Ravelry Knitters discussion

Three Bags Full
This topic is about Three Bags Full
Group Reading > September Book: Three Bags Full

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bridgette (littleredknitter) I bought my copy, who's ready for September read? :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm ready for the next read...almost! My copy is waiting for me at the library.

Kirsty (jammycaketin) | 1 comments Ooh, I read this a few years ago. It's a lovely book. I hope everyone enjoys it :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments Same here - I hope everyone enjoys it. It was a fun read for me.

Susan Barlow Picked up a copy from the local library today. I'm looking forward to starting it.

Laura (suddenexpression) | 9 comments I think I'm finally joining in. Audible has it and I have 3 credits!

Stephanie (quiltsrme) Hoping to start the audiobook today while starting some socks.

message 8: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie | 1 comments I got my library copy ready...

Laura (suddenexpression) | 9 comments I hate to say it but I couldn't listen to this book. Maybe it gets better but I listened to 4 chapters and was bored as could be. I preferred to return it on Audible and use my credit on something I enjoy more. Maybe next month ill join along again!

Apryl Anderson (aprylza) | 6 comments Life has suddenly become very difficult: not only do I treasure my downtime for knitting, there's no way I can hold the paperback open to read while I knit--it's either one or the other. Plus, I'm curious as to what you're thinking as you read, and had to stop everything to find out!

This is only of the funnest, craziest, most bewildering books I've read in a long time, and I love it!

I'm halfway through, and I'll be back soon to hear what you have to say...

P.s. I've got my bets on the little boy who lives down the lane.

VonnieRiehle | 1 comments It was not the best book to listen too as others have mentioned. I did complete it but I will not recommend it to others to put on the to read list.

Susan Barlow I'm half way through and I admit it was hard to get into. It certainly takes a while to get used to the sheep talking, and yet I've read books featuring talking dogs and cats and haven't had the same problem suspending belief.

Having said that I'm interested in the murder plot now and will certainly finish it. It is strange that in some ways the sheep seem quite stupid, and at other times there are these weird philosophical ramblings. I have to agree with Apryl, it's bewildering!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book pretty quick. Not much to it really. A whodunnit with sheep as the investigators. It was amusing and a mystery usually keeps your interest, which this one did. But a New York Times bestseller? It brought that list down a few notches, in my eyes. I'm with Vonnie, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone except maybe a child.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Michael | 5 comments I couldn't decide whether to listen to the audio or read the book so I listened to an audio snippet and found the narrator to be a bit boring, not to mention she's British not Irish. Since the story takes place in Ireland I would have expected an nice Irish lilt. Anyway, I love the book! It's cute and amusing... a nice quick, light read. I would definitely recommend it!

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments The audio version I got is read by Hugh Lee who does voices for the sheep and a passable Irish brogue for the humans - so that's all good :o)

The story is fun to listen to, a classic whodunnit Agatha Christie-style. Several others here are obviously not amused by the sheepy characters - I love that the cleverest ewe is called Miss Maple, as well as the paradox of the sheep being somewhat silly and at the same time, wise.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments I liked this novel. Very whimsical.

Isabel | 81 comments I've just finished my current read and this one is up next! A bit jumbled by the mixed comments here, but will be approaching it as a light lark..... something akin to the mindless garter stitch neck warmer I'm currently knitting.....

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments Sometimes it's time to take a break with garter stitch. (I just finished a mindless garter-stitch baby bib. Nice break.)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just finishing up a garter stitch kimono from Vickie Square's book "Knit Kimono". Talk about easy...nothing but garter stitch rectangles. I'm hoping to have it sewn together tomorrow. A nice break indeed!

message 20: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly MacRae I loved Three Bags Full, but can understand how it might not be everyone's bag of wool. I thought Leonie Swann did an amazing job of portraying the sheeps' woolly yet wise thinking.

message 21: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
I'm loving this book, but boy is it weird!

I did try to read this before about a year ago - and I also got 4 chapters in and put it down. At the time, I think I was expecting a cozy mystery and this was not it. It is most definitely Literary Fiction (capital L, capital F) but reading it with an open mind, it's great.

