Arthuriana -- all things King Arthur ! discussion

New Member Introduction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Adderley (markadderley) | 54 comments I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Mark Adderley. I was born in Crewe, England, but married an American lady and now live in the States. I'm an English professor--I'm in Missouri right now, but am moving to Wyoming in about three weeks. I'm also the author of a novel, The Hawk and the Wolf, the first part in a series called the Matter of Britain (see my website at www.markadderley.net).

message 2: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Ahh...fresh meat...pass the mead horn.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Adderley (markadderley) | 54 comments Actually, I was at Missouri Valley College, which is a small Presbyterian four-year college. Soon, though, I'll be at Wyoming Catholic College in Lander. I know some of the medieval folks at UMKC, though--a nice bunch.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin Olson Held (karinolsonheld) I'm Karin from North Dakota. I just joined goodreads, and am having fun exploring. I was so excited to see this group! In college, I took an honors class on Arthurian legends, and enjoy both the traditional Arthuriad as well as newer books.

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) Hi, I'm also from the Midwest (live and work in the Kansas City metro area). I'm a long time fantasy genre reader, but I got my start back in the 70s reading my grandmother's copies of Mary Stewart's Arthur novels. It's high time I dust them off and re-read them. :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, I'll introduce myself too! I'm in my freshman year at high school, I live in the Oregon. Um...I absolutely love Le Morte Darthur although I haven't read it in the original yet as I can't find a copy. I just finished Gawain and the Green Knight and I was reading the History of the Kings of Britain, but I lost it. :(

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I am Morgen, and although I know nearly nothing about it, I love the Celtic legends. Of course I love Malory, though.

message 8: by Ron (new)

Ron I'm Ron, semi-retired veteran living in Virginia. I've read and appreciated many later--even modern--Arthur tales, but I enjoy searching for the historic Arthur, or the historic roots of the fictional Arthur even more.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Adderley (markadderley) | 54 comments Ron wrote: "I'm Ron, semi-retired veteran living in Virginia. I've read and appreciated many later--even modern--Arthur tales, but I enjoy searching for the historic Arthur, or the historic roots of the fictio..."

I did a little reading on that a while ago. I suppose you've read Geoffrey Ashe's books The Discovery of King Arthur and Quest for Arthur's Britain and Leslie Alcock's Arthur's Britain?

message 10: by Ron (new)

Ron I have. Also, there are several lively threads on various websites, including www.romanarmytalk.com.

message 11: by Bob (new)

Bob | 37 comments Mod
Jon wrote: "Hi, I'm also from the Midwest (live and work in the Kansas City metro area). I'm a long time fantasy genre reader, but I got my start back in the 70s reading my grandmother's copies of Mary Stewar..." Mary Stewart's were my first as well. I'm sure many fans started their. Welcome!

message 12: by Steve (last edited Jul 05, 2009 06:07AM) (new)

Steve | 1 comments My name is Steve, and I'm from Virginia. I'm not all that up on Arthur (though I'm reading a related book right now), but I love literature and history, so perhaps, from time to time, I can bring something of interest to the group. For what it's worth, here's the title of a book I recently ran across in a bookstore remainder bin: Malory: The Knight Who Became King Arthur's Chronicler, by Christina Hardyment. I haven't read it yet, but just wanted to flag it for anyone who might be interested.

message 13: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Steve wrote: "My name is Steve, and I'm from Virginia. I'm not all that up on Arthur (though I'm reading a related book right now), but I love literature and history, so perhaps, from time to time, I can bring s..."

Steve, just read it last week. Pretty good.

message 14: by Thalia (new)

Thalia Hello, I am Thalia. I live in western Canada (Alberta currently). I'm a housewife and mommy to three small ones. I love to read and King Arthur and King Henry VIII absolutely capture my imagination so I'm very often reading something to do with one or the other. I too love history and literature and am looking forward to the rewards of membership in this group. Cheers!

message 15: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 188 comments Mod
Hi Thalia, you are very welcome to the group.

