Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

After Hours
This topic is about After Hours
Archive (Buddy Reads) > Group Buddy Read - After Hours - Cara McKenna - **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments After an intense vote for the group buddy read and a run-off vote, we have a winner! We will be reading After Hours and I hope all you guys that voted will stop by and join in :) (don't forget, I know all who voted..)

Ty  | 1943 comments yay, I voted for this one! Since it's my PIFM, I will def be dropping in.....

message 3: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i have it slotted into SRC so i'll be here!

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 19730 comments Going shopping now!

Ty  | 1943 comments ha! I bet I know which task...

Kiesha (kieshas) I just bought the book. Can't wait to get started!

message 7: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments I just bought it too!

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 19730 comments I finished this evening. I liked it, but had a few issues with it too. Certainly has a lot of steam. Looking forward to discussing it when others finish it too!

Kiesha (kieshas) I've finally finished After hours. I thought the book was mediocre. I don't want to give anything away so I will wait until we have our discussions to disclose my thoughts on this book.

message 10: by Ty (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ty  | 1943 comments just started today. It is certainly very steamy, and there's something to be said about pushy alpha males...

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Keisha - you can comment - this thread is ok for spoilers

message 12: by Ty (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ty  | 1943 comments finished! I agree with your review, MK. I liked it well enough, and I loved Willing Victim, but I just wish there was a little bit more of an emotional connection. This would be my 3rd or 4th book by Cara McKenna, so this seems to be a running theme in her books - it's just a litttttle bit not enough to get you where you need to go as a reader. If that makes sense. I still gave it 4 stars (more like 3.75 haha)

message 13: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments I really want to get to this one, I bought it and everything, LOL. Hoping to fit it in at the end of the month.

I loved Willing Victim too, as well as her Curio series.

message 14: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 23, 2013 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments I finished this one tonight. I really liked it. Kelly and Erin seemed very real, two people with difficult backgrounds trying to make something of themselves and trying to find some happiness/love along the way. 4*

I would have liked more of them together, but I also enjoyed reading about Erin's job and her daily struggles and growth in her workplace.

message 15: by Ty (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ty  | 1943 comments Is it just me or was it kinda random that a feminist vibe seemingly popped up in the middle of the story? I don't remember the exact quote but there was sentence that gave me some pause - something along the lines of... win-win situation if her feminist gave in to a weekend of sexual pleasure.. I will have go home and search for the quote on my nook.

message 16: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 19730 comments I'm not sure, but I thought it was throughout. Something to do with her mom and sister always needing a man and never being able to stand on their own two feet.

message 17: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments I felt the same way Kat. Erin was trying not to rely on anyone, especially men. I felt like she was trying her hardest to assert her 'feminist' beliefs throughout.

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I liked this story, mostly for the different setting and the interesting characters.

message 19: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 457 comments i cant's remeber if i voted.. hehehehe

message 20: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments I finally finished a couple of days ago, and I liked it well enough, but it wasn't anything special. I agree with you, Ty, it just didn't quite get there emotionally for me. Part of the problem may have been the audio - the narration was very uneven - quite good in some places, but pretty bad in others. This was my first book by this author, so I'll probably give her another try at some point - maybe next month since I have one of her books on my PIFM rec. list - thanks, Ty! :D

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "I finally finished a couple of days ago, and I liked it well enough, but it wasn't anything special. I agree with you, Ty, it just didn't quite get there emotionally for me. Part of the problem m..."

I want to try this one, but I want to do the audio. So Karen, you are making me pause...

message 22: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2013 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I want to try this one, but I want to do the audio. So Karen, you are making me pause..."

If it helps, I can tell you that the parts that were good were very good - the narrator hit the emotions exactly and was very expressive through much of the book. The flip side though, was there were stretches where the narration was just flat and wooden, no emotion, and even the pronunciation was kind of strange...overly precise - as I said to a friend last night, almost like she was speaking to someone who doesn't understand the language very well, or explaining something to a small child. And it wasn't like the first half of the book was good and the second half bad or something like that, it switched back and forth multiple times throughout the book. It wasn't so bad that I gave up on the audio and read it instead, but there were a few times when I considered it...

