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Chandler | 41 comments Thanks, Cynthia. That makes two people who say it works. Anybody else have any experience?

message 4: by Mercy (new)

Mercy Cortez (mercy-cortez) | 11 comments They have groups on wattpad; people make covers either for free or for a payment. They just want credit. My cover Never Ever After (Never #1) by Mercy Cortez was made on Wattpad. I started there and it is brilliant for feedback however it didnt feel as professional as publishing is. It was fun to do though and a great place to start. Also you upload your story in parts. Another problem for a reader is waiting for the next part and this puts pressure on the writer.

However a good example of using it well is here... http://www.wattpad.com/22036995-sex-d...

and I must say it is a great story that I really want to buy.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo Chandler | 41 comments Thank you so much, Mercy! I finally get it. Your information is helpful, and I will check out the url right now. I'm thinking of serializing my published book on Wattpad in the future. Again, merci Mercy.
J

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments @Mercy: I took a look at the link. The first sentence of the story read "I must of fallen asleep." I didn't bother to read more :)

That said, I do know other authors--specifically, YA authors--who have had good experiences with Wattpad.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Chandler | 41 comments Thanks, Ken.

I read the url Mercy posted. Do you know that story has had over 10,000 hits and several hundred comments, which all say how wonderful the story is? This author, unedited, seems to have hit a cord with her readers. No moralizing here. Just contemplating the nature of story telling and of Wattpad.

Your YA authors, do you have a name or url? I'd love to read one.

Thanks,
Jo

message 8: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 29, 2013 04:36PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) With more than 10,000 hits, and if a lot had been from goodreads friends with similar reading reading tastes recommending it to me -- I would have checked out that link. And, like Ken, needed a lot of arm twisting from those goodreads friends to get past "I must of fallen asleep" to either put it at the very bottom of my to-read pile or a virtual back-of-toilet (meaning to read in less than five-minute intervals sporadically until either completed or reconsider if story started to get interesting).

Copy-editing mistakes slow down my reading pace and reduce my enjoyment. I can get around (particularly if caught up in storyline or intrigued by characters)—but the badly edited books, I will always set aside in favor of the more professional works. I have less of a problem with the obvious spellcheck slips (bad instead of bed), dialog attempting to convey character traits, or even misused homonyms (there, their, they're) than with badly constructed sentences. (I will judge a work as less professional, but I can read the thing). I have a real problem with the sentences and paragraphs you have to re-read several times trying to determine what author meant to say. The ones so jumbled up you can't tell who did an important action like "fired the gun at" and who was hit by the bullet. Judging by some of the books I've tried to read lately, apparently I'm just old-fashioned for expecting the basic sentence structure to make sense. Or to even be a sentence -- sheesh, what type of sentence is "I must of fallen asleep"?

message 9: by Topsy (new)

Topsy Baxter (topsybaxter) | 4 comments HI Jo, I have used a professional from Boston who is not expensive for my covert art. Contact: donna_casey@verizon.net My 1st book Interrupted Romance is published and my 2nd book The Dairy Cottage will be released soon. Check out her website for a good cover. Cheers Topsy Baxter.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo Chandler | 41 comments Hey, thanks so much Topsy. Appreciate it.
Jo

message 11: by Topsy (new)

Topsy Baxter (topsybaxter) | 4 comments Jo wrote: "Hey, thanks so much Topsy. Appreciate it.
Jo"

message 12: by Topsy (new)

Topsy Baxter (topsybaxter) | 4 comments Jo, I forgot to give you the website: www.digitaldonna.com
Thoroughly recommend her.

Cheers, Topsy

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo Chandler | 41 comments Got it! Thanks.

message 14: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Vespia (cynv) | 33 comments Thanks for the feedback guys. I do my own cover art so I don't need an artist but publishing your novel in a serialized manner may be a different way to promote.