mothereaders discussion

Little Century > I'm in.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments Looks like a good book to start with. I'm in.

message 2: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 13 comments Mod
Ok Brittany. Why can't anyone else join? Was it hard for you to join?

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments It was easy, it is not a button you push but just text on the group screen that says join. I don't know if that makes sense.?

message 4: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (jcsmith816) | 7 comments I am at the library to get the book :-)

message 5: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimbertower) | 3 comments Okay, so are we reading the same book each month? Are we telling each other about books we've read too?

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cutiedaisie) | 8 comments Ok! I'm really in now. Did the library have more than one copy?

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Kimber I would love to hear about other books you've read. Im always looking for new things to read. But I thought it would be fun to read the same book at the same time so we could talk about it. And we should take turns picking the book so we get some variety. If anyone has already read the book or has decided that they are too busy you can leave it at any time and pick it back up at a later date. No big deal. Just wanted to try something fun. So lets start reading the book next week. And please post your thoughts as you read.

message 8: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimbertower) | 3 comments Lindsay wrote: "Kimber I would love to hear about other books you've read. Im always looking for new things to read. But I thought it would be fun to read the same book at the same time so we could talk about it. ..."

Ah, gotcha.
I will track down the book really quick.
I've been taking a break from some really good nonfiction books I have been reading and I'm going through the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. Just started book 3 last night. I can see why they are being made into movies. Fun reads, but I don't like the crime scenes. I like the rest however, so I keep skimming the violent stuff.

message 9: by Lindsay (new)

Ok ladies. Who has started the book? I am currently on page 53 and I love it so far. Strong narrative voice. Which is a must for a good book in my opinion. I can't quite tell where it's going yet. And I don't want to give away spoilers. What is everyone else thinking?

message 10: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (jcsmith816) | 7 comments I am on 36, and I am really liking it too, I feel like I am missing something, but I will Catch on as I keep reading...

message 11: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimbertower) | 3 comments I am going to get it on my kindle tonight.

Do me a favor, any of you? If there is a plot twist that is super sad, please message me and tell me? Yep, I'm that girl who googles the plot of a movie before I watch it so I know who is going to die. Before google I made the movie theater employees tell me all the plot twists in advance. I'm a huge wimp.

message 12: by Lindsay (new)

Ok. Had to add a disclaimer! Kimber there is no death that I know of. And I can say so far is not an overly sad book. BUT. If you are not into love scenes, skip pages 107-109. It's nothing to raunchy. But I wanted to let you know. And it's not involving who you think....I am still waiting for a love interest to develop between pick and Esther?!? What is everyone thinking?

message 13: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (jcsmith816) | 7 comments That's what i keep thinking, but then they are cousins right? Would they do that?

message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments I haven't gotten too far into the book yet, but I agree it has a strong narrative voice which is great! I can't wait to get more into it.

message 15: by Lindsay (new)

Chandra I was thinking they still married first cousins back then. But I could be wrong.

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cutiedaisie) | 8 comments Still waiting for mine in the mail... But i'm reading some other good ones while i wait. The reviews say it is similar to My Antonia. Has anyone read that? We had to read it in high school.

message 17: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (jcsmith816) | 7 comments I guess you are probably right

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments I'm finished. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone but..... My first complaint is that I had a lot of conflicting emotions towards the characters and I wish I had more. I just felt lacking in that department. I'm a very detail oriented personal and when I read I want to know a lot about the characters and there thoughts/lives. Overall though, the book had a good plot and I was tricked a few times in thinking something would happen and then it turned out different then I thought. Let me know when I can really talk about the book :)

message 19: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (jcsmith816) | 7 comments Man, I am probably the slowest reader in the group I am on 130!!! Where is everyone else

message 20: by Lindsay (new)

I finished! I see what you mean Brittany. Some characters were unfinished. But i really liked it. It kind of reminded me of a western. Did anyone Else thing it dragged in the middle a little bit? I want to talk about it also!!!! Let me know when everyone finishes. Brittany you are next to pick a book, so start looking lady!

message 21: by Lindsay (new)

Ps. Chandra don't feel like you have to kill yourself reading. Take your time, reading is supposed to be fun after all. Brittany and I read really fast. Take your time friend.

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cutiedaisie) | 8 comments I finally got my book in the mail today! I've only managed a few pages but it's so good! I'm not sure i would have had the guts to do that at 18. Orphan or not.

message 23: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (jcsmith816) | 7 comments Ok ladies I am going in a trip with out my kids this weekend, hopefully I will have the book done when I get back! :-)

message 24: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cutiedaisie) | 8 comments Finished. Does anyone need the book?

message 25: by Lindsay (new)

Melanie, what did you think of the book?

message 26: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (cutiedaisie) | 8 comments So i don't want to spoil the book but here are my thoughts.
I agree somewhat with brittany about being left hanging with the characters but in some ways i think the author left these details vague in an effort to make the characters more relatable to readers. In essence, she is saying, it doesn't matter how the story ended but what matters are the principles on which the end of the story began. What matters is that Esther realized who she was and who she wasn't and started making decisions accordingly instead of being so worried about others. At the same time, this novel illustrates how deeply our decisions affect others around us. If i gained a "moral of the story" for myself, it is that the things we do and say as mothers sink deeper and have greater affect than we know. Even though Esther's mother died, her life still greatly influenced her daughter and who she became. On a lighter note- it was fun to read about some idiosyncrasies of a small town.

message 27: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments I agree Melanie, it makes me wonder about the Postal Service these days. ;). Just kidding.

message 28: by Chandra (new)

Chandra (jcsmith816) | 7 comments These last there Weeks have been crazy I am on like 260 but I bet I won't finish it for a few Weeks, you guys.are totally.fine.to.discuss it, I will join in with whatnot have read so far

message 29: by Lindsay (new)

Totally agree Melanie it reminded me of little house on the prairie with the lady reading the mail!

message 30: by Lindsay (new)

K. Hopefully everyone is finished reading the light between oceans. Our next person to pick a book is Chandra. What do you think chan? It might be fun to do something holidayish. Just an idea. I'm up for anything!