Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Read Discussions > October 2013: Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments Fun Fact: "Halloween has always been a holiday filled with mystery, magic and superstition. It began as a Celtic end-of-summer festival during which people felt especially close to deceased relatives and friends. For these friendly spirits, they set places at the dinner table, left treats on doorsteps and along the side of the road and lit candles to help loved ones find their way back to the spirit world."
Source

Theme: Break out the witches, ghosties and gothic novels...
I'm allowing any HF novels that fit a Halloween theme.

Rules for Nominating:
* ONE nomination per member
*There is no need to second or third a nomination
*AUTHORS- Before you nominate your book please read our Group rules
*Do not nominate books the group already has read. To check for previous group reads check the group's bookshelf: http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...
* LINK the title and book you are nominating. If you cannot link please include the title and author in your nomination. If there is no author included in your nomination I will not accept it.
Example: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
-or-
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield are both acceptable.

The nomination thread will run until August 31st. I will then put up the poll which will run until August 5th.

Thank you!

message 2: by Jayme (new)

message 7: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) New York by Edward Rutherfurd

Sorry the add book features isn't co-operating at the moment.

message 8: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie DeLuca (marjoried) | 9 comments How about The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, a chilling book set in a crumbling English country house.

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Anton | 211 comments Rav Hisda's Daughter, Book I: Apprentice: A Novel of Love, the Talmud, and Sorcery by Maggie Anton. Set in 3rd-century Babylonia, the place the very word "magic" comes from. Get ready for some "real sorcery," the spells and incantations that people actually used back then.

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier"

This doesn't look like it would count as HF. Did you want to nominate something else?

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments Nancy wrote: "New York by Edward Rutherfurd

Sorry the add book features isn't co-operating at the moment."

That's okay. Can you tell me how does this book fits the Halloween theme? The book description doesn't mention anything about it being gothic or featuring paranormal activity.

message 12: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments Jackie wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier"

It says it is HF in the genre on the book's page. However, it doesn't give a specific time period. I even looked in the author's biography because it is supposed to be based on her family. The main characters are supposed to be based on the author's grandparents. If the book was published in 1938 would that make it HF enough?

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanw610) | 12 comments I'm not sure if this counts as HF but keeping in the spirit of October

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane Katherine Howe

message 14: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1287 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier"

It says it is HF in the genre on the book's page. However, it doesn't give a specific time period. I even looked in the au..."

Jayme, the definition of historical fiction that we use is that the book is set 50 years prior to publication. The idea is that an author needs to do historical research to get period details correct. The genres on the main book page are determined by readers. Many just put anything in the past as historical fiction.

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I retract my nomination then.

message 16: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Jackie wrote: "Nancy wrote: "New York by Edward Rutherfurd

Sorry the add book features isn't co-operating at the moment."

That's okay. Can you tell me how does this book fits the Halloween theme? The book descr..."

I'm so sorry Jackie - my nomination has nothing to do with Halloween, I guess I didn't realize there was a theme.

message 17: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I thought about the Strange Case of Dr. Jackyll and Mr. Hyde but that wouldn't be considered HF.

message 19: by Jackie (last edited Sep 01, 2013 05:20PM) (new)

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (suzedesch) | 12 comments A Discovery of Witches

This takes place in the present and in the past, so I'm not sure if it's historical fiction...

message 21: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2775 comments I am reading that now. I haven't gotten to the part where it is in the past.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2231 comments Susan, nominations are over. The poll is up.

message 23: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) oops, missed the nominations thread!
I second The Mists of Avalon. Off to vote :-)