Have you read any Arthurian lit that you would recommend?

message 16: by Thalia (new)

Thalia Well, I love love love Mists of Avalon. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea though. Mary Stewarts trilogy is awesome, as are the classics. Recently I've read a few "Modern Day" takes on Arthur. Joan Upton Hall's "Arturo El Rey: Excalibur Regained Book 1" (post apocolyptic return of Arthur)and Peter David's "Knight Life" (humorous spin where Arthur comes back to run for political office in New York). Another, more traditional one that I enjoyed recently was "In the Shadow of Dragons (Book 2 of the Macsen's Treasure Series) by Kathleen Cunningham Guler. I'm trying to get my hands on book one!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) Hi everyone! I'm Jennifer, 27, married and from Nova Scotia. I'm really excited about this group. I also (like Thalia)love love love The Mists of Avalon. :)
It's one of my all-time favorites. I've always been fascinated by King Arthur and will be looking forward to finding recommendations to more books I should read.

message 18: by Bob (new)

Bob | 37 comments Mod
Welcome Jennifer. I'm also a fan of "The Mists of Avalon". I've always wondered about the follow up books and if they were any good. Did you read any? Has anyone? I think I've kept my distance from them out of fear that they might spoil the first.

message 19: by Jennifer (last edited Jul 10, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) I've read 2 of them; The Forest House and The Lady of Avalon. It's been a while since I've read them so I can't really give a good evaluation but I do remember enjoying them because of the topic but not finding them as entralling as Mists. From what I've read, a lot of MZB fans don't like Diana Paxson's style and are upset with her attempts. I personally didn't find that the two that I read (which weren't in series sequence, btw) didn't spoil the first at all. The characters, if I remember correctly, were almost all different. Vivian was in one of them but at an earlier age. I would recommend giving them a try, just with lower hopes than Mists.

message 20: by Thalia (new)

Thalia Funny you should mention the follow up books. I read Forest House too a while back (like a decade give or take a year) and found it good, just not outstanding like Mists and held off reading anymore because of that but I've recently decided that at some point I shall read them all and have assembled them as such (save for one I've yet to locate) on my bookshelf....soon. I'll get back to you all on that idea :) Cheers!

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 29, 2009 07:55PM) (new)

I joined a while ago, but this is the first time I have had a chance to read any of the threads. For me, it started with The Boy's King Arthur.

message 22: by Susan C (last edited Oct 24, 2009 02:47PM) (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) Hi, I'm 38 and read all types of genres except Sci Fi and romance. I'm really into European History right now but always enjoy a good suspenceful novel too.

I also loved The Mists of Avalon and I'm halfway through Jack Whyte's Arthur series. Any opinions on his series? Any other book suggestions?

P.S. Thanks for the invite Misfit! You're so good to me.:)

message 23: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Hi, I am Chrissie - born in the US, but spent most of my life in Sweden and currently live in Belgium. A total mix! I love literature about historical events, different countries and memoirs. What life throws at people is really often stranger than any science fiction author could ever dream up. I am totally new to the field of Arthurian legends but hey I want to learn more. Can one be addicted to learning?! I adore pets and have a 6 month old curly coated retriever that takes alot of my time too. Books and dogs (or other pets)- they're the best. Sarah, I loved your idea about that pet gallery here but I cannot figure out how to add a photo of Oscar under photos here at the group. Have you figured out how to add pics of your cat? Sawyer also was interested. The question is how.

message 24: by Diana (last edited Apr 12, 2010 05:49PM) (new)

Diana | 3 comments Hi I'm Diana, and I pretty much love anything based on King Arthur or around that time.
I actually found a list I made a while ago about books I was thinking about reading, I don't remember where I got the suggestion from so they actually might not even be Arthur related, I was hoping to get some opinions on weather I should actually read any of them