I'm not sure if everything the sheep think - which is sometimes hard to follow, but I'm willing to cut them some slack - hey, they're sheep - will pertain to the mystery and be relevant. But I love their hierarchy and their mythology, like the sheep who become clouds. It can be confusing at times - and yes, this is one I really wouldn't want to try on audio because I need to re-read some sections. The fact that there is a sheep name Maple and Mopple....that would bog me down. But I'm enjoying it in print!

message 22: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
And I'm going to be assembling the poll for October soon, so any think any one feels strongly about that's NOT in the nominations thread, shoot me a message!

TIFFANY ANDERSON (miss5elements) | 30 comments I just picked up my copy from the library & am now even more intrigued after reading everyone's comments. "Animal Farm" keeps coming to mind.

I'm knitting a shawl sweater for myself while getting started on my Christmas gifts - a pair of slipper socks for Mom.

Allie Pleiter (alliepleiter) | 5 comments I just started the audiobook today, and am enjoying the sheep's point of view. I loved how they despise the butcher and the whole bit about souls coming from sense of smell. The audio version hasn't been too hard to follow so far, but I'm still early into it.

Laura Malley (veelau) | 6 comments I am just about finished this and for the most part, I have enjoyed the book. What I have REALLY enjoyed is when asked what I'm reading, I say a "Sheep Murder Mystery" and I totally dig the reaction I get.

I do like how the characters all associate with each other, but at times I fully admit, I am a wee bit confused but my friend who owns a sheep farm across the country states that it should be like that cause her sheep confuse her all the time. She can't imagine what it would be like if they could actually talk.

I like how the priest is referred to as "God"...for some reason I think that's funny, and I know I shouldn't but I do.

Bridgette (littleredknitter) This novel certainly had a slow pace, but then again, so do sheep. You really feel as though you're seeing a world through the eyes of sheep.

I'm glad I'm vegetarian, I could never eat one after reading that book!

And yes, how the priest was mislabeled "God" was quite adorable!

Now back to knitting that blanket...

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments Describing the world from a different viewpoint has to be difficult - I love how the sheep come up with their own, internally coherent, explanations for everything.

Like the priest being called 'God' and their conviction that animal sacrifices take place in his house with the pointy roof; their mythology and morality (is it acceptable for an Irish shepherd to wear Norwegian wool?); their interpretation of the whole human world in general.

Oh, and the intertextual nugget: the hugely fat, clever, cynical ram named Fosco, after the hugely fat, clever, devious count Fosco in Wilkie Collins' 'The Woman in White'. Love it.

I have to disagree with Kathryn: a child wouldn't get this book, there is too much context to deal with.

Isabel | 81 comments I think your comments Dorthe are well-considered and make me re-think my judgements of it. For instance, I thought the naming of the black sheep Othello, and Miss Maple for that matter, a bit too trite or obvious [neither word quite hitting the mark for me there] but naming a sheep [which I hadn't gotten to that part yet...] after a Wilke Collins' character seems a bit more worthy....

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 15, 2013 10:43AM) (new)

I agree, Dorthe, that a child might not get all the references to various context. As I didn't, not having read the Collins book.

A child won't get all the context of some well-done children's animated movies also, which doesn't affect a child's enjoyment and makes the movies more fun for adults to watch too. This book just didn't interest me much, that's all. No biggy. Different strokes.

I am truly glad that others have enjoyed this book much more than I did. I didn't dislike it; I simply breezed through it in three days and haven't thought of it since. While other books (movies, music, etc.) haunt me for days, weeks, and even years.

I'm looking forward to our next selection, and I'm also planning and beginning some holiday gift knitting. I'll put together a list of what I've got in mind and offer it up as a "grab bag knit along". Others can add to it too and we can make our own choices.

