On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

More Authors > Daniel Woodrell

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 94 comments I just finished Winter's Bone. What a book! Woodrell uses words as tools, in the best sense of the word. Words like balky and uglied and wamble and jouncy. As readers, we're set down in the Ozark Mountains in winter. If we want the story, we have to endure the cold along with the characters. His female protagonist, Ree Dolly, is unforgettable. There is a mystery here, but this isn't a thriller. You could sum up the plot in a few sentences. But the characters and the language - especially the language - make this a book to savor.

message 2: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Scout wrote: "I just finished Winter's Bone. What a book! Woodrell uses words as tools, in the best sense of the word. Words like balky and uglied and wamble and jouncy. As readers, we're set down in the Ozark M..."

Woodrell has just released his latest novel, The Maid's Version concerning the explosion of a small dance hall in Missouri. For those near Oxford, Ms. on August 11, Woodrell will be reading and signing his latest novel at Off Square Books beginning at 5 pm. I'll be there!

Mike S.

message 3: by Josh (new)

Josh | 185 comments Just finished Sweet Mister. Loved it. This one is on hold at the library. He's also coming to the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville in October. Hope to meet him then.

message 4: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3972 comments Mod
I won a copy of The Maid's Versionin a Goodreads giveaway and just finished it. It was amazing! I would surely love to get to one of those events, but that is not possible right now. I recommend it to anyone. Woodrell is a talented author who knows the people he writes about, and knows how to string words together to create worlds.

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry Bassett | 0 comments This article is in the media about a new direction for Daniel Woodrell:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/author...

message 6: by Jack (last edited Sep 15, 2013 07:51AM) (new)

Jack Long | 5 comments Larry wrote: "This article is in the media about a new direction for Daniel Woodrell:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/author..."

Wow! I had no idea he had colon cancer surgery. The Maid's Version is a fantastic book. Woodrell is one of those few authors of whom I'll run out and buy their new book without reading a review. I know it will be great, and he hasn't disappointed yet.

Thanks for the link, Larry.

message 7: by Jack (new)

Jack Long | 5 comments Diane wrote: "I won a copy of The Maid's Versionin a Goodreads giveaway and just finished it. It was amazing! I would surely love to get to one of those events, but that is not possible right now. I recommend..."

Make a seat for me on that bus, Diane. I recently finished the book too and absolutely loved it. He has the talent for saying so much in so few pages.

message 8: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

I had the pleasure of meeting Donald Woodrell at Off Square Books in Oxford, Ms., on August 11, 2013. A large crowd gathered for the reading and signing.

An added bonus was Tom Franklin's enthusiastic greeting of Woodrell. Franklin grinned holding out his copy of The Maid's Version, saying "You'll sign this for me, won't you?" Woodrell wryly answered, "I don't have a pen." HAH!

Woodrell gave a lengthy reading from his new work. He also indicated his writing was taking a new direction as indicated from the article Larry posted to this thread. Woodrell emphasized that The Maid's Version originated with family recollections of the actual explosion of a dance hall about which the town still argues over whether the incident was an accident or an intentional act.

Woodrell's reading was soft spoken and fast. The crowded audience was sitting on the edge of their seats.

photo 063_zps49cdb4bf.jpg

Woodrell at the signing table

Woodrell graciously signed my copy of The Outlaw Album: Stories as well as The Maid's Version.

photo 61979653-0190-448f-b121-fee510ca6c47_zpsf7db0e08.jpg

Donald Woodrell and Lawyer Stevens, who is bald under that hat in his profile shot.

Thanks to my wife, Martha Jo, for serving as photographer.

Consider subscribing to Square Books Newsletter. The store has been in operation since 1979 and is the Publisher's Weekly Bookstore of the Year. Can't make a signing? Off Square Books gladly reserves orders for signed copies and ships.

I certainly hope to meet Trail Members at signing events in the future.

Mike S.
Lawyer Stevens

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack Long | 5 comments Mike wrote: "I had the pleasure of meeting Donald Woodrell at Off Square Books in Oxford, Ms., on August 11, 2013. A large crowd gathered for the reading and signing.

An added bonus was Tom Franklin's enthusi..."

Strange as it may sound to my non-literary enthusiast friends, a trip to Oxford, MS is on my bucket list, if only to visit Rowan Oak and Square Books.

message 10: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (last edited Sep 16, 2013 08:51AM) (new)

Laura | 1999 comments Mod
Mike wrote: "I had the pleasure of meeting Donald Woodrell at Off Square Books in Oxford, Ms., on August 11, 2013. A large crowd gathered for the reading and signing.

An added bonus was Tom Franklin's enthusi..."

Wow, thanks for sharing. That's interesting. I am looking forward to his new book. Love the pics and the "no Hat" look!

message 11: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3972 comments Mod
That's a great picture, Mike. I hope this book gets a nod from the people who decide the nominees for National Book Award. It deserves it.

message 12: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new)

Laura | 1999 comments Mod
Just finished The Death of Sweet Mister by Woodrell. He doesn't disappoint! The title of the book is so fitting. I did miss the strong female characters that we saw in Tomato Red and Winter's Bone. Now to read his newest one released!

message 13: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Diane wrote: "That's a great picture, Mike. I hope this book gets a nod from the people who decide the nominees for National Book Award. It deserves it."

Laura wrote: "Mike wrote: "I had the pleasure of meeting Donald Woodrell at Off Square Books in Oxford, Ms., on August 11, 2013. A large crowd gathered for the reading and signing.

Thanks for your photo comments. *grin*
I'm really looking forward to this one, too!

Mike

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misslupinelady) I came across this short article, part of the Atlantic's series on authors' favorite passages. Here Daniel Woodrell talks about Hemingway's A Moveable Feast:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainm...