What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Evacuee
This topic is about Evacuee
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA - girl evacuated to America during the war to live with a family [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahdonald) | 5 comments I would have read this book in the 1990s, however who knows hold old it was at that time!

From memory i think the main characters name is Frances/franny/fanny/fran. She is evacuated from England during the war and sent to live with a family in America - the family have a daughter around her age and an older son. The main character does not get along with the son (until the end when he rescues her from drowning).

The main character's brother joins the war and towards the end of the book is either killed or listed as missing in action. This might be connected to the incident where main character runs away from the house and almost drowns in a lake, only to be rescued by the son of the family.

In the end the main character and the son kind of get together and the son enlists to fight in the war.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Sarah, do you remember which war was taking place in the book?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I'm guessing it's WWII, since there were mass evacuations of children in that war. Not too many other wars that I am aware of (at least in semi-modern--it 1776 forward) that had children from England evacuated. Even during the war with Napoleon they weren't evacuated, and that was the next closest war that involved a major threat to the English countryside.

I know that children in the cities were evacuated to the country, with other children sent to the U.S. and to Canada. I think that there might even have been some sent down to Australia, but this last I'm not totally sure of.

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Right after posting, I figured it was probably WWII.
My brain had checked out for a bit :P

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahdonald) | 5 comments Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I dont remember which war, however going by my limited knowledge of history I would say ww2.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments This is a stretch b/c it's a brother and sister that go to Canada during WWII. But, maybe it's from the Guest of War series?
http://www.goodreads.com/series/66349...

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahdonald) | 5 comments Unfortunately not (although that series looks like one to read!).

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Sarah, still looking?

message 9: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahdonald) | 5 comments yes, unfortunately have not yet tracked down the name of this book.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 11: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah (sarahdonald) | 5 comments I do believe i have just found the name and author! Evacuee by Gabriel Alington (published by Walker Books in1988). Now just to find a copy in Australia as i doubt it has been made into an e-book!

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Great news.

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19148 comments Evacuee for the trackable link.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Evacuee (other topics)