Memoirs and Biographies We Love discussion

10 Reasons Why Self-Published Books Don’t Sell

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mirta (new)

message 2: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Masumian (jacqueline_masumian) Thanks, for this link, Mirta. I've followed these guidelines, but need to be persistent on the marketing. It's a challenge, but I'm doing it!!

message 3: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp Jacqueline wrote: "Thanks, for this link, Mirta. I've followed these guidelines, but need to be persistent on the marketing. It's a challenge, but I'm doing it!!"

It is ABSOLUTELY a challenge. Best Wishes to all!

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Downey | 18 comments You know, this list is a great start, a good general guideline. However, I think lists like this can delude writers into believing we'll find The Answer. There's no simple answer out there. Otherwise, there would not be an infinite amount of analysis about the publishing industry, with tons of incredibly well-informed people coming to different conclusions. It's easy to say I've done everything on this list, but how do I know that? Really. Objectively. Do I honestly know that I didn't rush the process? How can I tell if my cover design is professional? Sure, I paid someone to design it, but how do I know it will be effective? It's very seductive to chase the allure of "how to sell more books in ten easy steps." I've got to write because I can't stop writing. Yes, pay for all the basics - cover design, copy edit, copy edit again, interior design. Sales are capricious. I write because I love to write. Writing more and reading more are the best things I can do for my writing.

message 5: by Bekka (new)

Bekka Here's a good follow-up article on marketing your book: http://www.shewrites.com/profiles/blo...

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Masumian (jacqueline_masumian) Thanks for the info, Bekka. Seems I'm a little late in pulling together a marketing plan for my book since it came out in January. Nevertheless, I press onward!

message 7: by Bekka (new)

Bekka I also came across some good material about the value of putting books on Amazon's KDP Select, which allows writers to give away freebies for promotion.

See: http://selfpublishingteam.com/kdp-sel...

And, also: http://karol.gajda.com/kdp-select/

message 8: by CeeCee (new)

CeeCee James | 8 comments Thank you for the links Mirta and Bekka.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (jashleyodell) | 3 comments The one thing the most seasoned self-published authors always seem to say is: don't sell the book. Sell yourself and your personal brand. Get people to like you as a person by being someone fun to follow via social media and people will feel compelled to buy from you. If you keep pushing your product, however, it tends to backfire because it gets annoying and/or lost in the noise. Interesting idea that's always made sense to me.

message 10: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Lesage | 1 comments That's really good advice. Now that you spell it out, I realize that's what I like about some of my favorite authors and that's what I try to do with my own work.

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill Scott (billscott1) | 4 comments Two of the main problems are getting newspaper/magazine reviews and prominent positioning in book shops. Many publications won't review self published books and assume that they must be awful. Large chain bookshops charge a lot for prominent display so, even if they are stocked, self published books are hidden away on the back shelves.

One independent bookshop created a window display with my books and sold a lot as a consequence. His staff also promoted it with customers with great success.

I had a good bit of newspaper coverage about my story because it was of historical interest, but that is not the same as a top newspaper reviewer recommending that readers buy it.

In short, what I am saying is that you need good quality third party endorsement if the book is to be a success.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Hutchins | 1 comments That's a good piece of advice. I will follow it.
Chris Hutchins (HARRY The People's Prince).

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Blake | 14 comments Ashley wrote: "The one thing the most seasoned self-published authors always seem to say is: don't sell the book. Sell yourself and your personal brand. Get people to like you as a person by being someone fun t..."

Ashley, Thank you for this good advice.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Hesse (laurahesse) | 1 comments Just found this thread. Very interesting and great advice.

I didn't realize how lucky I was that bookstores took me on in 2003 when I released my YA Christmas book and bookstore managers on Vancouver Island and in Vancouver put my novel up beside The Polar Express. I couldn't ask for better exposure. It resulted in TV and radio interviews.

My best advice is be prepared. You never know when the person chatting you up at the coffee bar is someone who can get you free publicity.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill Scott (billscott1) | 4 comments Exposure is the key. If you can persuade independent bookstores to give it a prominent display and promote the book, it makes an enormous difference. I sold loads of books in such a bookstore, but it was a different story in other bookshops, which hid it away on back shelves.

The major chains won't give it a prominent position unless you pay them a lot of money.The Buttercup: The Remarkable Story of Andrew Ewing and the Buttercup Dairy Company