Lees Afrikaans discussion

Easy Afrikaans

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Electric-guitar | 4 comments Hello :)

I am an English speaking South African living in Sweden. I have not spoken or read Afrikaans in 20 years :P I can't speak it any longer (Only Cape Town slang) I and understand when spoken to and can read some Afrikaans.

I would like to better myself at the language again. Anyone have any easy Afrikaans books to recommend for? Thanks in advance

//Electric-guitar

message 2: by Alta (new)

Alta Cloete Hei! Great to hear from you! I have a son in Norway. Scandinavia is so fantastic.
I think you can start by looking at my group KOM ONS LEES WEER AFRIKAANS! here on fb. There you will find a selection of newly published books in Afrikaans. Also have a look at the little bit of Afrikaans available one Amazon.com. (I assume you would use e-books.) Depending on your e-reader, you can also look at the Afrikaans books on kalahari.net.
Don't know what you like to read, but romance novels (romanses in Afrikaans) can be a good starting point, because it is not too complicated, but just great fun.

Electric-guitar | 4 comments Thanks for the tips. (though I don't have FB)

message 4: by Geraldine (new)

Geraldine (geraldinehattingh) | 2 comments Hej!

It might be frustrating, but why not try some Afrikaans children or youth books? Something with simple sentences. Since you are living in Sweden now, why not try the two Moomin books which have been translated to Afrikaans recently (very big in Sweden, originally written in Swedish-dialect or something, the author Tove Jansson is from Finland). There are also some Moomin TV Series episodes available in Afrikaans on youtube... perhaps watching anything in Afrikaans with English subtitles might also be useful... Afrikaans movies perhaps, if you can get hold of them?

Just a few ideas - hope it helps. Otherwise, there are books/CDs available in the Teach Yourself series, sure you will be able to order online.

Good luck and let us know how you progress!

Electric-guitar | 4 comments Thanks for the tip Geraldine. You are right Moomin is big in Sweden :) I will give them a go :) Thanks. They are especially big at Copenhagen-Helsinki airport, when I was there in Dec/Jan 2014. They have their own big Moomin shop.

message 6: by Johan (last edited Aug 16, 2015 05:17AM) (new)

Johan Van Wyk | 1 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... - Probeer hierdie boek julle, beslis die moeite werd :)

Electric-guitar | 4 comments Dankie