What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > YA about a boy who befriends a wild man and brings him coffee /s

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordan Mills (new)

Jordan Mills | 21 comments I read this book when I was in sixth grade in 1989. It may have been on a list, as it was assigned to the class and we discussed it. Another book we read just before or after that was The House of Sixty Fathers. Short of being published some time before 1989, I have no idea when it was written or who wrote it.

I have the book closely associated with A Day No Pig Would Die (Peck), but I think we also read that in the same semester.

The protagonist was about my age (10-ish) and I think it was set in the swamps of Louisiana. He made a friend of a "wild man" who lived in the deep swamp. He brought the friend a jar of coffee, and thought about the man pulling his own molar and what it would take to be able to do that.

The name Lonnie is prominent, probably either that of the protagonist or of his friend.

Help?

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
No Promises In The Wind has a character named Lonnie and is the sort of book teachers assign, but I don't recall the specifics.

message 3: by Jordan Mills (new)

Jordan Mills | 21 comments Andria wrote: "No Promises In The Wind has a character named Lonnie and is the sort of book teachers assign, but I don't recall the specifics."

Pretty sure that's not it, but thanks.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38240 comments Mod
Probably a stretch, but it came up in a search of Louisiana YA: New Boy in School

"When his family moves from Louisiana to Tennessee, seven-year-old Lennie discovers he is the only black person in his classroom."

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I haven't found a summary yet, but "Bayou Boy" by Eleanor Frances Lattimore was published in 1946 and is about a black boy.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

The Bayou Boy is age 6. Don't know his name.

message 7: by Jordan Mills (new)

Jordan Mills | 21 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I haven't found a summary yet, but "Bayou Boy" by Eleanor Frances Lattimore was published in 1946 and is about a black boy."

Can't find a summary either, but the boy is too young.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Was the boy black, white, or other?

message 9: by Jordan Mills (new)

Jordan Mills | 21 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Was the boy black, white, or other?"

I remember imagining him as white. It might just be my assumption if it wasn't specified.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Okay, I think I found it....it was Florida swamp, not Louisiana. The protagonist is a boy named Lonny.

Weakfoot: The Ghost of Cramer’s Island

It goes by both or either title, Weakfoot, and The Ghost of Cramer's Island.

Short summary: "A young boy living near the Okefenokee Swamp in the early twentieth century befriends a fugitive, slays a panther, and becomes involved in his first romance."

Longer summary:

Back in the Cypress Swamp, before it became known as the Okefenokee, young Lonny goes out for a routine day of possum hunting and has a run-in with the dangerous old panther locals know as Weakfoot. Later, when his father tries to revenge Weakfoot's attack on Doc Manners, Lonny once again stumbles into danger and is taken prisoner by crazy old Tom Smutt, an escaped murderer who's been hiding out for 17 years and given up for dead by just about everybody.

Continued, with spoilers, here:

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 11: by Jordan Mills (new)

Jordan Mills | 21 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Okay, I think I found it....it was Florida swamp, not Louisiana. The protagonist is a boy named Lonny.

Weakfoot: The Ghost of Cramer’s Island

It goes by both or either title, Weakfoot, and The G..."

Oh man, I think this is it. I forgot about the panther and the cottonmouth bite. I might have got it conflated with huck finn, but all the details from reviews sound familiar. I've already ordered it so we'll see... But Lobstergirl might have my unending thanks.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Fingers crossed!

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Be sure to come back and let us know if Lobstergirl found it for you Jordan.

message 14: by Jordan Mills (new)

Jordan Mills | 21 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Be sure to come back and let us know if Lobstergirl found it for you Jordan."

Well the book has to come in first!

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I know--but it's ssoooo hard to wait to hear back if a book it the correct one or not. And Lobstergirl has been on a real streak lately, so hoping she gets to keep her streak going.

message 16: by Jordan Mills (new)

Jordan Mills | 21 comments Yep, that was it! Thanks!

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Yay.