A bit messy but it might be fun. :) I usually have a few projects going on at once anyways; easy ones to work on while reading or watching movies, challenging ones when I can focus on the pattern.

message 30: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 10 comments Kathryn,
I can't wait to see your list of Holiday gift knitting - I am always on the lookout for new gift ideas. I love the idea of a 'grab bag knit along', although I have to admit to being one of those people who always start more than I can possibly finish before the Holidays.
Thanks in advance for the inspiration.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel What a coincidence! I recently picked this book up at a coffee shop that has a free book exchange. Talk about timing, eh? :)

Rachel Murphy (facelikefizz) | 90 comments Mod
I like that this book is so original. I've never read a book from sheep's point of view before! I thought the beginning and the description of the clever sheep contest were laugh out loud funny but the middle portion was a bit slow at times.

I wonder if the author owns sheep as she writes about them so fondly. I looked her up on Wikipedia but all it said was she is German and Leonie Swann is a nom de plume.

It's a shame the US audiobook is different to the one from Audible UK. The narrator is Irish and does the most brilliant different accents for each of the sheep. Maud was especially good - I laughed each time she spoke!

message 33: by May (new) - added it

May (myan147) | 1 comments I started reading this half year ago and haven't finished, this is good incentive to get back to it.

message 34: by Laura (last edited Sep 19, 2013 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Lough (laura_lough) | 1 comments I really enjoyed this book. I listened to the audio version and I thought it was well done (I almost always listen to my books b/c I can listen while dyeing yarn or doing yard work/chores). I was a bit confused at first b/c I assumed they were in England due to the accent, and then found out they were in Ireland. But other than that it was well read.

Now for the story. I've read plenty of murder mysteries and I'm not sure I'd really put this book in the same category. Technically it is a mystery about a murder but otherwise it doesn't really seem to fit the genre, in my opinion. So I think if you pick it up anticipating a modern murder mystery, you might be disappointed.

There were a couple of places that the story fell flat (like when the shepherd's daughter had a totally random affair with a drug dealer) but I loved all the parts involving the sheep.

To be fair, I'm biased. I have a small flock of sheep myself and often find myself wondering what they are "thinking" and anthropomorphising their actions. While the thoughts and language are pure fantasy, I can say with conviction that different sheep have different personalities. Especially the less commercialized breeds, IMHO.

This book made me wonder about the authors experience with sheep. Does she own sheep? Did she spend time "in the field" (literally) researching this book? She certainly writes as if she has been around sheep. I can easily imagine her watching a flock, observing their behaviors and thinking to herself "I wonder what that sheep is thinking..."

Perhaps one day I'll get a print copy of this book so I can sit out in the pasture and read it aloud to my flock.

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments When driving to and from work, I pass a grassy enclosure dotted with sheep, black-faced and white-faced, lambs in the spring - and now, I notice that they're working diligently at grazing and chewing the cud :o)

Literature does broaden the mind.

Dorthe (dortheaabom) | 46 comments Laura wrote: "Perhaps one day I'll get a print copy of this book so I can sit out in the pasture and read it aloud to my flock. "

I love the image of Laura's sheep listening to the goings-on of George's sheep!

Stephanie (quiltsrme) I also stopped at chapter 4, but picked it up again the other day. I thought the book interesting, but the start was slow going. After that, I Listened right through and completely enjoyed it. I loved the play and the repeated death scenes.

message 38: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Finally finished this last week, and still not sure how I feel about the ending. I guess I was expecting more of a mystery, and I DO realize the book was more about the sheep than George's death. Plus....are we supposed to believe Beth? Because my first instinct is not too, although since the protagonists are sheep, and we're trusting the fact that they don't smell her lying....very weird.

And how do sheep tour Europe?

Stephanie (quiltsrme) 'go to Europe' isn't the same as 'tour Europe'. I think he just intended to take them to the mainland somewhere. Clearly, agricultural laws would have restricted them from going from country to country.

message 40: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe | 355 comments Mod
Mainland England? Because even France would have quarantined them for a period of time. I still think it was a cute thing to offer the sheep, even if odd, because as (human) readers, don't we all want to go to Europe? :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments I *think* there is a sequel, but it hasn't been translated into English.