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I want to try this one, but I want to do the audio. So Karen, you are making me pause..."

If it helps, I can tell you that the parts that were good were very good..."

I think I need a little more in the way of a shove :D
Just enough to get me over the hump so I can go back to audible and get it because I really want to read it...but if I get the e-book, it will get lost. I seem to get my audios in better

message 24: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments Well, this is one of those that's cheaper to get the ebook and audiobook with the whispersync deal than it is to get the audiobook alone, so you might want to just get both, then you can switch to the ebook if the audio gets too annoying :D

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Well, this is one of those that's cheaper to get the ebook and audiobook with the whispersync deal than it is to get the audiobook alone, so you might want to just get both, then you can switch to ..."

that was good enough:)
Thanks Karen

message 26: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments Glad I could help! :D

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "Glad I could help! :D"

thanks a lot...you enabler!

message 28: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments It's one of my best talents - don't want to be alone in my obsession... ;-)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "It's one of my best talents - don't want to be alone in my obsession... ;-)"

right, right...I feel ya on that!
Hi-five!

message 30: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments *snicker*

message 31: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 19730 comments Question - Is there going to be a group buddy read for October? Just trying to plan things out...

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments MountainKat wrote: "Question - Is there going to be a group buddy read for October? Just trying to plan things out..."

what book?

message 33: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments We haven't decided yet. Thinking about doing a Jennifer Armentrout group read - any book by her, and you can discuss it in a thread.

What do you think? Tying it into the FAC...

or would you guys like another poll...

message 34: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 19730 comments Fran wrote: "We haven't decided yet. Thinking about doing a Jennifer Armentrout group read - any book by her, and you can discuss it in a thread.

or would you guys..."

I think the hard part about doing it with the FAC is that you have so many A's and so many C's. So I guess I would lean towards another poll. It was nice having the discussion thread about the book so many of us chose for the FAC this month, but I could see it not working well with the author for October or really any author who writes mostly series. Just my thoughts. =)

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments Thanks for your input Kat :)

I do love a poll...

message 36: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Sep 24, 2013 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments you know, this book has a sequel due out Oct. 15. Did you all like it enough to read another installment?
Unbound by Cara McKenna

message 37: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "you know, this book has a sequel due out Oct. 15. Did you all like it enough to read another installment?
Unbound by Cara McKenna"

It looks like this one is not related to After Hours, just the same author. We could keep it in mind for November though Ezinwanyi :)

I think we should go with a book that will be out by Oct. 1st.

message 38: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Sep 24, 2013 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Fran wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "you know, this book has a sequel due out Oct. 15. Did you all like it enough to read another installment?
Unbound by Cara McKenna"

It looks like this one is..."

sorry, it was linked on Amazon. gotta love Amazon (*rolling my eyes at them).

Never mind, don't keep it as an option. I wasn't interested in the book like that. I just thought it was book 2.

message 39: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments OK, the October Group Buddy Read poll is up...

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/91...

Go vote!

message 40: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 6904 comments Fran wrote: "We haven't decided yet. Thinking about doing a Jennifer Armentrout group read - any book by her, and you can discuss it in a thread.

or would you guys..."

I'm a little late to the discussion (so what else is new???) but just thought I'd let you all know that I've got a PIFM buddy read planned for next month for Tempting the Best Man, which works for the FAC. I don't have a start date yet, but anyone who wants to join in is welcome!

message 41: by Ty (last edited Sep 24, 2013 07:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ty  | 1943 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "I finally finished a couple of days ago, and I liked it well enough, but it wasn't anything special. I agree with you, Ty, it just didn't quite get there emotionally for me. Part of the problem m..."

Her M/M and Curio vignettes aren't too bad either. She publishes more mainstream but still erotic books under the pen name Meg Maguire.

message 42: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fran | 11006 comments *One more day to vote for next month's Group Read!*

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/12...

Please stop by the Poll and vote if you haven't already :)