The Crystal Cave
The Hollow Hills
The Last Enchantment
The Mist O f Avalon
Black Horses for the King
The Once and Future King

message 25: by Old-Barbarossa (last edited Apr 12, 2010 11:15PM) (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments Just noticed no one has welcomed anyone for a while...too busy burnishing our armour and charging after questing beasts? Those fewmets get everywhere...
So...
Susan C, Chrissie, Diana, Thomas: Well met! Pull up a chair, just leave the "Siege Perilous" empty for the moment...not too comfy that one.
Don your cloak of raven feathers, bring your mead-horn, and take a look on our bookshelf for further pointers on the Grailquest...

message 26: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronicay) Diana wrote: "
I actually found a list I made a while ago about books I was thinking about reading"

Hi Diana

The Mary Stewart series is excellent, one of my favourite versions of the stories. It's a mixture of magic and realism, very well-written and atmospheric. I really liked the Mists of Avalon -- haven't read it for years, it's a feminist take on the story. Black Horses for the King -- don't know it at all. The Once and Future King is a classic, anyone interested in Arthuriana should read it.

My 2 centimes :)

message 27: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments Hi!

I'm Tony Hays, author of the new Arthurian Mystery series from Tor/Forge. The first, The Killing Way, was released last spring and the second, The Divine Sacrifice, was released on March 30th. They are set in a Dark Ages context. I invite you to try them. But beyond all of that, I am a serious student of both the historical Arthur and the literary Arthur. I'm fortunate to count among my friends the scholar Geoffrey Ashe and historian Christopher Snyder.

message 28: by SarahC (new)

Well, great that you have joined the group, Tony. Your books are certainly on my reading list, as you can see from former comments I have made here.

Are you a reader of Tristan? I hope to join the discussion that has begun on this group soon.

message 29: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments Thanks, Sarah. I'm in something of a curious position regarding Arthurian literature. Each of my books is or will be grounded in one or two of the older/oldest legends/folk tales/myths. I restrict myself to pretty much all of the pre Geoffrey of Monmouth material. In terms of any contemporary Arthurian fiction (particularly) my editor prefers that I don't read it. It's something she picked up from Mary Stewart, years ago. All of that said, I am certainly familiar with the Tristan story from the Mabinogion, but I can't really comment on newer books, such as Anna Elliot's Twilight of Avalon because I'm not allowed to read them. Does that make sense?

message 30: by SarahC (new)

Sounds like you have specific approach to avoid getting clouded by other writers' themes and ideas? or something like that? I was really referring to the von Strassburg that is beginning here, but that would be out of your time period also, right?

message 31: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments I do have a specific approach, but, more to the point, in today's litigious society, I can hardly be accused of plagiarizing someone if I haven't read them. Which was Mary Stewart's point. That said, when I started this project I had already determined to stay with the pre-Galfridian texts, archaeological studies, etc. to work from. I wanted to deal with an historical Arthur and his world. Yes, von Strassburg would be out of my time period. It can be annoying, but I see my editor's viewpoint.

message 32: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Tony wrote: "Hi!

I'm Tony Hays, author of the new Arthurian Mystery series from Tor/Forge.

Oooh- lovely to have you here! I enjoyed Killing Way. Found it very 'welcoming' if that makes any sense. You managed to make me feel included in the story -as if I was right there among friends I cared about and I look forward to following Malgwyn through more adventures.

message 33: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments Well, thank you, Sandra! I'm glad to be here.

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie (ygraine) Hello! My name is Katie, I'm 24 and live in Southampton. I've always loved the Arthurian legends, but somehow managed to get through a Medieval English MA without once touching them. I intended to write my dissertation on some aspect of Arthuriana, but was so busy learning other stuff that I didn't have time to do enough research to work out what I wanted to focus on. However, this does mean that I now have a large collection of academic Arthurian works which I can now read at my leisure, without the distraction of translating Old French philosophy.

I've already picked up a fair few suggestions from here of books that I haven't read, so I look forward to picking your brains for more books to add to my ever-increasing wishlist.

message 35: by Tony (new)

Tony Hays | 9 comments Hi, Katie! I'm the author of Tor/Forge's new Arthurian Mystery series. I'm frequently in Southampton, visiting the writer's group there. They have been very supportive over the last couple years. I expect to be over there in the fall. Welcome to the group!

