Something Old, Something New discussion

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
This topic is about Stiff
Archived Reads - 2013 > September 2013 - Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
Here is the place to discuss all things to do with this book.
Please be aware there could be spoilers!

message 2: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've been reading this book for a couple of days now and think it is totally fascinating so far.
I love reading medical related books like these and can't believe some of the historical facts that it has highlighted on how developments came about in the surgical field.
I hope it stays this good!

Kate S I just picked this up at the library yesterday. I will probably start it on Thursday. I am looking forward to it.

message 4: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate S wrote: "I just picked this up at the library yesterday. I will probably start it on Thursday. I am looking forward to it."

Excellent! I hope you like it as much I have do so far!

message 5: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh my God! I am finding Chapter 3 utterly disgusting but oh so intriguing. Who would ever have thought that (view spoiler)

Kate S I finished this book today. Who knew about a lot of things people studied about dead bodies? Not I. I was especially entertained by the old studies with executed criminals. I could have done without the discussions regarding the head transplants/full body transplants and the animal studies. But for the most part I found it interesting.

message 7: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know! I haven't been this fascinated but also just as horrified by a book in a long time.
I love how it was a punishment threat to be dissected if you committed a crime and were given the death penalty!
And yes, some of the information on what they used animals for has sickened me a little bit.
I've been reading it quite slowly though as there's a lot of information to digest and my poor husband is getting sick of hearing me update him on the latest bit of morbid info I've learnt each day as I've been reading it :-)

Kate S Glad to hear I am not the only one whose husband didn't want to hear about the details of this book.

message 9: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished this book yesterday and can't say enough how much I loved it!
I love medical stuff (from my days when I used to be a vet nurse) and this book equally fascinated, horrified, intrigued and humoured me to no end.
I totally recommend this to anyone who has a bit of a morbid fascination with this type of subject.