Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
This topic is about Cetaganda
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold , Sometimes in September

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2013 06:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments

Cetaganda is the 5th installment of the Hugo-award winning adventures of Miles Vorkosigan in chronological order , in which Miles and Cousin Ivan go to Cetaganda to play the part of sprigs of the nobility doing their diplomatic duty by good old Barrayar. The idea is that they will gain diplomatic polish on this simple mission, but when the Cetagandan empress dies naturally and her lifelong attendant dies unnaturally - apparently a suicide, but there are rumors - Miles and Ivan find themselves in the thick of it. Miles tries to play detective in a strange, complicated, and deceptively alien culture. Meanwhile, handsome and lascivious Ivan manages to get himself involved with several women at the same time - all of whom are TROUBLE from the word go. Miles had always wanted to save the Empire - it was just that the Cetagandan wasn't exactly the empire he'd had in mind...

Gisela, Vi and I will be reading this in September, I hope!!!

The author writes her books so that each can be read on its own. I hope more people will join us!

message 2: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I like these covers! Naked women and Ivan:D

message 3: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments LOL! Just read the synopsis and it's so funny. Wherever Miles go, trouble and calamity follows.. And with Ivan.. can't wait to start!

message 4: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments When do you want to read this?
I want to start an audio book today , my choices are between this and Celebrity in Death.
I want to read this with you so I'll probably go with the in death book.

message 5: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments How about Friday? Or Monday? There's a IT exhibition going on this weekend here in Singapore and I'm getting a laptop. I'll definitely be busy with it over the weekend..

message 6: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Monday is good for me , we have another buddy read on monday but I'm going to read that one and I will listen to this one so I'm good.
I hope Gisela join us ! Gisela?

message 7: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Don't know yet...

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments LAMO ,you added it to your title :D

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Do you want us to wait until you are out of your slump?

message 10: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments It's the longest I've ever been on a slump!

message 11: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Do you want us to wait until you are out of your slump?"

I don't know how long that'll be and I still havent read the Vor Game.

message 12: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I wish I could find a way to get you out of the slump:(

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I started this morning ! Miles and trouble are hand in hand from the beginning !

message 14: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments I'm starting it once I finish my current book.

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Great :) I haven't had much time for audio today.only on chapter 2. I am doing another buddy reas at the same time :P

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Sep 09, 2013 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm listening to description of Cetaganda Haut and Ghem lords dynamics.
It's really complicated and weird.

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments The Haut are just like the Psy race in Psy-changeling series!

message 18: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments The funniest scene ever in chapter 6 with Ivan !

message 19: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments Sorry ShoSho - we're having a really good weather so I was just sitting outside listening to audio or doing edits in GR. Didn't feel much like reading.

I am in Chapter 3 now - Miles and trouble are really hand-in-hand. They haven't gone much into Haut & Ghem Lords but I agree, it is complicated.

message 20: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments Just finished Chapter Seven:
1. I agree about Haut being Psy-like. I wonder if Nalini knew about the book before she wrote the series.
2. Wow! Does Miles gets himself involved in stuff that aren't his biz but the governor also underestimated Miles.

The Whole Cetaganda society is very complex. I love how Bujold has done the world building. They really feel like an alien society. Also, I appreciate how she unfolds the world - slowly with mystery instead of info dumping.

Lastly, Eye-Roll at Miles & his Haut woman obsession. I just know that's going to land him in trouble!

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm done.
It wasn't as exciting as the previous ones , but still really good.
His obsession with Haut Ryan(right spelling?) was just a bit more than I liked. He needs a woman :D

message 22: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4) by Lois McMaster Bujold is the first book in chronological order and the next book isn't about Miles, Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3) by Lois McMaster Bujold

What do you say about reading about Falling Free next?

We can wait until Gisela is caught up with us.

message 23: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments Me too. I agree. It wasn't as exciting as the others. His obsession with the Haut in general annoyed me. But I really liked the ending - Just imagine, if Miles had given the rod thingy to the security in the first place, half this might have been avoided. And he really needs a woman.

message 24: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments I'm okay with reading Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4) by Lois McMaster Bujold next. Sometime next week?

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments We have the next Dresden book buddy read on monday the 16th. I'll finish it in 4 days or so .

I can start on next thursday.

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Do you know anything about Dreamweaver's Dilemma by Lois McMaster Bujold ? This is the first book and not free falling but it looks a little bit weird

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments and my library doesn't have it

message 28: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I don't think I can get to it by Thursday , maybe Monday? I'll set the thread now so we can move to that one.

message 29: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi | 592 comments Oops sorry ShoSho! I left for a vacation immediately after my post and I completely forgot to check back in.

I don't know anything about that book but I can't source it either. Can we just read Falling Free?

message 30: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Here is the thread for Falling Free
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.