RiseUp! discussion

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 4058 comments Mod
Have you been watching the news? Are you aware of what's going on? Do you believe we are.on the brink of WWlll???

message 2: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Well, I think so.....

message 3: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Mojoboy31 | 3210 comments Mod
I saw the news this morning... I don't see this as much different than when Clinton was president.

message 4: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Meaning?

message 5: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

I guess you wouldn't remember... Do you know how many times Clinton fired cruise missiles into the Mid-East?

message 6: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

...No... When was that?

message 7: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

I was watching an interview with Lt Col Oliver North this morning, and he listed all the times and dates. I think he did it in 96, 98, 99 and 00.

message 8: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Oh, yea, & I would DEFINITELY remember those. Cause you know, what two year DOESN'T remember? ;P

message 9: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

* two year old.

message 10: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Oh, yea, & I would DEFINITELY remember those. Cause you know, what two year DOESN'T remember? ;P"

I get ye. I'm just saying, what's happening right now has happened before, and will happen again.

message 11: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

I know that. But what I'm saying is, the events taking place are very similar to those that happened before WWll.

message 12: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

You know, there is rumors that the US may send a missile.or something to Syria tonight....

message 13: by Maximillian (new)

Maximillian (maximillianthefirst) Is this a thread about the top secret next generation of nintendo console the WWIII

message 14: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

What?!

message 15: by Maximillian (new)

Maximillian (maximillianthefirst) Well they have the Wii and the Wiiu so why not call the next one WWIII

message 16: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

I meant world war three *facepalm*

message 17: by Maximillian (new)

Maximillian (maximillianthefirst) I know but I had to have some fun.

message 18: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Oh.....

message 19: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Have you been watching the news? Are you aware of what's going on? Do you believe we are.on the brink of WWlll???"

No.

message 20: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

And your evidence?

message 21: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments The lack of anything I have seen to suggest a motive strong enough to risk MAD.

message 22: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

What?

message 23: by Maximillian (new)

Maximillian (maximillianthefirst) Mutually Assured Destruction

message 24: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Everyone with the power to start WW3 has nuclear weapons. If anyone launches, others retaliate. Everyone dies, and no-one wins. Mutually Assured Destruction.

message 25: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye The Phantom wrote: "Everyone with the power to start WW3 has nuclear weapons. If anyone launches, others retaliate. Everyone dies, and no-one wins. Mutually Assured Destruction."

I agree with that for the most part, I don't think it will be with Nuclear weapons, but what about cyber weapons?

message 26: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye If someone hacked into a countries computers, they would have access to EVERYTHING, and could shut down all the weapon systems, the power grid, everything.

message 27: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Jason wrote: "If someone hacked into a countries computers, they would have access to EVERYTHING, and could shut down all the weapon systems, the power grid, everything."

They could. It's a good point you make. Also, hi! Good to see more support.

message 28: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye Thank you. Hey Joe :)

message 29: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Hi.
I still think this is unlikely, though.

message 30: by Ember Skye (new)

Ember Skye Yeah, it probably won't

message 31: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Good then.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) Demonhunter wrote: "Well they have the Wii and the Wiiu so why not call the next one WWIII"

DH- Hi-five!

Generally, yes, things don't look all that great, and yes, we should always keep history in mind when watching current events. However, the events surrounding the birth of WWII were partially a result of WWI, the beginning of which still confuses me. WWI still strikes me as lacking in a reasonable motive. WWII, not so much. Really, once Hitler started eating up territory on the continent (and Neville Chamberlain, PM of Britain, chose to let him, to "appease" him), it was pretty clear who the villain was. And, lest we forget, most of the people of that era were decidedly against starting any trouble with anyone, because they remembered the "Great War."
I don't quite see any World War 3 worthy scenarios going on at the moment, but I could be wrong.

message 33: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Demonhunter wrote: "Well they have the Wii and the Wiiu so why not call the next one WWIII"

DH- Hi-five!

Generally, yes, things don't look all that great, and yes, we should always keep history i..."

Yeah, I'm with you. Most the current crises around are the same kind that pop up all the time, and then soon forgotten.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) Right.

And might I mention that everytime I see the title to this thread, I think it says WWII, and I get excited, because that has always been one of my favourite kind-of-modern eras to learn about? And then I realize what it is, and... *sigh*

message 35: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Right.

And might I mention that everytime I see the title to this thread, I think it says WWII, and I get excited, because that has always been one of my favourite kind-of-modern eras to learn abo..."

Me too! I always think it's a WWII thread... Maybe we ought to make one...

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) If you do, please put a link here... lol.

message 37: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

No problem.

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) :)

message 39: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Ok so I just basically missed everything. I lost focus sorry. It went kinda like this:

1. What does that mean, DH?
2. Oooh does DH know that that could be shortened to M.A.D?
3. Oh I got that Joe but that doesn't mean much.
4. What the Jason?!

And yea, that's pretty much how that ended.

message 40: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) S'ok, Paigetwo... Maybe I can sort it out for you? Or at least #4?

Jason's comment made sense to me, if it's this one you're thinking of: "If someone hacked into a countries computers, they would have access to EVERYTHING, and could shut down all the weapon systems, the power grid, everything."

This is definitely a weakness. We've become so dependent on technology. If someone shot down our satellites or gave our military computers viruses, well... We'd have to revert to older methods, which I dare say we probably aren't teaching as much as we used to (I'd have to ask an actual military person about this, but this is the impression I get).

message 41: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Oh no, I didn't actually READ what Jason said. I got stuck at the whole "it's Jason" spot...

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gwenhyver42) Ah....

message 43: by Mojoboy31, Kitchen Ninja (new)

Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Oh no, I didn't actually READ what Jason said. I got stuck at the whole "it's Jason" spot..."

I take it you know each other?

message 44: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Mojoboy31 wrote: "Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Oh no, I didn't actually READ what Jason said. I got stuck at the whole "it's Jason" spot..."

I take it you know each other?"

Yea

message 45: by Maximillian (new)

Maximillian (maximillianthefirst) Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Ok so I just basically missed everything. I lost focus sorry. It went kinda like this:

2. Oooh does DH know that that could be shortened to M.A.D?
3. Oh I got that Joe ..."

I was joking about the similarity to the name of this thread and the name of the most recent consoles from Nintendo.

Yes, I do.

message 46: by notyourfriend, ~Forgive Me~ (new)

Demonhunter wrote: "Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "Ok so I just basically missed everything. I lost focus sorry. It went kinda like this:

2. Oooh does DH know that that could be shortened to M..."

Alright? I'm completely lost here, but yea sure.

message 47: by The Phantom (new)

The Phantom (zerosummations) | 1052 comments Too much terrorism for anywhere to spend attention on warring against (relative) innocents.