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (ygraine) Thank you you two. I'm not allowed to buy any more books at the moment as I have far too many read, but I'll definitely add your books to my list to investigate. As I have a four hour commute to work every day it shouldn't take me too long for them to come to the top of the pile.

message 37: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 301 comments 4 hour commute!?!?
Nasty...
Do you live in a different country to the one you work in? Just on the edge of London and work in the centre? Or use dark ages transport and travel across peat bogs?

message 38: by Katie (new)

Katie (ygraine) I live near Southampton and work in central London, so an hour and three quarters in to the city and then 15 minutes on the tube. It's doing wonders for my reading pile though

message 39: by Rich (new)

Rich Stoehr (glassisland) | 8 comments I just realized I joined the group and I never really introduced myself - My name is Rich, and I'm Arthuriac. It's important to admit your addictions.

I have to admit that I've been reading less Arthuriana lately than I used to, but...so many books, so little time. I've got lots on my shelf to read. I keep buying them! Just not enough time to read them all.

Tony, I'll have to check out your books! I'll be keeping an eye out for them.

message 40: by Michele (last edited Jun 25, 2010 05:03AM) (new)

Michele Katie wrote: "...I now have a large collection of academic Arthurian works which I can now read at my leisure..."

Welcome, Katie! Feel free to add titles to the group bookshelf -- there's a shelf for works on the history Arthur and the legends, and a shelf for bibliographies/lit crit, that sort of thing. Enjoy!

Rich, no need to admit your addiction to THIS group -- said addiction is actually an entrance requirement, so we all just assume LOL!

message 41: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) | 2 comments Hi, Jax from Toronto. Love Arthurian legend, I read way too much of it, even some of the...crappier books. Currently reading Lackey's "Gwenhyfar: The White Spirit" ^_^

message 42: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) Hello. I'm Elise from Sydney, Australia.
I have a slight obsession with the Arthurian Legend. I am currently reading a book by Stephen R Lawhead called "Arthur" It's the third book in the Pendragon cycle.
I haven't read loads of Arthurian books but I own quite a few. I've read Le Morte D'arthur and the first book in the King Arthur series by M K Hume (My father currently has the last 2 books held hostage as he is reading them). I've also read bits and pieces of other books.
I really love to talk and am always up for an indepth chat or just goofing off.

message 43: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments Hello, I'm Annie.
I'm just beginning to get back to reading the books that I love for fun. I think Mary stewart first drew me in with her Arthurian books. Anyway, I think that I will find the best of the best here to read. Nice to meet you!

message 44: by SarahC (new)

Hi Annie, I was just telling someone that the other day myself -- that Mary Stewart so impressed me her writing when I first read her that I had to find out more about the Arthurian legends. Here I am still today - still learning! Happy to have you on the group.

message 45: by V.J. (new)

V.J. Chambers (vjchambers) | 9 comments Hi everyone. I'm Valerie, lifelong King Arthur fanatic. It's really cool to have found this group!

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael | 42 comments Hi, Valerie. Pull up a seat at the Round Table :-)

message 47: by Ben (new)

Ben | 2 comments Hi all

My name is Ben and i'm from Southampton,
I'm a recently joined member & This is my 1st posting with you!

I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you on the Arthur
Books I have read, as well as receiving some recommendations from
Some of you.

Mail me if u like.

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael | 42 comments Hiya, Ben. Welcome to the group.

message 49: by Ben (new)

Ben | 2 comments Cheers Michael!

Thanks for the welcome!

I'll endeavour to post something soon, maybe this weekend if time allows.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Carpinello (cherylcarpinello) | 6 comments Hello. I love King Arthur and the myths that surround the legend. I taught the Legend for nearly 20 years in high school, and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it also! I've read a lot of the fiction out there and some of the non-fiction. I also write children's novels to introduce young readers to the characters and the Legend itself. Love it all!

« previous 1 3 4